Why not turn the tables on Asian Carp?

Cripple Creek

On 11/24/2017 at 9:45 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.

But it's Asian carp.  To expect it not to be run off the rails is foolish.  Where have you been the last 20 years Rip Van Carp.  Now all of a sudden you want to eat them.

NEWSFLASH: In the 1970s they were introduced to the Nile so as to have a sustainable food source for the hungry, poor populations.  Why do you think they are taking off in our big flow rivers here?

Yet, Nile tilapia is where it is at:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285757472_On-farm_feed_management_practices_for_Nile_tilapia_Oreochromis_niloticus_in_Egypt

Still, Asian carp is cage cultured:

This is soo wrong. You need to do some more research. By the way, all these pics you are posting are doctored. Adobe photoshop and Google video editor are amazing tools. I can replicate a single albino moose in Canada and make it look like there are hundreds in a group. The fact is, there are no pics of an individual asian carp in any of your "proof" that are different from the others. So your argument that they are bountiful is suspect.

We should try and do a federal government carp count this Spring 2018 and hopefully pass some legislation to increase the numbers. Maybe even put them on the "potentially endangered" list.

14 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

This is soo wrong. You need to do some more research. By the way, all these pics you are posting are doctored. Adobe photoshop and Google video editor are amazing tools. I can replicate a single albino moose in Canada and make it look like there are hundreds in a group. The fact is, there are no pics of an individual asian carp in any of your "proof" that are different from the others. So your argument that they are bountiful is suspect.

We should try and do a federal government carp count this Spring 2018 and hopefully pass some legislation to increase the numbers. Maybe even put them on the "potentially endangered" list.

Even for me, your post makes absolutely no sense but I am trying to understand your post. They (gov'ts) have been doing a carp count every year for the last decade.  Where have you been?  If you are saying there is nothing to worry about, you are right.  The same gov't science guy caught both carp above the barrier...  7 years apart.  First one in 2010 (bighead) and second one in 2017 (silver).  Coincidence that the same guy found them both?  Or was it planted?  Find one every so many years=funding stays alive=the drama continues=job security for the DNR people.  We are talking 100s of millions of $$$$ on this boondoggle.

What do you think they are wasting your tax dollars on in this picture:

Asian-Carp01.jpg

It's a carp count on the lower Illinois river.

If you look carefully, you will see that they are shocking the fish with electricity.  Look on bow of boat, you can see the railing where the electrode arrays are (guy with orange PFD on). That's, just not Asian carp jumping, it's basically anything in the water swimming that's getting jolted within the affected area.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Even for me, your post makes absolutely no sense but I am trying to understand your post. They (gov'ts) have been doing a carp count every year for the last decade.  Where have you been?  If you are saying there is nothing to worry about, you are right.  The same gov't science guy caught both carp above the barrier...  7 years apart.  First one in 2010 (bighead) and second one in 2017 (silver).  Coincidence that the same guy found them both?  Or was it planted?  Find one every so many years=funding stays alive=the drama continues=job security for the DNR people.  We are talking 100s of millions of $$$$ on this boondoggle.

Asian-Carp01.jpg

If you look carefully, you will see that they are shocking the fish with electricity.  Look on bow of boat, you can see the railing where the electrode arrays are (guy with orange PFD on). That's, just not Asian carp jumping, it's basically anything in the water swimming that's getting jolted within the affected area.

I’m not talking about some Illinois town council study or a group of high schoolers doing commuity service....I’m talkin’ deep government, iron clad, no budget line, federal government study to count the true number of asian carp. Take an honest look at these photos you’re posting. They all show a crescent sized fish in various stages of unrest flopping above the water. Not one fish has a tag that identifies it as being different from the next. Can you say doctored photos?

There is a movement within the Interior Department (possibly even the Department of the Army) to claim the asian carp numbers are up while the opposite is true. I don’t buy your argument that some guy can stand in the middle of a river and identify 2000 different carp in one session. Shoot, I can hardly identify my own kids at the dinner table. 

The fact is we need more carp and eels in our waterways. Let them proliferate as they do in the orient. Our diet and the longevity of our ecosystem depends on it.  

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Asian-Carp01.jpg

This is photoshopped.  Anyone can see that.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Is that a shark with a chainsaw jumping menacingly toward Ian Ziering in the front of the boat?

