RIH Charles Manson

Just Jack

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You know that number is exactly zero, right?

A few anecdotes placed him as a murderer, nothing to do with the trial murders.

The mixup with Melcher and Dennis Wilson is one of the great stories of 60s hippiedom.

Icon of the "peaceful" demonstrators of the late 60s...

Bernadine Dohrn said, "First they killed those pigs, then they ate dinner in the same room with them, then they even shoved a fork into the pig Tate's stomach! Wild!"[In greeting each other, delegates to the war council often spread their fingers to signify the fork.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

You know that number is exactly zero, right?

No it is not.

There were plenty of other murders besides those two nights.

LA Times response.........for which they are being rightfully criticized.....

The human side of infamous cult leader Charlie Manson (via @latimesopinion) http://lat.ms/2zPXYtZ

L.A. Times opinion contributor David Ulin writes:

Manson, though, was no devil but a human being, as his death makes clear. I don’t say that to soften or absolve him. But I don’t believe in demons; people are frightening enough. Indeed, to accept Manson as a person, to see him through the filter of his humanity, is to acknowledge what we resist: that he was perhaps not so utterly different from the rest of us.

The rest of us didn’t lead murderous cults, though, did we?

For those who have faith in an afterlife, I suppose there’s some solace in imagining he will get his karmic comeuppance. But it makes more sense to me to see him as an agent of the hells we create on Earth.

Manson was a killer, yes, and he was a psychopath, but he was never otherworldly. The violence and the hatred he embodied may be his most human attribute.

Oh.

While Manson may have been human in the most technical sense, he didn’t possess a shred of humanity. Humanizing him is … not a good look. Not only was this take wholly unnecessary, but it was just plain stupid.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

No it is not.

There were plenty of other murders besides those two nights.

LA Times response.........for which they are being rightfully criticized.....

The human side of infamous cult leader Charlie Manson (via @latimesopinion) http://lat.ms/2zPXYtZ

L.A. Times opinion contributor David Ulin writes:

Manson, though, was no devil but a human being, as his death makes clear. I don’t say that to soften or absolve him. But I don’t believe in demons; people are frightening enough. Indeed, to accept Manson as a person, to see him through the filter of his humanity, is to acknowledge what we resist: that he was perhaps not so utterly different from the rest of us.

The rest of us didn’t lead murderous cults, though, did we?

For those who have faith in an afterlife, I suppose there’s some solace in imagining he will get his karmic comeuppance. But it makes more sense to me to see him as an agent of the hells we create on Earth.

Manson was a killer, yes, and he was a psychopath, but he was never otherworldly. The violence and the hatred he embodied may be his most human attribute.

Oh.

While Manson may have been human in the most technical sense, he didn’t possess a shred of humanity. Humanizing him is … not a good look. Not only was this take wholly unnecessary, but it was just plain stupid.

I don't disagree that 1) he had no humanity whatsoever (Osama bin Laden had demonstrably more humanity), and 2) deserved life in prison.  On multiple counts of conspiracy to commit murder, and about fifty other things.  

But "murder by proxy" strikes me as something of a bull **** charge.  

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I listened to a Neil Young interview recently in which he talked about going to parties at Manson’s place.  Apparently, quite a few soon to be famous musicians/actors would attend.  Talked about his “harem” of zombie like women who were always around.  Crazy stuff.

Beach Boy Mike Love was on Howard Stern, talking about going over to Dennis Wilson's house when the Manson clan was living there. Howard asked him if he ever hooked up with any of the Manson girls. Love said: No. Those girls weren't exactly the pick of the litter. They were the litter.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Helter Skelter is a great read.  I am amazed at the power Manson had over his disciples.  He had to have some kind of charisma.  Leslie Van Houten was homecoming queen and became one of his willing participants

Agreed.  He would have made one hell of a salesperson (same cloth).

As far as Helter Skelter ... it's happening as we speak.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Helter Skelter is a great read.  I am amazed at the power Manson had over his disciples.  He had to have some kind of charisma.  Leslie Van Houten was homecoming queen and became one of his willing participants

My all-time fav book, just amazing.

Burn In Hell, Charlie.

Charlie took well to the Dale Carnegie stuff while in his earlier and formative prison years, bought him good behaviour status.

Not remotely surprised with that.

Edited by row_33

56 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Charlie took well to the Dale Carnegie stuff while in his earlier and formative prison years, bought him good behaviour status.

Not remotely surprised with that.

A girl from my HS sent him a letter back around '80.  He wrote her back an 8 or so page long reply.  The 1st 5 pages were well written horse manure but about half way down page 6 he either started having an episode or a flashback or something.  The handwriting got really bad (like a kindergartener was writing it) and REALLY incoherent - like Charlie Kelly from It's Always Sunny ... incoherent.

Guy was a pure psychopath.  Hopefully this brings some peace to the families of his "family's" victims.