Good cheap smartphones

PromoTheRobot

My old Samsung was getting senile and as much as I dreaded getting a new phone, I decided to look around. Now my carrier is Verizon and I made the mistake a few years ago going with one of their budget smartphones. But all the new, high-end phones they offer were $750-$1000 retail or up to $40/month.

But then I saw something about unlocked phones, phones that can run on a number or carriers, even internationally, but don't come with any carrier bloatware. I saw the reviews on the Moto G5 Plus, 4.5 stars. But the price? $229 for the 32GB 2GB RAM model and $299 for the 64GB 4GB RAM. So I took the plunge and got the more expensive model.  (fyi, this is not the Moto phone model that can use the fancy stick on attachments.)

And so far I've been really happy. This phone is really responsive and works almost exactly like my old Samsung, so minimal learning curve. Also since the phone is unlocked it came with a working FM Radio chip and free mobile hotspot setting. Another plus is it comes with a 3000 mh battery. I feel like I got the best of both worlds: great phone without blowing a hole in my wallet.

Anyone else have experiences with budget or unlocked smartphones? Any other models worth looking at?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I still have two iPhones 4s' & a Huawei and Samsung SIII in the pipeline in case of a digital disaster and money is tight.  All work well! These were the wife and children's previous phones.

40 bucks really that much of a hole? Interest free when you sign on.

??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I still have two iPhones 4s' & a Huawei and Samsung SIII in the pipeline in case of a digital disaster and money is tight.  All work well! These were the wife and children's previous phones.

40 bucks really that much of a hole? Interest free when you sign on.

??

Add $40/mo to your bill for 2 years? That's a lot to me. Right now I paid $300 and didn't increase my bill.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Add $40/mo to your bill for 2 years? That's a lot to me. Right now I paid $300 and didn't increase my bill.

I just did times 4... Finally off it.  But now I have phones in reserve. Hopefully, they don't crap out all together.

I don't own a computer... So this works for me.

Always a draw back when gov't gets involved.  The "free phone" (w/contract)of the past was nice... Why'd the do away with that?

I just got my son and Apple SE.  It's basically an iPhone 6S in the shape and size of an iPhone 5/5S.  He didn't want anything bigger than the 5S he already had.  It added $14/mo. to my bill for 2 years and I'm happy with that.

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just got my son and Apple SE.  It's basically an iPhone 6S in the shape and size of an iPhone 5/5S.  He didn't want anything bigger than the 5S he already had.  It added $14/mo. to my bill for 2 years and I'm happy with that.

that is  what I have. 

Cheaper than the 6 and the camera pixel rate is better.  Sturdy little phone.

Unlocked S8Plus on Verizon truly unlimited Grandfathered contract.  Of course it was $600+

My brother was an idiot and went with the note8 thru Verizon and they cut off his free tethering. 

I still keep it. Still speeds of almost 30g hotspot. Still rocking it out with 50gig a month

I am truly a God in the mobile universe.

27 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Unlocked S8Plus on Verizon truly unlimited Grandfathered contract.  Of course it was $600+

My brother was an idiot and went with the note8 thru Verizon and they cut off his free tethering. 

I still keep it. Still speeds of almost 30g hotspot. Still rocking it out with 50gig a month

typing / spelling looks normal, sentence structure is there .....  Nope he's not joking ....  well except the God part is not true in everyone's mind but his :D

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

typing / spelling looks normal, sentence structure is there .....  Nope he's not joking ....  well except the God part is not true in everyone's mind but his :D

Autocorrect and grammaring on my phone does wonders

But I am a dyslexic dog, you can't deny that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Biggest mistake I made was when I went from the 4 to the 6. I didn’t want to pay full price for the phone so I agreed to a new contract and lost my unlimited plan. Granted I’ve only gone over once in the past few years, but it was nice not having to worry about my data. 

For a work phone, I got the Samsung J3 Mission, Just $100 our the door with Verizon. And I’m on the $40/month prepaid plan so no contract. 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-j3-mission-prepaid/

17 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Autocorrect and grammaring on my phone does wonders

But I am a dyslexic dog, you can't deny that. 

i spend more time verifying the auto destruct on my phone - for what I have to say  it is worth the time,   If the people are smart they can figure it out.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

My LG G4 bootlooped for the third time and I didn't want a monthly add on so I went with a Hauwei Honor 6X. Beats my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 in all benchmarks, excellent battery life, nice screen and $150 out the door. Seriously wondering why I ever paid $600+ for a phone.

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

My LG G4 bootlooped for the third time and I didn't want a monthly add on so I went with a Hauwei Honor 6X. Beats my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 in all benchmarks, excellent battery life, nice screen and $150 out the door. Seriously wondering why I ever paid $600+ for a phone.

I thought, boot loop is a battery issue.  ?? Did LG G4 have "built in" battery?  Did you try a new battery if it was swappable?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I thought, boot loop is a battery issue.  ?? Did LG G4 have "built in" battery?  Did you try a new battery if it was swappable?

It's actually a heat problem. Phone gets hot under load, chip partially desolders from board, done. Wife and I both had one, her's is the second one she's had and hasn't done it yet. T-Mobile totally screwed me with mine. Said it could be covered under insurance, went through a bunch of bull **** just to have my claim denied when I went to pick up the new phone.

We took the kids trout fishing in NC. You catch it, you bought it...by the pound. Ponds are labeled little, medium and large. Who wants to catch a goldfish? You go to the large pond where you could walk across the water for all the fish in there!  No bait is needed, they will bite your hook. But you might as well walk up to the edge and just net them up to your hearts content! 

1 hour ago, Luka said:

It's actually a heat problem. Phone gets hot under load, chip partially desolders from board, done. Wife and I both had one, her's is the second one she's had and hasn't done it yet. T-Mobile totally screwed me with mine. Said it could be covered under insurance, went through a bunch of bull **** just to have my claim denied when I went to pick up the new phone.

Thanks!!

My other S6 was doing it and Verizon sent me another one.  On it now.  That was last April.  My first Galaxy lasted just under 2 years.

I have the protection plan on mine (and daughter's... She is hard on devices).

12 hours ago, Luka said:

my wife had one and the battery nearly blew up one day,  a month later the phone stopped working.   We were sent a replacement LG G4 and within 2 months that one died like its predecessor.   

after a bunch of  "consulting" I got a full credit for the "early cancellation" and got a Google Pixel.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

my wife had one and the battery nearly blew up one day,  a month later the phone stopped working.   We were sent a replacement LG G4 and within 2 months that one died like its predecessor.   

after a bunch of  "consulting" I got a full credit for the "early cancellation" and got a Google Pixel.  

Yea they were junk, definitely turned me off of LG products completely, phones and otherwise.