Why not turn the tables on Asian Carp?

Cripple Creek

2 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

You’re talking out of both sides of your mouth....

How?

I am a lock and dam operator at ground zero doorway to The Lake?

I saw dead 50 pound Asian carp on the sides of barges back in 2009. A month later in October of 2009... They got the first eDNA hits on the Lakeside of the lock and dam.

Yo Sleepy:  2009.

Where are they?

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

That a'int all he's talking out of.

Ditto to the post above Sleepy McSleep-A-Lots:

My job is to let boats through.  First and foremost.  I work a 24/7/365 schedule.  We've opened the lock over 5,000 times this year and it's a low year... Water high, taking a 1/2 hour or so to lock.

Chicago Harbor Lock downtown... Is 60% smaller, they are in the 10s of thousands w/openings.

Yeah... I know I am being trolled.  But I am filter feeding... You dolts.<_<:P

All's cool.  Stop by... I will give you a tour when in town.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Now, the brainacs here suck worse than the Bills getting ripped a new one by the Pats**.

Do the math... That means the lock is opening every 1.5 hours everyday.  2017 has slower cycles with high Lake Michigan water elevations.  I guess less fish are getting through? So the math says on average we open the lock every 1.5 hours for boats (and fish) even during dead of winter when we have 2-3' thick ice.

And that doesn't even tell half the story.  That doesn't record "ice stoppages" during winter.  We cycle the gates and dump water to keep lock from freezing solid.  That's not in the 5,000 openings I cited above. We cycle the lock and pass water (and fish presumably):

Every 2 hours below 32° out and above 20°.

Every hour above 0° to 20°

Continuously below 0°F (every 10-15 minutes).

AND we have "bubblers" powered by huge electric compressors that pump air into water and circulate the warm water from the bottom... Fish love oxygen during winter freezes.

It's all public information... Go to:

CorpsLocks.usace.army.mil

Where are the Asian carp in the last 20 years?  Maybe we lack the skilled fisherman that received participation awards in this thread! Come out this way and catch them for your country.  No snagging, that is chicken****.  The Great Lakes needs you to save them and get rid of the Asian carp... Think of the starving children!

Something tells me y'all gonna go hungry and crops will fail due to lack of fertilizer if you stick with Cripple Creek and Country Cletus.  Oh, and don't forget to keep the industry going.  The one you just created out of thin air with a finite resource.  If you need help, the Middle Lakes salmon stocking industry can show you the way.

Yeah... I talking out my... Like Tyrod throws a football.

:DI love a good logic induced screed against screwy people and gov't.;)

Who's setting a snagging trotline for who in this thread (look up: YouTube, "powerlining Chicago", that's the way to roll for salmon!).

Sorry... I am in a pissy mood against stupidity.

EII - Still believe those pics are doctored and we need to increase the numbers of asian carp, but one thing you can’t deny is the explosion of alewives and sea lamprey in the great lakes. And you know how this happened? The locks and canals. https://environmentreport.org/?tag=welland-canal

Maybe the locks and operators should install some nets or filters to allow the carp through but filter out the lampreys and alewives? Makes sense to me but not the Dept. of the Army apparently. Meanwhile Lake Erie is being over run with pests. Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

EII - Still believe those pics are doctored and we need to increase the numbers of asian carp, but one thing you can’t deny is the explosion of alewives and sea lamprey in the great lakes. And you know how this happened? The locks and canals. https://environmentreport.org/?tag=welland-canal

Maybe the locks and operators should install some nets or filters to allow the carp through but filter out the lampreys and alewives? Makes sense to me but not the Dept. of the Army apparently. Meanwhile Lake Erie is being over run with pests. Thanks. 

The USPS motto "Neither snow nor rain nor heat..." apparently doesn't apply to lock operators. Those (USPS) service men and women understand dedication and duty. 

Edited by Cripple Creek

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

The USPS motto "Neither snow nor rain nor heat..." apparently doesn't apply to lock operators. Those (USPS) service men and women understand dedication and duty. 

You might be making light of this, but my dad is a retired postal worker.  I can guarantee you that he worked a) harder and b) more hours than a !@#$ing lock operator does sitting down, pushing buttons for 40 hours/week.

My dad had back trouble, knee trouble, hemorrhoid trouble ... but he did, indeed, go out there every day in whatever elements mother nature threw at him. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

You might be making light of this, but my dad is a retired postal worker.  I can guarantee you that he worked a) harder and b) more hours than a !@#$ing lock operator does sitting down, pushing buttons for 40 hours/week.

My dad had back trouble, knee trouble, hemorrhoid trouble ... but he did, indeed, go out there every day in whatever elements mother nature threw at him. 

So, you are Howard and Shrl's boy? That explains a lot!

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Who said life is fair, everybody can't have it easy.

You said: "...HAD back trouble, knee trouble..."

Is he still kicking?  If not, sending prayers and sympathies from my family to your family.  Prayers always help!

