Shocking news just released!!!

Nervous Guy

2 hours ago, SDS said:

If they were truly legit then just let me know and I will restore them.  You had about 44. 

Wait, is this a real thing?  Not points taken, but a butthurt bumpkin #feeling sad he got his happy faces taken?  Awe, Cleti is mad

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Companies in this country have it easy when it comes to PTO/sick time.

**** wait until you have to manage someone under intermittent FMLA.  Nightmare. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Being one of the people who generally leaves time on the table, it is because I choose to put my job as a priority,  The truth is there are a spectrum of reasons for this being true across a large group of people.  To your implied point, the perception of employer pressure is one of them.

I once worked for a company that offered 15 days a year PTO. Problem is, you could never get them to approve the scheduled time.

If something is offered, but you can't use them, what good is it? :P

Edit: clarification: you couldn't use your time from Oct-Jan at that workplace.

"business needs"

Edited by joesixpack

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Wait, is this a real thing?  Not points taken, but a butthurt bumpkin #feeling sad he got his happy faces taken?  Awe, Cleti is mad

Let’s not let this thing get further out of synch with what was originally intended.  The thread was started in fun.  The humor had run it’s course and the thread needed to die.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I once worked for a company that offered 15 days a year PTO. Problem is, you could never get them to approve the scheduled time.

If something is offered, but you can't use them, what good is it? :P

In all honesty you had either a bad boss, bad employer (or both). I agree if they are there you should have the opportunity to use them.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Let’s not let this thing get further out of synch with what was originally intended.  The thread was started in fun.  The humor had run it’s course and the thread neede to die.

In all honesty you had either a bad boss, bad employer (or both). I agree if they are there you should have the opportunity to use them.

And that's what my point is. In this country, there's an emphasis on businesses and business owners, and not on employees.

It's the opposite of the rest of the developed world.

Edit: I'm not saying I know what the answer is here, only that the reason people abuse sick time is because of how many employers handle PTO.

Edited by joesixpack

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And that's what my point is. In this country, there's an emphasis on businesses and business owners, and not on employees.

It's the opposite of the rest of the developed world.

Edit: I'm not saying I know what the answer is here, only that the reason people abuse sick time is because of how many employers handle PTO.

Understand your points.

There also tends to be cyclical trends with this kind of stuff.  People become more liberal in their use of time off in a stronger job market.  It’s pretty simple, if you’re not concerned about job security you are probably a little more lax when it comes to bending or breaking the rules.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Understand your points.

There also tends to be cyclical trends with this kind of stuff.  People become more liberal in their use of time off in a stronger job market.  It’s pretty simple, if you’re not concerned about job security you are probably a little more lax when it comes to bending or breaking the rules.

Yeah, I hear you. My ex is a teacher. Those people with tenure and union protection abuse the rules on the regular. A lot of them get away with **** that just wouldn't fly in the private sector.

A tactical point:  I always liked going with the vague "stomach not so good..." :sick: type excuse.  This conjures hints of things that people are unlikely to want details about :lol:.  The causes could be various and you have some flexibility with the timeframe.  Is it viral?  Something you ate?  Who knows?

I haven't taken a sick day in over two years, but I always support someone's right to take the occasional "mental health" day if they feel the need.  As long as it's not all the time and doesn't screw over coworkers too bad, I don't see it as a problem.

Edited by Cugalabanza

45 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

**** wait until you have to manage someone under intermittent FMLA.  Nightmare. 

Crawl your way back over to PPP where you belong....

• Haha (+1) 1

I used to work for a company that PTO and Sick Days were separate. PTO could carry over until you reached a certain number of days (I think it was about 4 weeks worth). Sick Days you would lose at the end of the year. So I, and others, would check with the boss if it was okay that we would "be sick" some day coming up. He would generally agree that it was okay, just remind him the day before.