Teacher arrested for selling heroin

Saxum

You want to know the basic problem of the opioid epidemic?  When a teacher has a hundred capsules of horse and several hundred oxy...and you can't begin to imagine how someone gets their hands on that much oxy.

Heroin's not the problem.  A medical industry that gets people hooked on oxy when heroin is easier and cheaper to get than oxy is the problem.

• Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You want to know the basic problem of the opioid epidemic?  When a teacher has a hundred capsules of horse and several hundred oxy...and you can't begin to imagine how someone gets their hands on that much oxy.

Heroin's not the problem.  A medical industry that gets people hooked on oxy when heroin is easier and cheaper to get than oxy is the problem.

AMEN! 

17 hours ago, DC Tom said:

So true...

I collaborate with a local mental health agency that my school district contracts with to provide substance abuse prevention/treatment services to our students.  I would estimate that close to 95% of our students who are being treated for heroin addiction disclosed in their intake interview that they got their start with opioid pain medication and moved on to heroin because it was cheaper and more readily available.

We lost 2 students to heroin overdose already just during this school year.  One of which was a varsity hockey player who became addicted after receiving copious amounts of Hydrocodone (his physician is under investigation) to treat a minor back injury.  He was also an assistant coach/volunteer for my son’s mite hockey team.  Took my son to his funeral two weeks ago to say goodbye. Horrifying.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nervous Guy said:

Wait until someone you love dies in this friggin epidemic, then try to make some jokes.  Sorry to be a downer.  It's not a joke.

You know I can joke about almost anything, no matter how dark or tragic.  I consciously avoid doing so on this topic here out of respect for you and Danny.

But it can be a healthy thing, sometimes.  Studies have shown that in survival situations, one of the biggest indicators whether a person survives or not is whether they have a sense of humor about the situation - it indicates a sense of curiosity, flexibility, and interacting with your surroundings that increases survival odds.  So macabre humor isn't entirely out of place - it does have its purposes.  

But you gotta know your audience.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So true...

I collaborate with a local mental health agency that my school district contracts with to provide substance abuse prevention/treatment services to our students.  I would estimate that close to 95% of our students who are being treated for heroin addiction disclosed in their intake interview that they got their start with opioid pain medication and moved on to heroin because it was cheaper and more readily available.

We lost 2 students to heroin overdose already just during this school year.  One of which was a varsity hockey player who became addicted after receiving copious amounts of Hydrocodone (his physician is under investigation) to treat a minor back injury.  He was also an assistant coach/volunteer for my son’s mite hockey team.  Took my son to his funeral two weeks ago to say goodbye. Horrifying.

Yep, that's the best way to describe it...horrifying.  That's how Danny got started and that was his progression...truly, just like the experience of losing a child, the drawn out downfall of addiction cannot be described or really imagined.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  Sometimes I think Duterte in the Philippines has the right idea with drug dealers and traffickers (obviously not users, they need treatment).

36 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You know I can joke about almost anything, no matter how dark or tragic.  I consciously avoid doing so on this topic here out of respect for you and Danny.

But it can be a healthy thing, sometimes.  Studies have shown that in survival situations, one of the biggest indicators whether a person survives or not is whether they have a sense of humor about the situation - it indicates a sense of curiosity, flexibility, and interacting with your surroundings that increases survival odds.  So macabre humor isn't entirely out of place - it does have its purposes.  

But you gotta know your audience.

Thanks Tom...I understand, there's some dark humor to be had, I'm just not there right now.

Just now, CountryCletus said:

@joesixpack maybe they were trying to supplement their income so they felt better about not using taxpayer dollars for campaigning... jk

No, but I'm sure her job will be fought for by the union.

Private sector? She's a goner.

Just now, joesixpack said:

No, but I'm sure her job will be fought for by the union.

Private sector? She's a goner.

I bet it won’t. Let’s not get crazy and act like all union members or members of teachers unions (whatever group you’d like to use) are bulletproof, untouchable, or however else you want to think of them... 

8 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

I bet it won’t. Let’s not get crazy and act like all union members or members of teachers unions (whatever group you’d like to use) are bulletproof, untouchable, or however else you want to think of them... 

Especially a special ed teacher.  The NEA and AFT don't give a **** about them.

• Haha (+1) 2