If he is kicking... Thank him for his service.  Sorry he wasn't lucky to get an easy Federal job.  Tell him Walmart needs some new greeters.  I like the gray hair greeters better, they have a better perspective on life.

As far as the Asian carp go:

Deal with it Lake Erie... Again, who says life is fair. Crap rolls down hill.  When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade.

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

You're welcome.

I will say the same thing as I told his Gugness:

Who says life is fair.  Stop complaining.  Carp rolls down hill.  But they aren't in Lake Michigan and Huron.  Stop the helicopters from dropping them in Lake Erie.

I suggest you go to PPP and blame all your problems on the gov't.  That will get your mind right.

Good luck Pal, you're on your own.

6 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

So, you are Howard and Shrl's boy? That explains a lot!

Father's back couldn't have hurt too much... He still had sex.

Damn postal workers, always faking it till that pencil in their pocket pops through.

What did she do?  Give him a shot of cortisone and say: "Get back in there cowboy, we gotta a diamond to produce!"

Or... The alternate theory... BUT we won't go there it's too personal and violates ToS.  Be careful there. :devil:

Now... More serious:

Fergy's link:

He needs a geography lesson on where the Welland Canal is and which way water flows.

I am all for closing the Chicago canals.  But they also have to close the Welland and the St. Lawrence.  Alewives anf lamprey came through Welland.  In almost 60 years since Seaway was built, all invasive species, that's over a 100, came through St. Lawrence.  Not one has come the other way, until now... Possibly the Asian carp.

I am all for Closing the canal doors.  That would help Buffalo... Transportation would once again have to go through Buffalo.

Yet... Close one canal, you have to close them all.  Notice NYS is NOT party to the suit against the Federal gov't, Indiana, and Illinois?  Why? 

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Jesus, now we've lowered ourselves to making fun of dead parents?  I'm done here.

Baby!

I sent my love and prayers.  You must be a Millennial?

You’re wayyyy off on this EII. The article was just one example of how the canal system and locks (water regulation) have screwed with the natural balance of things. We want the asian carp but not the sea lampreys or the alewives. You need to figure out a way to keep the bad things out but the good things in. You have your finger on the button. You are in control. By letting in alewives, you and your fellow lock operators may be subject to liability. IMO

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You’re wayyyy off on this EII. The article was just one example of how the canal system and locks (water regulation) have screwed with the natural balance of things. We want the asian carp but not the sea lampreys or the alewives. You need to figure out a way to keep the bad things out but the good things in. You have your finger on the button. You are in control. By letting in alewives, you and your fellow lock operators may be subject to liability. IMO

Look at what dams have done to native species, including those who once lived on land that's now flooded. Bunch of buffoons in that organization.

20 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I didn't even mention what those idiots did to the lives of the indigenous human populations. They need to be stopped. 

I see your point. Wherever there's a lock currently, a small tribe may have once settled there and called it home. In comes the Dept of the Army with their lofty ideas to generate power, impose lock fees for travel between lakes, dump concrete into the lakes to build their big turnstiles. It's outrageous how they displaced an entire people for their own power grab.

36 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Look at what dams have done to native species, including those who once lived on land that's now flooded. Bunch of buffoons in that organization.

Do you like 1.6 Billion dollar a year shipping industry... ??? Human economies exist

Yeah... blow us back to the Stone Age you Commie tree hugger. Go fight for the spotted owl.

There is a commerce clause and 200 years of waterway precedent.  One of the first acts of Congress was the reaffirmation of the Northwest Ordinace.

Take it up with your founding fathers.

I thought you left... I am taking back your participation award.

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I see your point. Wherever there's a lock currently, a small tribe may have once settled there and called it home. In comes the Dept of the Army with their lofty ideas to generate power, impose lock fees for travel between lakes, dump concrete into the lakes to build their big turnstiles. It's outrageous how they displaced an entire people for their own power grab.

Here the Potawatomi dragged their canoes through the ground.  When it rained=first canals were born over the Chicago Portage.

Why?  To trade with other groups and tribes.

28 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I didn't even mention what those idiots did to the lives of the indigenous human populations. They need to be stopped. 

Go buy some land and give it back...

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here the Potawatomi dragged their canoes through the ground.  When it rained=first canals were born over the Chicago Portage.

Why?  To trade with other groups and tribes.

You would agree that it's a lot easier to drag a canoe over level land and across a river that doesn't have 20,000 tons of concrete and alewives/lampreys in it right?

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

There is no lock fee. All free.

Northwest Ordinance of 1789.

All tributaries of St.Lawrence and Mississippi shall forever be free from toll and be common highways.

Or something like that off the top of my head.

Repeal that... You'll get your fee.

Why do you think Welland is a great place for canal and not an "All-American" canal as once proposed.

Go north to Canada...

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You would agree that it's a lot easier to drag a canoe over level land and across a river that doesn't have 20,000 tons of concrete and alewives/lampreys in it right?

So you are saying The Seaway should have never been built in 1959?

Yes or no?

And no... It's easiest to use a lock to get around the dam.

Don't worry CC... I won't really take your award away.