THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Pats Crush Bills

Shaw66

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I guarantee the Steelers are not afraid of NE....and they won't play them that way.

The Steelers aren't afraid of NE, but they have no idea how to beat NE.  They have not done so since 2008, I believe.  Hard to think this year will be any different.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw

It isn't supposed to be like this in the modern NFL. Every year the Bills send out another roster and coaching staff to the inevitable slaughter. Yesterday was no different and if you think the Bills had a chance in that game if TT doesn't throw that early pick...I'm sorry but you're way off!  Until this team starts hitting the Patriots in the proverbial mouth they have no chance. I guarantee the Steelers are not afraid of NE....and they won't play them that way.

I thought the D played well and also believe the game itself may have gone a little differently If T T throws a TD vs an INT.

Thanks for the review OP, much appreciated.

Great stuff and much appreciated.

I think the score was indicative of what kind of game it was, but other than that, I agree with everything you wrote.

Thanks, again, for taking the time.

18 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So you're still of the belief that we can make the playoffs with a Tyrod-lead offense?

I'm not. In fact, after today I'm certain we won't. Combined with how every team we needed to lose ended up winning, I can't see it happening.

I rather see Peterman get stomped each week, take his bumps, and see if there's any hope in the guy over seeing more of what we already know from Tyrod, still lose the games, and get nothing.

I didn't say the Bills were going to the playoffs. I don't think they are.  They certainly aren't good enough.  

But you definitely must play your best players at each position, and if he's healthy that's Taylor.  The coach cannot ask all his other players to play they're best when the coach isn't putting the best players on the field. 

If Peterman is the future (in doubt it) they'll install him in the off season. 

14 hours ago, y2zipper said:

It's nice to see the defense back, but Buffalo's starting QB for 2018 isn't on this roster now. Peterman doesnt have the arm talent and the gap between he and Taylor isnt really that big.

Whatever culture change McDermott is trying to implement isn't going to change the results until they get a better QB talent.

I agree about Peterman.  Not a good arm.  Maybe he will improve. Clearly doesn't see the field well.  

But in any case he is t nearly as effective as Taylor has been. 

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't say the Bills were going to the playoffs. I don't think they are.  They certainly aren't good enough.  

But you definitely must play your best players at each position, and if he's healthy that's Taylor.  The coach cannot ask all his other players to play they're best when the coach isn't putting the best players on the field. 

If Peterman is the future (in doubt it) they'll install him in the off season. 

I agree about Peterman.  Not a good arm.  Maybe he will improve. Clearly doesn't see the field well.  

But in any case he is t nearly as effective as Taylor has been. 

Boy I tell ya. I don't see your guys viewpoint at all.

We got a guy who has played 3/4 of a game who is as you say, nearly as effective as Taylor has been.

My jury is still WAY out on him.

I think his style is risky for sure. All the quick passes in traffic. Probably not going to go so well at first.

6 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Boy I tell ya. I don't see your guys viewpoint at all.

We got a guy who has played 3/4 of a game who is as you say, nearly as effective as Taylor has been.

My jury is still WAY out on him.

I think his style is risky for sure. All the quick passes in traffic. Probably not going to go so well at first.

Did I say nearly as effective?  I don't think so.  I think Taylor is clearly better. If it were close I'd play Peterman.  

23 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.

Spending the night in Binghamton, so I wrote while watching the Seahawks.  

To that particular point.  It's something I talk about from time to time.  You can only be good at taking risks if you learn how to do it.  Only way to learn how is to take the risks.  So that throw was part of Tyrod's education.  But he should have made that mistake two years ago and learned from it.  

Highlight of the day was going to the CBS broadcast booth before the game and chatting with Jim Nantz for five minutes.   Incredibly nice guy.  

You HAVE to go here if you stop in Binghamton again...

4004510527_a192142cb8_b.jpg

https://www.yelp.com/biz/red-robin-diner-johnson-city

12 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Oh I misread your text.

Ok. Well, we scored 3 points. Threw for 60 -ish yards with Tyrod in there I think.

So he can't be all that clearly better. 

Except in the Chargers game he sure was. So overall yeah I agree but there hasn't been all that much game time to compare them on.

12 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Peterman attempted throws Taylor hasn't attempted all year within his first 2 attempts.

i see upside with Peterman, but he has a lot of work to do.

Yeah. I don't disagree about upside.   Until you see a guy fail consistently he has upside.  I just think that he's shown that he isn't ready yet.  He needs more practice and more learning so that he doesn't bring so much downside onto the field with him. Yes, he looks and throws quickly, but he doesn't know what he's looking at. Sunday he threw quickly into triple coverage. 

He needs some more cooking on the practice field before he should get thrown out there.  If I'm McD and I'm done with Taylor my plan is toget rid of Taylor in the off season and go all in on Peterman or a new guy. 

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah. I don't disagree about upside.   Until you see a guy fail consistently he has upside.  I just think that he's shown that he isn't ready yet.  He needs more practice and more learning so that he doesn't bring so much downside onto the field with him. Yes, he looks and throws quickly, but he doesn't know what he's looking at. Sunday he threw quickly into triple coverage. 

He needs some more cooking on the practice field before he should get thrown out there.  If I'm McD and I'm done with Taylor my plan is toget rid of Taylor in the off season and go all in on Peterman or a new guy. 

Ok, Peterman did make some bad decisions. But I disagree about the timing, I think. For me as soon as the team was out of the playoff picture to a 97% certainty, I would have Peterman in there for on the job training, this year. I think he needs the training and we also could use it to evaluate how the other players are in that style of offense.

