Why not turn the tables on Asian Carp?

Cripple Creek

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Honestly, I am all for gov't money being used to step up an agressive commercial fishing industry for the Asian carp. But, what's going to happen with creating a new industry.  What happens when the fishery collapses like it was designed to do.  Are people going give up their way of life and move on.

And... If you think they will just thow money at some poor working class commercial fisherman from rural downstate Illinois over dropping millions upon millions to the biologists and sciencetists with their grand plans & schemes, you are mistakenly wrong.  The last 20 years have proven otherwise.

The situation is really sad. They could create a 2 mile "dead zone" by pumping a million dollars a year of harmles nitrogen in the water and nothing will swim past.  Instead, we are oxygenating the water.  Nothing got through in old days because nothing couldn't swim through the pollution.

You wore me out... I can no longer debate issues when you continue to pass of opinion as fact... or common knowledge... no offense... just not getting anywhere... that fishery collapse comment is where you lost me...

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You've been Cletused.

I figured as much... I remember when I met him, he basically said this was his MO.

Hopefully, I can bring some incite to this topic, things people don't hear in mainstream liberal media.

All summer long the scientists, DNR people crawl all around.  The weather gets cold, they go away, the sportsman drop off in huge numbers and everybody forgets except for the shipping that plies the waters even through 2-3 feet thick ice.  Nobody is watching even during the warm months on the off hours.  We have fisherman, tournament guys trailering their vessels from all over, mixing fish, bilge water... And this doesn't even include the 10s of 1,000s yearly of private pleasure craft that use system as an expressway from the Gulf to the Lakes.

Really... Nobody cares except how much $$$ they can make.  Catch a carp every 7 years and keep the fear and funding alive.  It's job security for the scientists and handful of commercial fisherman that monitor the situation.

2 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

You wore me out... I can no longer debate issues when you continue to pass of opinion as fact... or common knowledge... no offense... just not getting anywhere... that fishery collapse comment is where you lost me...

Wouldn't the goal be to collapse the Asian carp fishery.  The guys catching them would want it to continue.  No?

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I figured as much... I remember when I met him, he basically said this was his MO.

Hopefully, I can bring some incite to this topic, things people don't hear in mainstream liberal media.

All summer long the scientists, DNR people crawl all around.  The weather gets cold, they go away, the sportsman drop off in huge numbers and everybody forgets except for the shipping that plies the waters even through 2-3 feet thick ice.  Nobody is watching even during the warm months on the off hours.  We have fisherman, tournament guys trailering their vessels from all over, mixing fish, bilge water... And this doesn't even include the 10s of 1,000s yearly of private pleasure craft that use system as an expressway from the Gulf to the Lakes.

Really... Nobody cares except how much $$$ they can make.  Catch a carp every 7 years and keep the fear and funding alive.  It's job security for the scientists and handful of commercial fisherman that monitor the situation.

What did I say my MO was?

No program is designed to fail... people don’t dump time, effort, and money into something knowing/hoping it will fail... that’s why you lost me

But I’m dense...

Just now, CountryCletus said:

What did I say my MO was?

No program is designed to fail... people don’t dump time, effort, and money into something knowing/hoping it will fail... that’s why you lost me

But I’m dense...

Exactly what you were doing earlier.

The OPs topic is about creating a carp fishing industry.  Do you they want that to go on forever.  I mentioned salmon in middle lakes.  Charter and toursim was created since 1967.  You thinl they want that to go away?  The gov't subsidizes the charter industry more and more.  Lean years in Lake Huron are especially a huge $$$ dump.

Side note: Don't think that the fishing charter industry don't use the lock in this area either. They do in big numbers... To get their vessels to cheap winter storage.

Really... I will end it if you want. Nothing will change. Chicago, Illinois and ports of Indiana (Ohio River and Lake Michigan) have the sway in Congress with the southern industrial and Midwest ag states on their side.  The other side is poo out of luck. Economy and money talk.

I will be here in 20 years if I don't go first.  The new younger guys coming in will still stay.

Things ain't changing folks.  There is too much $$$ at stake.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly what you were doing earlier.