Whoever doctored this photo (might have been EII) did an amateur job. Probably borrowed an old photo from a "Straight to VHS" movie and copied and pasted 1000's of the same fish. Fail

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Whoever doctored this photo (might have been EII) did an amateur job. Probably borrowed an old photo from a "Straight to VHS" movie and copied and pasted 1000's of the same fish. Fail

I was actually was around when they shocked the lower river pool.  Also when they poisoned  it with rotenone.  Pulled out 100,000 pieces of fish. We have to get people to think it was faked.  Maybe a movie?  How about:

"Asian Carpricorn One"

If we can convince everybody that this is really fake news... Count me in!  I am all for it.

This whole Asian caro thing is a farce.  We need Fergy anf Gug to start spreading that this stuff is faked!  Can they head the PR team?

I now see where you guys are going with this and I am all for it!

Just now, aceman_16 said:

They are fun to catch! I have never eaten one though.

I hear the Asians love them.  And, they always throw one back for good luck.

Anglo fish are so toast!  Those sneaky Asian fish always find ways to out compete the fussy Anglo fish.  Oh, so are water skiers and Michigan's way of life, toast that is.

:lol:

53 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Thank you for capitulating!!!! Now, just admit that you were wrong... 

They do put up a hell of fight when you snag them.  I am glad you agree too and finally see what I have been saying since page one.

Reading comprehension is critical here.

Oh... And if you forgot, this is all I ever said on the topic:

"Sport fish" in Europe... But they won't bite a baited hook.  Gotta snag.  Use bread or corn, even set up a trotline."-EiL, page one.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Quote me where I said that they "can't be taken by rod and reel... Can't be taken on a line." 

Do you know what a trotline is?  Do you know what "biting at a baited hook" means vs. getting snagged on a baited hook?

Why the hell would you “snag” them on a baited hook? What the hell is the purpose of the bait? It’s like catching salmon during a run...they are jam packed in the river, and you bait the hook with an egg sack which you hope they bite on to. Once you feel the tug, you set the hook. Some are caught in the mouf...others are foul hooked. Either way...bait implies mouth. Snagging (if it happens) is secondary. You are wayyy off on this theory of yours. 

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Why the hell would you “snag” them on a baited hook? What the hell is the purpose of the bait? It’s like catching salmon during a run...they are jam packed in the river, and you bait the hook with an egg sack which you hope they bite on to. Once you feel the tug, you set the hook. Some are caught in the mouf...others are foul hooked. Either way...bait implies mouth. Snagging (if it happens) is secondary. You are wayyy off on this theory of yours. 

Yes, it is secondary.

Because all they do to feed is face towards the flow and open mouth.  They filter feed.  

Say you use a bread ball.  It will enter the water via the hook and then break apart and fall off hook.  As the pieces of bait are floating around, the hook is secondary. They get snagged, you set, the fight is on.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes, it is secondary.

Because all they do to feed is face towards the flow and open mouth.  They filter feed.  

Say you use a bread ball.  It will enter the water via the hook and then break apart and fall off hook.  As the pieces of bait are floating around, the hook is secondary. They get snagged, you set, the fight is on.

Trout feed face forward as well...but catching them is predicated on some type of bait (worm, dry fly, nymph, etc). The bait looks/appears to the trout as something worthwhile. Such is the idea of “bait” (i.e. a baited hook). A carp will ingest a baited hook if the attractant appears worthwhile. If they are snagged/foul hooked, so be it.  

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Trout feed face forward as well...but catching them is predicated on some type of bait (worm, dry fly, nymph, etc). The bait looks/appears to the trout as something worthwhile. Such is the idea of “bait” (i.e. a baited hook). A carp will ingest a baited hook if the attractant appears worthwhile. If they are snagged/foul hooked, so be it.  

I say silver and bighead (grass and black carp switch to other food when mature).

Trout are not filter feeders 

Asian carp feed by filtering the plankton.  That's it.  They open mouth and exist.  They are purely swimming around vacuuming. They stumble on to the hook.  They aren't seeking out what's on the hook.  They are vacuuming what ever exists.  If there are more nutrients in water, they gravitate. Your hook is secondary.  

I am trying to be pollite.  You are still thinking in terms of normal game fish.  They feed totally outside this box you are thinking in. They are just "there" and so is your hook.

"The Asian carp, in fact, is a clean fish that feeds on plankton and algae in the upper water of rivers. It's rich in protein and low in mercury because it doesn't eat other fish. The tender flesh lacks a “fishy” taste, so it easily absorbs the flavors of sauces, spices and herbs cooked with it."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois