Not enough horses in the stable

Buffalo716

You can mask talent deficiencies along the line in a 34 scheme much easier than in a 43

If you are committed to running a 43 defense than you must have enough horses in the stable

you need to have atleast 3 quality ends and atleast 3 quality Defensive tackles. You need to be able to stay fresh with roatations and your backups need to feast 

I just see a defensive line that is overmatched and one that lacks talent

kyle is old and Washington doesn't seem like a #1 or #2 guy yet. We traded away the only man on our team who required a double team... Dareus is a Silverback. 

Jerry seems like a shell of himself without Dareus or Mario or Kyle feasting. He has straight disappeared 

and Shaq doesn't generate much pass rush

i see a heavy D line draft and hopefully there are some nice DTs we can get in FA

we need to retool the line completely 

and its it's a shame. It was ferocious 4 years ago

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Elite Poster said:

When one takes two blockers, that leaves 3 to block 3.

When that one is no longer here, that means 5 block 4. 

Who wins?

It's really simple math

Dareus=silverback=2 blockers= One on ones everywhere else 

no Dareus=5 on 4 and we have no push

....before we even get to DEFENSE 716, let's talk OFFENSE first....how the hell do you advertise yourself as a "run first team" with only ONE stallion in your stable?.......if memory serves me, I believe his name is McCoy.....and what happens to your "run first" proclamation if that SOLE stallion gets dinged or seriously injured?....Tolbert?...DiMarco?...Moms Mabley?......seriously?......Shady is out and we can depend on our prolific passing game?.....the one that is a mirror image of Air Coryell/Fouts or Marchibroda & Kelly?.....may want to check and see if your stable has horses or donkeys......check back in with the inventory............

I mean, were people really expecting Lawson to be a productive pass rusher? The fact that he’s not isn’t a surprise to me. What is surprising is Ierry Hughes being invisiable. Kyle looks old and ready to hang it up and there is literally no other quality player on the defensive line. Our front 7 needs a complete overhaul

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster.

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

QB -Tyrod - GONE

RB - Shady - Over 30 and has no backup

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 1 more year on contract

WR - Jordan Matthews - Injured and would need to be re-signed or replaced 

WR - Zay Jones - Here for the foreseeable future

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

G - Richie Incognito - 34 yrs old

C - Eric Wood - 31 - signed an extension this offseason

G - Vlad the Turnstile - Please get him off my team. Miller is equally bad. 

T - Jordan Mills - See Vlad above

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

DE - Shaq Lawson - He's not going anywhere next year

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DT - Kyle Williams - Will retire

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Lorenzo Alexander - Nice guy, shouldn't be starting

MLB - Preston Brown - Nope

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced

CB - Tre White - So far this is the first player on the team I'm happy about

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Jordan Poyer - Starter

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

....so we're in pretty good shape other than the RED highlights.....comforting to know..............

21 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I mean, were people really expecting Lawson to be a productive pass rusher? The fact that he’s not isn’t a surprise to me. What is surprising is Ierry Hughes being invisiable. Kyle looks old and ready to hang it up and there is literally no other quality player on the defensive line. Our front 7 needs a complete overhaul

I never thought he'd be a great pass rusher but our Dline as a whole is very poor right now

and he is definitely upgradable at this point

as for Jerry. He is a one trick pony and has been for a while. He takes himself out of too many plays running around the tackle

he benefited playing next to all pros Mario , Dareus and Kyle

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....before we even get to DEFENSE 716, let's talk OFFENSE first....how the hell do you advertise yourself as a "run first team" with only ONE stallion in your stable?.......if memory serves me, I believe his name is McCoy.....and what happens to your "run first" proclamation if that SOLE stallion gets dinged or seriously injured?....Tolbert?...DiMarco?...Moms Mabley?......seriously?......Shady is out and we can depend on our prolific passing game?.....the one that is a mirror image of Air Coryell/Fouts or Marchibroda & Kelly?.....may want to check and see if your stable has horses or donkeys......check back in with the inventory............

That is just poor management 

Its frustrating to go from having a great deep stable of backs to a barren one

Want to know where our horses are?  Check the barn door.

Here are all of the players the Bills took in the first or second round, who are still on the Bills roster:

TreDavious White

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Shaq Lawson

Cordy Glenn

Eric Wood

That's it.  Three from this year and three from past years.  The first two rounds are where your stars are supposed to come from.

It's no wonder the Bills can't compete, or that their D line went from lions to pussycats, or that their O line is old or hurt or not very good, etc etc etc.  They didn't draft well, they made mostly bad trades, and they didn't keep the right players from leaving as FAs.

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's really simple math

Dareus=silverback=2 blockers= One on ones everywhere else 

no Dareus=5 on 4 and we have no push

Start pulling people and such and you get 5 hitting 3 even. Having major players inside does so much for the numbers game.