The OPs topic is about creating a carp fishing industry.  Do you they want that to go on forever.  I mentioned salmon in middle lakes.  Charter and toursim was created since 1967.  You thinl they want that to go away?  The gov't subsidizes the charter industry more and more.  Lean years in Lake Huron are especially a huge $$$ dump.

Side note: Don't think that the fishing charter industry don't use the lock in this area either. They do in big numbers... To get their vessels to cheap winter storage.

Really... I will end it if you want. Nothing will change. Chicago, Illinois and ports of Indiana (Ohio River and Lake Michigan) have the sway in Congress with the southern industrial and Midwest ag states on their side.  The other side is poo out of luck. Economy and money talk.

I will be here in 20 years if I don't go first.  The new younger guys coming in will still stay.

Things ain't changing folks.  There is too much $$$ at stake.

No clue where all this is coming from... from catching a few Carp to salmon, to locks and politics.... let’s get back on topic about not being able to catch a Carp on a hook.... err... wait... ?

Just now, CountryCletus said:

No clue where all this is coming from... from catching a few Carp to salmon, to locks and politics.... let’s get back on topic about not being able to catch a Carp on a hook.... err... wait... ?

Go back to page one.  I never said that, you are twisting my words around. 

That's your MO.

My exact words:

"Sport fish" in Europe... But they won't bite a baited hook.  Gotta snag.  Use bread or corn, even set up a trotline."

Do you know what a trotline is?

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Go back to page one.  I never said that, you are twisting my words around. 

That's your MO.

My exact words:

"Sport fish" in Europe... But they won't bite a baited hook.  Gotta snag.  Use bread or corn, even set up a trotline."

Do you know what a trotline is?

?trot line.... trot line.... hmmmm.... is that a serious question???

You don’t grow up around here singing Hank JR and not learn what a trot line is.... can you catch a catfish? Can you skin a Buck? Lol

I can only use the words that you type- I can’t twist them too much because they are always there for everyone to see...

I’ve quoted multiple occasions just a page back... you said you can’t use a baited hook... said they only filter feed.... 

there is a video posted on this page of people using a spoon type bait... sure they snagged some, but they caught others in the lip from a bite... but I get it... you didn’t watch the whole video because it was 24 minutes...

Just go back one page if you want to see what you said... I quoted 5 things or so in reverse order, so if you want to watch yourself shift gears start from the bottom up... I have to head to bed, PT test tomorrow....

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

ChitownAngler.com is a great forum.  I am not particularly a fisherman, but I stay abreast and been following here the last 20 years.

Poster "conner1196"  has some great (common) carp techniques:

http://chitownangler.com/1fish/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=7ff052c876fafbfde911e5e0c2d05066

Are common Carp, Asian Carp??? COMMON MAN

Have you gone back a page to review what you said.... where I got my information? 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They are filter feeding and stumbling into the hook.  That's a "snag" in my book.  They aren't biting at hook.

You’re going down with a sinking ship.... A fish caught with a hook in the mouth is most definitely not a snag.... rather than use your book, let’s use common logic... possibly the old NFL rule- a guy sitting in a bar, trick.... hell, if you polled 100 people- “if a fish has a hook stuck in its lip/mouth, was it snagged or a bite?” How many do you honestly think would claim that as a snag?

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

You’re going down with a sinking ship.... A fish caught with a hook in the mouth is most definitely not a snag.... rather than use your book, let’s use common logic... possibly the old NFL rule- a guy sitting in a bar, trick.... hell, if you polled 100 people- “if a fish has a hook stuck in its lip/mouth, was it snagged or a bite?” How many do you honestly think would claim that as a snag?

They don't bite (silver and bighead).  They align themselves with current, open mouth and let water and food flow through.  What are you missing here?

On other note, they broadcast spawn and young feed same way:

They align themselves facing up current. Females drop the eggs... The eggs flow down river, males then fertilize eggs.  Fish develop and face up stream, all the while traveling downstream in suspension.  Why they need 60+ miles of big flow.  If they crash into a dam, they sink in muck and perish.  Remember I said "wicket dams?" Take a look at mead's link.  That time facing upstream with mouth open makes and allows them to feed, develop, get stronger and then seek protection in the backwaters. They then prefer to spend adult lives in lakes, feeding on the type of food they prefer:

Grass carp=vegetation after a few years

Black carp=mussels through adulthood

And the ones we are duscussing:

Bighead (which you have) & silver carp filter feed their whole life.