There were some dropped balls in the west coast style pass attempts. Will that continue with some of these guys? They don't have to catch many of those with Tyrod in.

Can the line function when the offense moves that fast?

What is to be gained when we are out of it, by continuing on with an offensive style that we do not intend to continue?

On another point you raised of Zero Tolerance, do you think a one game suspension is appropriate?

I don't. I think if the league wants the players to let them handle the discipline, rather than responding with brawls, then the players have to trust that the authorities will give firm consequences. I don't think the authorities did.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

On 12/4/2017 at 9:25 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

The Steelers aren't afraid of NE, but they have no idea how to beat NE.  They have not done so since 2008, I believe.  Hard to think this year will be any different.

I’ll take the Steelers this year

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, BillsFan692 said:

Lot of patriots love going on in this post...  they looked human to me today. We had a real chance to win if we had any sort of offense at ALL!

I actually agree with this, yet we lost 23-3.

This might have been one of our more competitive games against them and we still lost by 20.

That first drive was just a killer.  We looked really good and then that stupid interception.  I think Taylor's injury was more of an influence on that interception than the idea of "taking a chance."  It looked like he just didn't want to move despite Wood obviously being pushed right back into him, which was the ultimate cause of that interception. 

Then Joe Webb missed a WIDE OPEN Cadet running into the end zone.

If those 2 plays turn out differently, we go into the half with a lead and maybe it's a different game.

I'd love it if the Bills make up for it by coming out frothing at the mouth motivated and angry when the roll into NE, but I doubt it makes much difference.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:31 PM, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok, Peterman did make some bad decisions. But I disagree about the timing, I think. For me as soon as the team was out of the playoff picture to a 97% certainty, I would have Peterman in there for on the job training, this year. I think he needs the training and we also could use it to evaluate how the other players are in that style of offense.

There were some dropped balls in the west coast style pass attempts. Will that continue with some of these guys? They don't have to catch many of those with Tyrod in.

Can the line function when the offense moves that fast?

What is to be gained when we are out of it, by continuing on with an offensive style that we do not intend to continue?

On another point you raised of Zero Tolerance, do you think a one game suspension is appropriate?

I don't. I think if the league wants the players to let them handle the discipline, rather than responding with brawls, then the players have to trust that the authorities will give firm consequences. I don't think the authorities did.

With respect to Gronk, I don't think the penalty was large enough.   I look at it several different ways, and I come out at the same place.   Sean Payton created or tolerated an environment where he or other coaches encouraged players to injure opponents, and he got suspended for a year.  I don't believe there was evidence that any player was actually injured as a result.   Gronk actually intentionally injured a player in a totally unambiguous dead ball situation and he got a game.  

Guys get suspended for four games for doing drugs but get suspended only one game for intentionally injuring an opponent?

If the penalty for an illegal hit during a game that injures in a player is one game, shouldn't the penalty for an illegal hit that injures a player when the game is NOT in progress be larger?   During the game, there's at least an argument that the hit was intended to be legal but the guy came in too high or something.   There is NO defense when you just hit a guy when he's lying there helpless. 

And I completely agree with your point about mob rule.   We've already heard it from Tre White.   If the league isn't tough enough on plays like that, there will be retaliation.   The league can't afford to have mob rule on the field.   I suspect that unless McDermott is really, really clear to his team about this, someone is going after Gronk's knees in a couple of weeks.   Or Brady's.   I also suspect that the NFL already has warned the Bills about retaliation.   Why would they warn the Bills?  Because they know the punishment was strict enough.  

Think about it.   Steelers and Pats play in 10 days.   If I know I'm getting only a one game suspension for taking out Brady's knee, why would I do it?   It would mean I'd be back for the playoffs, and Brady wouldn't.   You can't have that kind of calculation going on in players' heads.   They need to know the penalties for intentional illegal actions will be severe.   And it shouldn't depend on WHETHER the target gets injured; it should solely depend on whether it's a dead ball intentional act and had the potential to injure.  

As for who starts, I simply think that a coach who doesn't play his best player at any position loses his other players.   My coach expects me to play to win, every play, every game, but he puts in a game who isn't as good as the guy he replaced, what does that mean to me?  I'm supposed to play to win but he isn't?  I'm supposed to risk injury now so that some kid MIGHT learn something that will make him a quality player a year or two from now?   I probably won't even be on the team then, so why should I should do it?   Last game of the season, maybe.   Or in a totally lost season like the Giants, maybe.   But when you're playing .500 ball and you could make the playoffs, I don't think a coach can do that to his players.  

I feel like at any time the nfl should roll out second, third and fourth place prizes

in each division so no one will really be losers. Everyone will be a winner! We should 

just offer a lifetime contract to tt, he can stay as long as he likes...

There fixed it and made a nice safe space for all !!

Merry Xmas!!

2 hours ago, Albwan said:

I feel like at any time the nfl should roll out second, third and fourth place prizes

in each division so no one will really be losers. Everyone will be a winner! We should 

just offer a lifetime contract to tt, he can stay as long as he likes...

There fixed it and made a nice safe space for all !!

Merry Xmas!!

Over MY head!

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Crush?   imo that's a bit harsh.  Crushing would have been 45 to 3.  Limiting Brady and co to 2 TD's was actually a good effort.  

Fair enough.    Some of what you say is true. 

However, I said Crush for two reasons:

First, I wanted a reference to the Gronk play, and I think it's fair to say he crushed White. 

Second, although the score was relatively close, the Bills essentially never were going to score.   The Pats crushed the Bills' offense.   The only reason it wasn't 45 to 3 was that the game was 60 minutes long.   100 minutes and it would have been 45-3.   200 minutes and it would have been 90 to 3.