Social Security

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I guess we need to add a line:  "On the other hand, screw them all.  I want what's mine."

268586[/snapback]

Exactly.

Why should I foot the bill for a few million Mexican immigrants who are illegally here in the first place, ESPECIALLY when they refuse to speak English?

Anyone found to be illegal should be deported immediately. Beyond that, these people should not have drivers' licensces and anyone who's an illegal and found to be using social security or any other government benefit (schools, etc, ) ought to be thrown in the klink and THEN deported.

That'd stop illegal immigration.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

Why should I foot the bill for a few million Mexican immigrants who are illegally here in the first place, ESPECIALLY when they refuse to speak English?

Anyone found to be illegal should be deported immediately. Beyond that, these people should not have drivers' licensces and anyone who's an illegal and found to be using social security or any other government benefit (schools, etc, ) ought to be thrown in the  klink and THEN deported.

269147[/snapback]

You should like this then Joe:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2.../9/103059.shtml

Exactly.

Anyone found to be illegal should be deported immediately. Beyond that, these people should not have drivers' licensces and anyone who's an illegal and found to be using social security or any other government benefit (schools, etc, ) ought to be thrown in the  klink and THEN deported.

269147[/snapback]

Because they have a right to be here, they weren't born here, and shouldn't have to suffer becuase their gov't won't take care of them and ours will...

That was sarcasm.... :o

Exactly.

269147[/snapback]

Illegal immigration and legal immigration are 2 different things. Ellis Island is where people legally came to this country, signed their names and became Americans. Illegal aliens should have no benefits afforded to them.

It means "desiring the opportunity for" all the things that freedom can provide, including financial reward.  Apparently you've forgotten that the key concept is opportunity.  That is the only thing the huddled masses were guaranteed.

268698[/snapback]

No the definition of yearning is: A persistent, often wistful or melancholy desire; a longing.

You can have a yearning for opportunity, a yearning for wings, etc.

The huddled masses were yearning simply for freedom.

What does the immigrant verse have to do with SS?  Why was there a higher % of immigrant population during Emma Lazarus time, when there weren't any social safety nets? 

The actual immigration numbers are higher today then they were back then. The Great Wave of Immigration (1880-1924) averaged 584k a year. From 1966-1989 the average was 507k. From 1990 til today the average is about 1 mil. Percentage wise - of course the number in the past were higher since the country has grown quite a bit in the past 100 or so years.

The huddled masses were yearning simply for freedom.

269772[/snapback]

Contrary to popular myths, a large majority of 19th century immigrants came to the US for the economic opportunity.

Contrary to popular myths, a large majority of 19th century immigrants came to the US for the economic opportunity.

269800[/snapback]

A large majority of 17th century, 18th century, 20th century and 21st century immigrants have also come to the US for economic opportunity. They weren't the huddled masses in the poem - that would have been the poor.

And apparently, freedom doesn't include:  The freedom to save for your own retirement.

Gee, let's see: I'm being persecuted in my homeland so I give up everything to go to America to start a new life of freedom. Yeah, first thing on my mind when I step on America's soil is: better start saving for retirement! :devil:

The actual immigration numbers are higher today then they were back then.  The Great Wave of Immigration (1880-1924) averaged 584k a year.  From 1966-1989 the average was 507k.  From 1990 til today the average is about 1 mil.  Percentage wise - of course the number in the past were higher since the country has grown quite a bit in the past 100 or so years.

269797[/snapback]

I guess it's that "%" that threw you.

But if you insist on throwing numbers around, the Great Wave of Immigration should be looked at in two waves - post-Civil War 1880-1900 from northern & western Europoe led by opportunities in US; and pre WWI from the eastern & southern Europe 1900-1920. If you eliminate the through years between the two waves, the annual average goes well above 584K. In fact, the absolute numbers of immigrants between 1905-1907 of $3.4MM were not matched until 1989-1991, and are still the second highest three year total in US history.

They weren't the huddled masses in the poem - that would have been the poor.

269822[/snapback]

Then why apply the analogy in a discussion about financial freedom? Or did I miss the edict that Bush is taking away the votes of people who don't sign up for private SS accounts?

Gee, let's see:  I'm being persecuted in my homeland so I give up everything to go to America to start a new life of freedom.  Yeah, first thing on my mind when I step on America's soil is:  better start saving for retirement!  :devil:

269825[/snapback]

1. Step 1: Persecuted by government.

2. Step 2: Go to new country and turn over fiscal responsibility for your future to government.

3. Step 3: See step 1.

:devil:

Then why apply the analogy in a discussion about financial freedom?  Or did I miss the edict that Bush is taking away the votes of people who don't sign up for private SS accounts?

269847[/snapback]

I brought up the poem - which includes mention of the poor. I did not start the tangent about the group "yearning to breathe free".

I guess it's that "%" that threw you. 

But if you insist on throwing numbers around, the Great Wave of Immigration should be looked at in two waves - post-Civil War 1880-1900 from northern & western Europoe led by opportunities in US; and pre WWI from the eastern & southern Europe 1900-1920.  If you eliminate the through years between the two waves, the annual average goes well above 584K.  In fact, the absolute numbers of immigrants between 1905-1907 of $3.4MM were not matched until 1989-1991, and are still the second highest three year total in US history.

269832[/snapback]

Didn't throw me - I acknowledged it.

What "through years" are you talking about 1880-1900 & 1900-1920 doesn't have any through years.

A 3-year period is somewhat insignificant. A 10 to 15-year period is more realistic in terms of averages. I'll freely admit the 1900-1914 period had averages rivalling the past 15 years. But trends and govt policies are to increase the numbers even more in the coming years. The past at least had periods of major downturns. The immediate future just shows more upturns.

Didn't throw me - I acknowledged it.

What "through years" are you talking about 1880-1900 & 1900-1920 doesn't have any through years.

A 3-year period is somewhat insignificant.  A 10 to 15-year period is more realistic in terms of averages.  I'll freely admit the 1900-1914 period had averages rivalling the past 15 years.  But trends and govt policies are to increase the numbers even more in the coming years.  The past at least had periods of major downturns.  The immediate future just shows more upturns.

269936[/snapback]

Decade of 1890-1900 is a relative trough.

As to the other point in the thread, what about the repressive conditions of the huddled masses of Irish, German and Scandinavian ancestry that had them earning to be free in the US, if not poverty?

As to the other point in the thread, what about the repressive conditions of the huddled masses of Irish, German and Scandinavian ancestry that had them earning to be free in the US, if not poverty?

269966[/snapback]

If poverty was the reason they came over then they would be included in the "your poor" part of the poem - not the yearning part.