Trump Israel and Jerusalem, oh my

Tiberius

Trump, Haley warnings ignored as UN condemns moving American Embassy to Jerusalem

The 128 member states of the General Assembly voted to condemn Trump's move, with just seven other states joining the U.S. and Israel in voting against the resolution.

There were 35 abstentions

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/21/un-showdown-looms-as-jerusalem-vote-nears-haley-threatens-to-take-names.html

Israeli diplomats: US, South Sudan, Guatemala, Togo, Nauru, Kiribati, Palau, Marshal Islands will vote against the UNGA resolution on Trump's Jerusalem announcement

The full list of abstaining countries was: Antigua-Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, the Bahamas, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cameroon,

Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Fiji, Haiti, Hungary, Jamaica, Kiribati, Latvia, Lesotho, Malawi,

Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Rwanda, the Solomon Islands, South Sudan, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda and Vanuatu

21 were absent.

It is also noteworthy that 21 of the 193 UN member states were absent for the vote including Kenya, Georgia and Ukraine which have close U.S. ties.

Member states that voted in favour of the resolution

A: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan

B: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi

C: Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Chad, Chile, China, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica

E: Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia

F: Finland, France

G: Gabon, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guinea, Guyana

I: Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy

J: Japan, Jordan

K: Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan

L: Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg

M:Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique

N: Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway

O: Oman

P: Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Portugal

Q: Qatar

R: Republic of Korea (South Korea), Russia

S: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria

T: Tajikistan, Thailand, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Tunisia, Turkey

U: United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Uzbekistan

V: Venezuela, Vietnam

Y: Yemen

Z: Zimbabwe

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/jerusalem-resolution-country-voted-171221180116873.html

It looks like Trump created a excuse to reduce UN funding and foreign aid to countries who voted against U.S.   jmo

Edited by ALF
added info

1 hour ago, ALF said:

It looks like Trump created a excuse to reduce UN funding and foreign aid to countries who voted against U.S.   jmo

The United States should not be carrying the financial burden for countries who oppose US interests.  They need the United States, the United States does not need them. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The United States should not be carrying the financial burden for countries who oppose US interests.  They need the United States, the United States does not need them. 

I figured you’d side with Trump’s idea of world democracy. Can’t we just veto the UN like we always do when it comes to Israel?

16 minutes ago, Justice said:

I figured you’d side with Trump’s idea of world democracy. Can’t we just veto the UN like we always do when it comes to Israel?

I believe in the right to self-determination and governance, and subscribe to the philosophy that a just government exists solely to protect the rights, laws, property, and culture of a people, and any actions working contrary to those objectives is unjust.  To those ends the best government is the government most local to the people, as that is the government most easily influence by the people it proposes to govern. 

With that in mind, I do not recognize the United Nations as a body that has just authority, as it presupposes that different cultures with different values should have a role in deciding how Americans should be governed and participate in the world.

I find these presuppositions to be especially egregious when made by nations largely dependent on the United States and our interests for their economic and military security, who then voice their opposition to those same interests.

Nations who do not support us in the exercise of the pursuit of our interests should not enjoy the rewards of those interests. 

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

33 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I believe in the right to self-determination and governance, and subscribe to the philosophy that a just government exists solely to protect the rights, laws, property, and culture of a people, and any actions working contrary to those objectives is unjust.  To those ends the best government is the government most local to the people, as that is the government most easily influence by the people it proposes to govern. 

With that in mind, I do not recognize the United Nations as a body that has just authority, as it presupposes that different cultures with different values should have a role in deciding how Americans should be governed and participate in the world.

I find these presuppositions to be especially egregious when made by nations largely dependent on the United States and our interests for their economic and military security, who then voice their opposition to those same interests.

Nations who do not support us in the exercise of the pursuit of our interests should not enjoy the rewards of those interests. 

I agree with almost all of that as well. Here’s my issue though. Vote the way we want you to and we’ll pay you. You don’t see anything wrong with that? 

37 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Its human nature. You expect me to send you a birthday present if you don’t invite me to your party and say mean things about me all around the neighborhood? :huh:

So I suppose buying votes in an election is ok too then, right?

On 12/20/2017 at 3:11 PM, joesixpack said:

Which is what i'm saying. Had we flattened the place and inflicted maximum casualties the occupation would have been a LOT briefer and less painless.

Maybe not since once we got in there we decided to nation build, sort of.  Going into Iraq was really stupid IMO.  You can't fix people that don't want to be fixed or aren't committed to the cause. 

Israel is in a really tough spot as even an ageeable 2-state solution doesn't solve their beef with the Palestinians and vice versa unless the neighboring countries have total buy-in for peace. 

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

Maybe not since once we got in there we decided to nation build, sort of.  Going into Iraq was really stupid IMO.  You can't fix people that don't want to be fixed or aren't committed to the cause. 

Israel is in a really tough spot as even an ageeable 2-state solution doesn't solve their beef with the Palestinians and vice versa unless the neighboring countries have total buy-in for peace. 

While Jordan and Egypt have proven reasonable (at least from a leadership perspective), Syria and Lebanon have not.

Also, I have little faith in ANY arab state, since their populations are...what's the word...unruly?

39 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

While Jordan and Egypt have proven reasonable (at least from a leadership perspective), Syria and Lebanon have not.

Also, I have little faith in ANY arab state, since their populations are...what's the word...unruly?

In Lebanon's defense, they didn't have leadership for a long, long time.  And since about 2000, their leadership's policies w/r/t Israel are similar to Jordan's: walking a tightrope between not pissing off Israel and not pissing off anti-Israeli elements in their own country (Palestinians in Jordan, Hezbollah in Lebanon.)

Israel’s ambassador to the UN accused the world body’s members of being “puppets” to the “Palestinian puppet masters”, following Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu’s description of the UN as a “house of lies.”

Now ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black? I got a kick out of that one. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Justice said:

Israel’s ambassador to the UN accused the world body’s members of being “puppets” to the “Palestinian puppet masters”, following Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu’s description of the UN as a “house of lies.”

Now ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black? I got a kick out of that one. 

Oh good, we're back to the Protocols.

14 hours ago, Justice said:

So I suppose buying votes in an election is ok too then, right?

That's not what is being done. Think about it this way: The Coca-Cola company financially supports a local community center for the arts. The center sells refreshments as a course of business, but sell a cola called "Pepsi". The Coca-Cola company finds out about this and says that they are going to cut off funding. Do you blame them?

On 12/21/2017 at 4:57 PM, TakeYouToTasker said:

U live in the world dumbass...

Its not like the U.S. is on the moon lol

46 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

U live in the world dumbass...

Its not like the U.S. is on the moon lol

Just because were part of the world doesn’t mean we should be subservient to it.Just because were part of the world doesn’t mean we should be subservient to it.

22 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Just because were part of the world doesn’t mean we should be subservient to it.Just because were part of the world doesn’t mean we should be subservient to it.

You'll be subservient to it and one form or another directly or indirectly we all have to live together at the end of the day