Your favorite local businesses

My favorite local restaurants are Log Jam and Bistro LeRoux, both in Queensbury, NY.

Adirondack Guitar (Hudson Falls, NY) is a nice, small music store.  They have a pretty big "lefty" inventory, which is unheard of in most stores.  My son's a lefty and we've bought 3 guitars there (and an amp).  Great service.  They don't mind tire kickers and they're very helpful.

okay, let's leave food out of it just for arguments sake.

I live for the most part in the West End of Richmond Va

1) Puritan Cleaners. Best Dry Cleaners I have ever experienced bar none, Seems like a great corporate culture that gives a ton back to the community, Fantastic counter people that go out their way to help, great technology..overall just an outstanding business.

2) Excelsior Air These are my HVAC guys. Honest, hardworking two-man shop that again does what it takes to make sure I am a happy customer, including coming out late night if needed.

3) Cabin Creek Auto. Been taking my cars to Bubba since I  first moved to Richmond in 04. Honest, fair, will always explain options and expected outcomes. I don't get a break price wise per se, but also know I only get needed repairs at a fair price.

4) IN DC, John Greenan and Sons Jewelers. Got to know Billy Greenan very well through a mutual friend, and have been buying jewelry, especially diamonds, through Billy since 1994.Billy passed a few years ago, but his family is just as honest and fair, and if anyone is buying engagement, wedding or any diamond jewelry in DC and does not go to Greenan and Son's they are not giving themselves a fair shake.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2017 at 6:05 AM, plenzmd1 said:

okay, let's leave food out of it just for arguments sake.

I live for the most part in the West End of Richmond Va

1) Puritan Cleaners. Best Dry Cleaners I have ever experienced bar none, Seems like a great corporate culture that gives a ton back to the community, Fantastic counter people that go out their way to help, great technology..overall just an outstanding business.

2) Excelsior Air These are my HVAC guys. Honest, hardworking two-man shop that again does what it takes to make sure I am a happy customer, including coming out late night if needed.

3) Cabin Creek Auto. Been taking my cars to Bubba since I  first moved to Richmond in 04. Honest, fair, will always explain options and expected outcomes. I don't get a break price wise per se, but also know I only get needed repairs at a fair price.

4) IN DC, John Greenan and Sons Jewelers. Got to know Billy Greenan very well through a mutual friend, and have been buying jewelry, especially diamonds, through Billy since 1994.Billy passed a few years ago, but his family is just as honest and fair, and if anyone is buying engagement, wedding or any diamond jewelry in DC and does not go to Greenan and Son's they are not giving themselves a fair shake.

No Wegmans???

Shameless promotion:

If you find yourself in the Finger Lakes, check me out at the Waterside Wine Bar in Phelps. I am the Chef (and only cook), and we are winning awards. Try my brisket, it's the best north of the mason dixon. (Bold claim I know)

Other than that, Wegmans is the best grocery chain in the country and we are lucky to be near them.

Also Duffs/Anchor Bar (originator of chicken wings), Nick Tahoes (originator of the garbage plate), Teddy's (originator of chicken riggies), and Schwabl's (for the best Beef on Weck). We truly have some GREAT local delicacies.

5 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

If I included food and drink this would be way too long.

Ernesto Custom Tailor in uptown Albany.

Parkway Music in Clifton Park.

Hilton Music Center in Colonie Center.

Steiner's Sports in Glenmont.

I've always like Parkway a lot.  I actually just bought a guitar there for my son for Christmas.  I was going to add them, but figured 40 min. away wouldn't really be considered local.

Hilton, on the other hand ... their northern arm of the business - North Country Guitar - is staffed with !@#$s.  When my son first became interested in playing guitar (less than 2 years ago), I brought him in there (reluctantly, as I've had less than stellar experiences with them dating back to the 80s) to see if they had any lefty guitars.  They had one and the guy plugged it in for him so he could noodle around.

Literally 5 minutes later he comes over, turns off the amp, says, "I'll take that," and takes the guitar from my son.  I had zero intention to buy the piece of ****, anyway, so I said, let's go, son.  And we left.  I went home and ripped them in a Facebook review.  A couple months later, my son was out with his mom.  He said he wanted to run into North Country guitar to see if they had a pedal he was looking for.  They did.  He asked if he could try it.  The guy said, "we don't have any 9V batteries."  That was bull ****.  Mind you, my son was 13 at the time.  So my son said, "that's okay, can I just try the guitar out real quick?"  The guy said, "actually, no  you can't, because your father had to be an !@#$ and write a bad review."  So my son left and went back to his mom who was waiting in the car.  He then went BACK in and told the guy that he didn't appreciate him talking about his father like that and that there was good reason for the bad review, and that he'd never come back to that store again.  He made me proud with that.

Anyway, I've been in the Hilton in Colonie Center and have not had any negative experiences.  I'd still just as soon go to Guitar Center or Parkway, instead.

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've always like Parkway a lot.  I actually just bought a guitar there for my son for Christmas.  I was going to add them, but figured 40 min. away wouldn't really be considered local.

Hilton, on the other hand ... their northern arm of the business - North Country Guitar - is staffed with !@#$s.  When my son first became interested in playing guitar (less than 2 years ago), I brought him in there (reluctantly, as I've had less than stellar experiences with them dating back to the 80s) to see if they had any lefty guitars.  They had one and the guy plugged it in for him so he could noodle around

I'm beginning to think you just like complaining :D

That's unfortunate though.  I know Rich Hilton and he's a great dude.  Truth be told I didn't even know North Country Guitar existed.

• Like (+1) 1