Social Security

If poverty was the reason they came over then they would be included in the "your poor" part of the poem - not the yearning part.

270081[/snapback]

Except that I did not introduce the poem about immigration into a debate about economic security, and then evade questions asking what they have to do with one another.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that I did not introduce the poem about immigration into a debate about economic security, and then evade questions asking what they have to do with one another.

But you replied to it didn't you?

I've seen no replies from you about SS in this thread. Just about the poem. (Unless you are using multiple names.) I've put opinions about solutions for the SS issue out there already in the thread. I'll be waiting to see your solutions.

But you replied to it didn't you?

I've seen no replies from you about SS in this thread.  Just about the poem.  (Unless you are using multiple names.)  I've put opinions about solutions for the SS issue out there already in the thread.  I'll be waiting to see your solutions.

271012[/snapback]

My initial reply in this thread consisted of a question of what in the world the poem had to do with Social Security. (Still waiting for an answer)

If you want to know my opinion on the SS topic, spend some time with the "Search" function.

My initial reply in this thread consisted of a question of what in the world the poem had to do with Social Security.  (Still waiting for an answer)

Do I really need to explain the obvious to you? Historically speaking, your typical immigrant was not the wealthiest of people. Perhaps not the most well-educated also. Typically immigrants have taken jobs which do not pay as well as what you make. Therefore they will rely more on what they get in SS benefits when they retire. You might not need the program when you retire but that lower income person will.

Do I really need to explain the obvious to you?  Historically speaking, your typical immigrant was not the wealthiest of people.  Perhaps not the most well-educated also.  Typically immigrants have taken jobs which do not pay as well as what you make.  Therefore they will rely more on what they get in SS benefits when they retire.  You might not need the program when you retire but that lower income person will.

273927[/snapback]

Yeah, all those immigrants in the 19th century were really counting on their SS to get by. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, all those immigrants in the 19th century were really counting on their SS to get by.  Thanks for the clarification.

274343[/snapback]

Thanks for helping explain the obvious. :w00t:

Yeah, all those immigrants in the 19th century were really counting on their SS to get by.  Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, because no one is immigrating to the US anymore. Hello? Mcfly?!

If you recall - I said we need to add a line to the poem - that would be added today, not in the 19th century. :)<_<

Yeah, because no one is immigrating to the US anymore.  Hello? Mcfly?!

If you recall - I said we need to add a line to the poem - that would be added today, not in the 19th century.    :doh:    <_<

275281[/snapback]

You make about as much sense as a screen door on a battleship there, Biff.

People are immigrating here because of social security??? :):w00t:

Try again. People immigrate here for the opportunity (there's that word again that you hate so much) to work hard and make something of themselves. They don't come here to have the government take care of them.

You make about as much sense as a screen door on a battleship there, Biff.

People are immigrating here because of social security???  <_<  :)   

Try again.  People immigrate here for the opportunity (there's that word again that you hate so much) to work hard and make something of themselves.  They don't come here to have the government take care of them.

275602[/snapback]

I shan't go into the story of my grandfather again, but I'll guaran-damn-tee you he didn't come to America to utilize social security.

People immigrate here for the opportunity (there's that word again that you hate so much) to work hard and make something of themselves.  They don't come here to have the government take care of them.

275602[/snapback]

Well, I don't know about that. As always, a blanket statement does not accurately reflect reality. There are definitely people who immigrate here for social services (healthcare, welfare, etc). I am not saying a majority do this, but there is a segment of the immigration population who are here strictly for those advantages.

Well, I don't know about that. As always, a blanket statement does not accurately reflect reality. There are definitely people who immigrate here for social services (healthcare, welfare, etc). I am not saying a majority do this, but there is a segment of the immigration population who are here strictly for those advantages.

275618[/snapback]

Oh I agree, there are plenty of leeches among immigrants as well as natives here. I didn't intend it as an absolute. I'm just questioning the continued attempt to tie the desire of immigrants to come to this country and this country's willingness to accept them with social programs sponsored by the federal government.

I never stated that immigrants are coming over specifically for SS. But if they become citizens and get jobs then they will be eligible for it when they retire. And then back to the rest of what I said - if those jobs they get are low paying then they will need to rely more on whatever SS benefits they get.

The world is not black or white / all or nothing. You shouldn't generalize so much or assume that others are.

The only thing I'd change about your post is this " When they're trying to spend YOUR money, YOUR government classifies a cop married to a teacher as "rich."

To the rest, jump in anywhere you want. $$$$$$$$$$$$$Disgusting

266155[/snapback]

Ohhh Geeesh ! A cop married to a teacher. Some around here would call that blasphemy govn't dole welfare people that dont deserve anything because their job are so easy and are way over paid. They should live in a tent, eat crackers and water for meals each day.

Wait a minute, prison sounds better. At least I dont have to work for my crackers and water.