San Francisco is terrible

juries take their job seriously, we don't know exactly what went on in the courtroom

and after a few slam-dunk guilties went free and a few totally guilty acquittals happened for files, I gave up on trying to figure any of it out

ROGER SIMON: The Unintended Consequences of the Kate Steinle Decision.

FTA:

1. Attorney General Sessions, with the firm backing of the president, will redouble his efforts to do away with sanctuary cities both financially and legally.  It may take some time, but the days of these sanctuaries are over.
  2. ICE will be set free to do its work. (It already has been, but even more so now with fewer complaints.
  3. The border wall will be built, at least a good part of it, and Trump will find it far easier to get his way with border security.  The Dreamers will remain, but the public will back Trump on further security measures that will be enacted. Those measures will be stronger than hitherto predicted
  4. Fewer people will "leave their hearts in San Francisco."  Many Californians have already left the state, but some who have been on the fence about decamping will get off that fence and finally leave.
  5. Although I'm probably overly optimistic here, fewer people will use the noxious euphemism "undocumented immigrants." (Well, maybe a dozen or so.  Or perhaps Zerate should have a document of his own that says "I'm a bloodthirsty killer. Set me free!")

If all this -- or even a decent part -- happens, it will be a fitting memorial to Kate and, one hopes, some solace to her family.

More at the link:

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

juries take their job seriously, we don't know exactly what went on in the courtroom

and after a few slam-dunk guilties went free and a few totally guilty acquittals happened for files, I gave up on trying to figure any of it out

Won't have to worry about a jury with Flynn, he's already pleaded guilty! :lol:

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

They are going to sue the City of San Francisco.

I think they would have a tough time suing the city. They would have to prove, among other things, that the City owed the lady a duty of care, which they violated by declining to exercise their option to temporarily detain someone for ICE whom they otherwise had no right to hold (he had finished his sentence), and that was the proximate cause of her being killed - under a negligence theory.

There are many significant legal hurdles in suing a government beyond proving negligence (or any other tort), such as overcoming qualified immunity for any public servants named, and the principle that you cannot generally get punitive damages from municipalities unless a clearly established right were violated.

Not impossible the family wins, but their case would be very problematic.

22 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I think they would have a tough time suing the city. They would have to prove, among other things, that the City owed the lady a duty of care, which they violated by declining to exercise their option to temporarily detain someone for ICE whom they otherwise had no right to hold (he had finished his sentence), and that was the proximate cause of her being killed - under a negligence theory.

There are many significant legal hurdles in suing a government beyond proving negligence (or any other tort), such as overcoming qualified immunity for any public servants named, and the principle that you cannot generally get punitive damages from municipalities unless a clearly established right were violated.

Not impossible the family wins, but their case would be very problematic.

The city of SF violated Kate Steinle's right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness by  not keeping that scumbag illegal locked up until ICE could get him.  He had violated the law by coming back in the US FIVE times. The federal law supersedes the state  and CA and SF have violated the law.

29 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I think they would have a tough time suing the city. They would have to prove, among other things, that the City owed the lady a duty of care, which they violated by declining to exercise their option to temporarily detain someone for ICE whom they otherwise had no right to hold (he had finished his sentence),

I agree with you generally, but that's some sweet lawyerspeak you threw in there.

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Any yet, 61 days and assault rifles and bum stocks are STILL not fully banned in this country despite the deaths in Las Vegas.

61 days of inaction.

Quoting for posterity.  Because you're this much of a moron :lol:

29 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Any yet, 61 days and assault rifles and bum stocks are STILL not fully banned in this country despite the deaths in Las Vegas.

61 days of inaction.

That's what bothers you about Vegas? Not the fact the investigation has been shoddy, filled with inconsistencies, and we still haven't gotten basic answers to fundamental questions?

You care more about the politics of the crime than finding the truth and getting justice for the people lost?

Image result for amused gif 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's what bothers you about Vegas? Not the fact the investigation has been shoddy, filled with inconsistencies, and we still haven't gotten basic answers to fundamental questions?

You care more about the politics of the crime than finding the truth and getting justice for the people lost?

Image result for amused gif 

You shouldn't expect anything less.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

The city of SF violated Kate Steinle's right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness by  not keeping that scumbag illegal locked up until ICE could get him.  He had violated the law by coming back in the US FIVE times. The federal law supersedes the state  and CA and SF have violated the law.

Yeah... that's not the way it works.

15 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

On what grounds?

The arrest warrant was originally drafted in 2015 and amended this week to include violations related to the charges of a felon in possession of a firearm, involuntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon, all of which were filed after the defendant's initial arrest, according to Friday's warrant.

DP_Xr4CXUAA8fk3.jpg

Edited by B-Man