CTE Discovered in a Living Patient

26CornerBlitz

10 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

He may be a quack but he's right on with this article.  

First off, let's be clear there is no blood test.  BU's Dr. Ann Mckee found CCL11 markers in sampled CSF from deceased subjects.  It more confirms that there is a uniqueness to CTE as compared to alzheimer's and control patients.  

The Chicago imaging study has its flaws.  They imaged tau, which is hardly a unique brain protein.  They admit at the end of the paper the scans don't correlate well with the severity of the disease, and several of the authors own the rights to the imaging agent and belong to a for-profit company involving the agent.

Both are useful studies but there is a long way to go.

Yes, there is no test yet, but the CTE guru is saying there will be one in 5 years.  What would be the value of it if it is so nonspecific for actual disease?

11 hours ago, Worstcaseontario said:

Soft parents, no pain no gain.

I have a coffee with a retired cop every month and every visit he tells me that every morning he wakes up and is sad that he can't put on his helmet and play safety and try to crack open some wimp WR's skull as he did through University.

Vindicated!!

I started a thread years ago suggesting we test ALL current Bills players, free agents, and potential draft picks for CTE to mitigate our risk of lawsuits and potential Hernandez situations which could adversely effect the franchise in the future.  As you might expect, I was roundly mocked by the unwashed masses here who wouldn't know a thing about the scientific method even if Bill Nye kicked them in the groin.

Line up and apologize, jerks!

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Vindicated!!

I started a thread years ago suggesting we test ALL current Bills players, free agents, and potential draft picks for CTE to mitigate our risk of lawsuits and potential Hernandez situations which could adversely effect the franchise in the future.  As you might expect, I was roundly mocked by the unwashed masses here who wouldn't know a thing about the scientific method even if Bill Nye kicked them in the groin.

Line up and apologize, jerks!

Have you scheduled your test yet? 

On 11/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, there is no test yet, but the CTE guru is saying there will be one in 5 years.  What would be the value of it if it is so nonspecific for actual disease?

Which guru is that?  The tau study was an imaging study, it may have some use in discerning neurodegenerative disorders such as alzheimer's, dementia, CTE.  Not sure if it will be specific enough (maybe by it's patterning) to differentiate the disorder but it should be able to conclude there's a problem.  There's just a lot of work to do with specificity and if it's capable of early detectability.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:58 PM, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

It's interesting that this is now possible, but (forgive my ignorance) doesn't this not really do anything except confirm a suspicion? There is no cure, or really treatment, for this, so maybe it would just keep the doctors from chasing after other diseases effecting the patient and at least put a name on what's ailing the patient, but still not fix it, right?

This is an appeal for more research money, nothing more.

Just now, BuffAlone said:

Happy to hear this for the human condition. Saddened to hear this for the game we all love.  This will hurt the play of the NFL in a decade, as tackling will not be permitted within a decade. 

The NFL isn't going anywhere because college football isn't going anywhere

everybody who plays knows it's a dangerous game. People used to die at a lot higher rate than they do today. It's a violent game 

Teddy Roosevelts kid was severely hurt and he even stepped in with Ivy League schools to make the game safer 

boxing is very dangerous too. Every boxer and football player know the risks