Why not turn the tables on Asian Carp?

Cripple Creek

Also adding:  If there is rich nutrient column of water, they will simply  just "exist "there.  There probably is no reason to "bait" the hook if that is the case.  It's just simpler to seine the buggers or just let them (silver carp) jump into your boat.  But if you want the pound for pound whale of a fight out of say a 75-100 pound fish... You gotta get them fouled on your hook.  A trotline will give you more hooks in the water.

Again, silver and bighead eat nothing but plankton and algae and small particles (your bread ball breaking apart).  Tell me how small plankton and algae is? :P They exist in nutrient rich waters and cease to exist in nutrient poor waters.  This is why they won't make it in cold, deep lakes like Lake Michigan.  They will get there and find a "food desert" and turn around.  The billions of quagga mussels on the bottom of Lake Michigan and the alewives have already filtered the water clean.  Remember, the Asian carp eat what the quagga mussels and alewives eat.  Now, salmon will only eat the invasive alewives.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

That’s a good picture of you Fergy 

He must be a great attorney?  I think he's an attorney?  But sloopy in his research.  He gets common carp confused with Asian carp (bighead & silver specifically).  Hell of a fisherman though.:P

Yes.  I am busting on you Fergy... In good fun, but you have to be more attentive.  We aren't talking common carp here.  Gotta be more careful and less sloppy.

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He must be a great attorney?  I think he's an attorney?  But sloopy in his research.  He gets common carp confused with Asian carp (bighead & silver specifically).  Hell of a fisherman though.:P

Yes.  I am busting on you Fergy... In good fun, but you have to be more attentive.  We aren't talking common carp here.  Gotta be more careful and less sloppy.

For a seemingly smart guy you’re really slow on the uptake sometimes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Snagging a fish is like setting landmines out for deer or slipping a girl a mickey.   Bush League.

You are such the king of "honorable" blanket statements like this, you never disappoint Gug! :P:D

You are talking out your ass and comparing apples and oranges.  If you want a bighead or silver on a line & reel... How else do you propose without fouling (thanks for the term Fergy: "fouling" is most descriptive) them?

Again, various ASIAN (not common) carp vacuum plankton.  

Have you ever seen snagging paddlefish on the MO River? Spoonbill are also filter feeders.  How else do you propse harvesting them?

"They are filter feeders, and they spend most of their lives in open water eating microscopic animals called zooplankton. During warm weather they can often be seen jumping from the water."

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/species/paddlefish/paddlefish-tips-fishing

Yo Einstein, filter feeders eat microscopic sized food.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

For a seemingly smart guy you’re really slow on the uptake sometimes.

Expand on this.

You guys simply are not paying attention.  Still thinking within the "game fish box."

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  Snagging is slimy dirtbag stuff.  They snag the crap out of salmon in Alaska.  It’s horrible.

Yes.  Agree.  Comment on filter feeders only please.  Stay on topic.

That's exactly what I have been talking about.  The dough breaks up and they "inhale" the dangling hooks!

They are coming to the nutrients (bait) and fouling on the hooks.

What is so hard to understand?

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Well then, it’s ok to admit your error. I won’t say a word. 

No.  You simply aren't following the process.  They aren't attacking the hook.  The hooks are secondary! They thrive in nutrient rich water.  The angler is just making the water more concentrated with their "bait."  They just vacuum up and BANG! Foul on a hook or twi, or three.

Also:  Also in video the narrator says:

"It wasn't long before I got my first bite."

That is wrong in one very important way.  The angler was not getting a "bite."  He was getting an Asian carp fouled on the array of booby trap hooks he set.  Just like I was explaining up thread using a trotline rig.

The Asian carp bit at nothing.  It was vacuuming in a baited and concentrated area of nutrients in the water column and snagged on the hooks.  Asian carp do not bite... They vacuum.

The notion that I think they can't be taken with rod and reel IS simply ludicrous!  I have always maintained they can be taken on rod and reel, they just have to be fouled or snagged secondary on the booby trap of hooks.

I am slow on up take if you really are effing with me. :P:P. I can't tell...:D ;)Sorry.

But I am getting you guys to dig a little.  That is always most productive. 

29 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It is obvious to me that someone in this thread is:

1. full of ****
  2. unable to man up and admit that he/she is full of ****
  3. cannot think clearly
  4. is quite possibly over medicating 

Or:

This Asian carp thing is a joke and full of misinformation by the ones that think they are problem.

I guess it is really true, people's biases, especially when it comes to stuff like this, really die hard.

Why is it so hard to accept that Asian carp are filter feeders.  Why is it so hard to accept that like other filter feeders, in order to be caught by rod & reel, they need to be snagged OR: baited and booby trapped to foul them on multiple hooks like on a trotline or baitball rig.

Admit it... That is how you catch a filter feeder that feeds on microscopic planton and other small parts in the water column:  hooks just danngling around.

That's not: "biting a baited hook."  And yes, it is unlike anything traditional N.American anglers have been accustomed to doing.

Accept it.  They either jump in your boat, you seine them, shock them, or foul/snag them on line.  Why is this soooo hard to come to grips with?  Because it is "chicken poo" to do it. 

Get over yourselves big bad, honorable anglers!

Thems the facts.  Accept it, you're flat wrong if you think they "bite a baited hook".  They foul on hooks in baited water.  That's snagging.  You are just helping it with more chum in water.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Or:

This Asian carp thing is a joke and full of misinformation by the ones that think they are problem.

I guess it is really true, people's biases, especially when it comes to stuff like this, really die hard.

Why is it so hard to accept that Asian carp are filter feeders.  Why is it so hard to accept that like other filter feeders, in order to caught by rod & reel, they needed to be snagged OR: baited and booby trapped to foul them on multiple hooks like on a trotline or baitball rig.

Admit... That is how you catch a filter feeder that feeds on microscopic planton and other small parts in the watet column:  hooks just danngling around.

That's not: "biting a baited hook."  And yes, it is unlike anything traditional N.American anglers have been accustomed to doing.

Accept it.  They either jump in your boat, you seine them, shock them, or foul/snag them on line.  Why is this soooo hard to come to grips with?  Because it is "chicken poo" to do it 

Get over yourselves big bad, honorable anglers!

Thems the facs.  Accept it  you're flat wrong if you think they "bite a baited hook".  They foul on hooks in baited water.  That's snagging.  You are just helping it with more chum in water.

I don't care where you seine them, that's immaterial to the argument you are losing here. 

13 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I don't care where you seine them, that's immaterial to the argument you are losing here. 

We aren't talking about that.  Stay on topic.  To catch them by line and reel, you need to bait the water and snag/foul them.

They aren't looking for what's on a hook, because nothing is on the hook.  Heck, even the chum is falling off the rig.  The hooks are just there.  Did you hear in the video (one by lock & dam)... That they toss the line of hooks into a group of fish... School of thick fish.

Get over yourselves.  You're snagging/fouling.  They are chumming and snagging.

All who argue against this are losing the argument.  Admit it.  They aren't seeking your line like other non-filter feeder fish.  You're fouling them.  You're booby trapping them.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You are such the king of "honorable" blanket statements like this, you never disappoint Gug! :P:D

You are talking out your ass and comparing apples and oranges.  If you want a bighead or silver on a line & reel... How else do you propose without fouling (thanks for the term Fergy: "fouling" is most descriptive) them?

Again, various ASIAN (not common) carp vacuum plankton.  

Have you ever seen snagging paddlefish on the MO River? Spoonbill are also filter feeders.  How else do you propse harvesting them?

"They are filter feeders, and they spend most of their lives in open water eating microscopic animals called zooplankton. During warm weather they can often be seen jumping from the water."

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/species/paddlefish/paddlefish-tips-fishing

Yo Einstein, filter feeders eat microscopic sized food.

Yo, Einstein.  They make smaller hooks.  Do you even fish???