Ralph Wilson.....how does he rate as an NFL Owner

Is he now near the bottom, or in the bottom third?

I know wealth does not necessarily translate into wins (Just ask Paul Allen). But does Mr. Wilson have 16 million dollars or so that he would be willing to give to Nate Clements as a signing bonus if he wanted to keep him?

I know wealth does not necessarily translate into wins (Just ask Paul Allen). But does Mr. Wilson have 16 million dollars or so that he would be willing to give to Nate Clements as a signing bonus if he wanted to keep him?

2004 avg salary Top 10 C.B. $8.816 million

Top 10 Q.B. $8.078 million

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/ar...ent_ID=66536250

I think he's a lot closer to the bottom than the top. That's why it's considered a given that the team gets sold when he goes to the big stadium in the sky. There won't be enough extra cash to pay the death err estate tax without the sale of the team.

265197[/snapback]

He is in the bottom 1/4 in wealth probably--but the top 1/4 in class and respect for the Game...I can't think of an owner who deserves to hoist the Lombardi more.

Remember that there is positive cash flow from the team every year...just rough numbers..

Expenses:

Salaries and benefits $140 Million (Including players and staff)

Operations and debt service $ 30Million (+ or - 20%)

Total $170M

Revenue

Revenue from NFL TV and Merch $100M

Tickets, parking, concessions $80M

Local marketing contracts radio and TV $3M

Erie County Lease $5M

Other stadium events $2M

Total Revenue $190M

I bet the team clears in the range of $20-30M if not more a year...this is in addition to Ralph's diverse other business holdings...I think he can afford the bonus.

My numbers may a little off--but I think they are close..where major markets the advantage over the Bills is in sweetheart leases that net much more than $5M and in local market radio and TV rights--which could go North of $30M for a major market team....

Revenue

Revenue from NFL TV and Merch $100M

Tickets, parking, concessions $80M

Local marketing contracts radio and TV $3M

Erie County Lease $5M

Other stadium events $2M

Other stadium events??I think this figure is $0 I do not think the jim kelly footbal camp pays anything. Other than the Snocross this year the stadium sits empty.

To the best of my knowledge Ralph is in the life insurance/finance/horse racing/counter top manufactoring/largest road paving company west of the Mississippi/TV and Radio Stations? business.

I think he is not hurting for bucks.

Revenue

Revenue from NFL TV and Merch  $100M

Tickets, parking, concessions         $80M

Local marketing contracts radio and TV         $3M

Erie County Lease                        $5M  

Other stadium events                    $2M    

Other stadium events??I think this figure is $0 I do not think the jim kelly footbal camp pays anything. Other than the Snocross this year the stadium sits empty.

To the best of my knowledge Ralph is in the life insurance/finance/horse racing/counter top manufactoring/largest road paving company west of the Mississippi/TV and Radio Stations? business.

265267[/snapback]

You would know on the other stadium events :-) ---so if Snocross is the only thing---I was assuming a couple of concerts etc I am overstating that...I am probably a little light on the local marketing and radio rights---

Hammered, have you and Buddy had any interaction with the new starting QB?

You would know on the other stadium events :-) ---so if Snocross is the only thing---I was assuming a couple of concerts etc I am overstating that...I am probably a little light on the local marketing and radio rights---

Hammered, have you and buddy had any interaction with the new QB?

Not yet.

I think your Radio Tv figure is pretty close. From what I have been reading, alot of radio stations around the country are finding out it does not make $$$$ sense to be the voice of the football team in town.

I think he's a lot closer to the bottom than the top.  That's why it's considered a given that the team gets sold when he goes to the big stadium in the sky.  There won't be enough extra cash to pay the death err estate tax without the sale of the team.

265252[/snapback]

See Mike Brown vs. IRS. Before Paul Brown died, the B'gals ownership was "lent" to a family friend. When Paul died, the IRS assesed duties on the increase in the value of the franchise. Mike Brown et al said that was wrong, because the ownership (the Brown family) did not own the team, the ownership having been transferred in some weird way to the family friend. Hard to follow, I know. And the ownership was "unlended" back to the Browns.

Somehow, Mikie and family avoided paying the estate tax, but the IRS still has him on their hit list - big time.

What will be more fun is to watch how Hamilton County's suit against the B'gals regarding the stadium construction unfolds. I could type out five pages relating the idiocy and theivery of all parties involved, including the jackass voters who voted for the free digs for the team in the first place.

The big thing in the suit is complete disclosure of a franchise's financial dealings if they benefit from public funds, i.e., taxpayer-provided stadiums. The NFL is fighting this tooth and nail.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...e/s_295960.html

Below, "Passing the Torch" The Rooney family also have some concerns about transfer of ownership of the Steelers.

"there are some issues, such as family estate taxes, that must be resolved".

I just wonder if the almighty power of the NFL might find a way to get the tax code changed in their favour.

Revenue

Revenue from NFL TV and Merch  $100M

Tickets, parking, concessions        $80M

Local marketing contracts radio and TV        $3M

Erie County Lease                        $5M 

Other stadium events                    $2M   

265267[/snapback]

You forgot trucking. Trucking's his main business, is it not?

I think he's a lot closer to the bottom than the top.  That's why it's considered a given that the team gets sold when he goes to the big stadium in the sky.  There won't be enough extra cash to pay the death err estate tax without the sale of the team.

265252[/snapback]

I believe that the cash is there. If I am not mistaken, the issue is that RW's heirs are not all interested in owning the Bills.

I believe that the cash is there. If I am not mistaken, the issue is that RW's heirs are not all interested in owning the Bills.

The daughters have said that in the past, but what about now, nobody has asked them lately. I think Ralph, having his one daughter, Linda, in the scouting dept., has trained her to know what to look for in a player talent wise. She could have help on the money side of the business with long time employee Jeff Littman.