They don't bite.  They simply open they mouths pointing towards the current to feed.

Research if you don't believe me.  I am not discrediting your YouTube link. 

I've wasted 15 minutes of my life reading through all of this bull ****.

I will tell you a few things.

Shooting a fish with a bow is bush league.  If you can't catch a fish using a rod and reel, then you can't fish.  It's like spreading rat poison in the woods to get a deer.  Pure bull ****.

Secondly, I will tell you, with 100% certainty, that carp DO bite baited hooks.  If you're a good enough fisherman.

An old high school friend, Rob Murtha, caught a whopper of a carp.  He put pickled herring in a stocking and tied it tight.  Doused it with vanilla extract, threw it on a hook and got himself about a 20 lb. carp.

I saw the picture with my own two eyes.  At his funeral.  He killed himself about 20 years ago.  Before that, he gave me one of his tackle boxes.  We were both avid fishermen back in the day.  I still have the box in my basement.  I'll never use it, nor will I ever get rid of it.  Donned with a big ol' New Orleans Saints sticker.  He loved the Saints.

But I digress.   Don't any one of you mother !@#$ers try to tell me that you can't catch a carp with a baited hook.  Because Rob Murtha proved otherwise.  God rest his soul.

• Like (+1) 1

You newbies sure better be glad beerballs not here anymore. New guys started this thread should have known better because it would just get eii worked up and it would become political because he's freaking crazy

Darn bbmbers

Edited by Boyst62
Bababooey

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They don't bite (silver and bighead).  They align themselves with current, open mouth and let water and food flow through.  What are you missing here?

On other note, they broadcast spawn and young feed same way:

They align themselves facing up current. Females drop the eggs... The eggs flow down river, males then fertilize eggs.  Fish develop and face up stream, all the while traveling downstream in suspension.  Why they need 60+ miles of big flow.  If they crash into a dam, they sink in muck and perish.  Remember I said "wicket dams?" Take a look at mead's link.  That time facing upstream with mouth open makes and allows them to feed, develop, get stronger and then seek protection in the backwaters. They then prefer to spend adult lives in lakes, feeding on the type of food they prefer:

Grass carp=vegetation after a few years

Black carp=mussels through adulthood

And the ones we are duscussing:

Bighead (which you have) & silver carp filter feed their whole life.

They don't bite.  They simply open they mouths pointing towards the current to feed.

Research if you don't believe me.  I am not discrediting your YouTube link. 

So let’s assume the filter feed... filter feeding critters mouths open and close, they aren’t like your typical Cubs fan mouth breather, lol.... so if their mouths open and close and you can catch them with a hook in the mouth.... I say we take it to the masses, because you refuse to admin you could be wrong...

It’s like 100-1.... just saying...

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've wasted 15 minutes of my life reading through all of this bull ****.

I will tell you a few things.

Shooting a fish with a bow is bush league.  If you can't catch a fish using a rod and reel, then you can't fish.  It's like spreading rat poison in the woods to get a deer.  Pure bull ****.

Secondly, I will tell you, with 100% certainty, that carp DO bite baited hooks.  If you're a good enough fisherman.

An old high school friend, Rob Murtha, caught a whopper of a carp.  He put pickled herring in a stocking and tied it tight.  Doused it with vanilla extract, threw it on a hook and got himself about a 20 lb. carp.

I saw the picture with my own two eyes.  At his funeral.  He killed himself about 20 years ago.  Before that, he gave me one of his tackle boxes.  We were both avid fishermen back in the day.  I still have the box in my basement.  I'll never use it, nor will I ever get rid of it.  Donned with a big ol' New Orleans Saints sticker.  He loved the Saints.

But I digress.   Don't any one of you mother !@#$ers try to tell me that you can't catch a carp with a baited hook.  Because Rob Murtha proved otherwise.  God rest his soul.

RIP Mr. Murtha.