Dan Pompei (sporting news) writes:

JoeF

Pompei's penmanship...

Interesting that Peerless and Willis are mentioned in the same story

Peerless tidbit:

Don't be surprised if the Falcons cut WR Peerless Price this offseason. Price has not played up to the big contract the Falcons gave him when he was acquired from the Bills two years ago, and Price's attitude has not endeared him to teammates and coaches. There is a school of thought that says eliminating Price would be addition by subtraction. Cutting him would not come without a price, however. If the Falcons let him go after June 1, they would take cap hits of $1.7 million this season and $5.7 million in 2006. Cutting him before then would cost the team a whopping $7.4 million in cap space in 2005, or $3.8 million more than keeping him would cost. If the Falcons retain Price, he will have been saved by his contract. . . .

McGahee:

Bills RB Willis McGahee should be faster next season because he will be able to train for speed for the first time since blowing out his knee at the end of his college career, in January 2003. As McGahee gained confidence in his knee last season, he ran with power and gained yards after contact. His speed, however, was average.

Interesting stuff. In regards to peerless price, I could've called his lack of success in atlanta. He is not a #1 receiver and he can attribute his success in buffalo to eric moulds and the safeties and corners that double-covered him. What a great move by donahoe.

In regards to mcgahee, that's great to hear and I never really thought about that aspect. I agree, his speed was average last year, but the more he strengthens that knee, the faster he will become. Is it september yet?? :o

Peerless is certainly not worth the $$$ he's being paid.... and he is a prima dona of sorts. However, he's a pretty darn good receiver. You must remember... his QB is Michael Vick. As exciting as Vick is, and as strong an arm he has, he's not a great passer. He makes plays with his feet and if he had to stay in the pocket and find a receiver, his life would be miserable. Vick's game is his feet... period..... and peerless ain't going to get too many receptions from a QB like Vick... and I don't know any receiver that would. So, for Peerless, getting cut from Atlanta might be a blessing. Trust me, he'll land on his feet.

McGahee:

Bills RB Willis McGahee should be faster next season because he will be able to train for speed for the first time since blowing out his knee at the end of his college career, in January 2003. As McGahee gained confidence in his knee last season, he ran with power and gained yards after contact. His speed, however, was average.

265090[/snapback]

Methinks he needs to lose about 10 pounds (he's 230 at 6') as he works out his knee. He relied on more of the power back last season rather than a mix of that and breakaway speed that he had at UM. Two years removed from the surgery seems like a good time to lose some weight and get some of the speed back.

Now I REALLY want TE Matt Jones. With his addition, the Bills could have a WR, RB, and TE who all run under 4.4 seconds! And they'd also have a QB who runs under 4.7 seconds. Throw in Moulds, a speedy 3rd WR, Jason Peters, and hopefully an improved O-line and this COULD be an exciting offense to watch when it gets going!

Now I REALLY want TE Matt Jones.  With his addition, the Bills could have a WR, RB, and TE who all run under 4.4 seconds!  And they'd also have a QB who runs under 4.7 seconds.  Throw in Moulds, a speedy 3rd WR, Jason Peters, and hopefully an improved O-line and this COULD be an exciting offense to watch when it gets going!

265139[/snapback]

I think that is what TD's plan is: build the fastest team he can. Matt Jones' speed is one aspect that he brings, but I also believe that he could be the "X factor" on an offense with numerous weapons. Here is a guy that can throw the football, catch the football, and if he puts on a few more lbs., he can become a great blocker.

Methinks he needs to lose about 10 pounds (he's 230 at 6') as he works out his knee. He relied on more of the power back last season rather than a mix of that and breakaway speed that he had at UM. Two years removed from the surgery seems like a good time to lose some weight and get some of the speed back.

265123[/snapback]

it's always tricky to play around with a player's weight, though... a RB can lose "just" 10 lbs and still lose a lot of football power

If Willis can gain more speed but still maintain that power he showed last year...well, would I be exaggerating when I say he could be the next OJ Simpson minus the bloodlust?

265158[/snapback]

Just wait until it is time to redo his contract! :o

I think McGahee played heavier than his college weight last year.  I wouldn't mind seeing him drop back to where he played in college.

265159[/snapback]

I think McGahee played a lot bigger last year because of his upper body. When his leg was hurt and he started working out like a madman, he also put on a lot of upper body weight and was significantly bigger than when he was in college. He could lose a few of those pounds but probably not all. He could get a lot faster, however, as you could still see how he struggled to accelerate, although he clearly got faster as the season wore on. If he spent the off season working on speed, he will probably be close to but not reach his college speed.

I think that is what TD's plan is:  build the fastest team he can.  Matt Jones' speed is one aspect that he brings, but I also believe that he could be the "X factor" on an offense with numerous weapons.  Here is a guy that can throw the football, catch the football, and if he puts on a few more lbs., he can become a great blocker.

I agree about Jones. He's got a lot of potential and has that "Slash/Randel El" quality about him. I just hope they make it happen because a guy like him doesn't come around too often.

Cutting [Peerless Price] would not come without a price, however. If the Falcons let him go after June 1, they would take cap hits of $1.7 million this season and $5.7 million in 2006.

Another reminder that there will be quality players available this summer, and there could still be significant roster changes after the FA period and the draft.

mcgahee seemed to be fine turning the corner last year...especially w/ that stiff arm. wahhhhhaaa bam!

i wouldnt have noticed anything about his speed, but many announcers weresaying that his speed was what had not yet returned. He looked great to me! Bring it willis.