It Finally Clicked - The Bills have cap money...

Here's a post that you should all read. It explains the whole salary cap thing and how the Bills do technically have the $5-6 million under the cap, if they do a couple things with bonuses.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=67036

I just got in from cross country skiing and what a great chance to not only get exercise but also to think!

I finally got it. Everybody can reset their pacemakers. It all makes sense.

Clump can correct me if I am wrong and he will say "I already said that" but I haven't gone through every post in the last 24 hours so let me say it here.

The answer as to why Clayton has the Bills listed at only 625k under the cap has only a little to do with their adjustment....

Clump posted the following:

Buffalo News highlighted the largest cap numbers last week and I believe their interpretation of Mike Williams' is incorrect. His bonus is listed as a roster bonus NOT option, thus it should count $3 million not be amortized. That's why his number should continue to be at least $9.17 million, not $7.46 million.

NE39 posted that the Bills had a lot of flexibility to create cap room.

The answer was right there all the time. The $5mil that I had to Bills under the cap comes from a combination of Roster Bonuses due to Williams, Schobel, Losman and Evans. I already amoritized them. That's how the space was created.

How could the Bills be only 625K under the cap and still sign Gandy and Holcomb? As clump said they made the room by converting Schobel's roster bonus to an option bonus and spreading it out over the length of the deal. The Bills can easily go back to the numbers we have written about before IF THEY HAVE TO simply by converting roster bonuses to option bonus and spreading out the money. Somewhere along the way they must not have converted some of those roster bonuses yet.

OK, here is the kicker!!! As I said, IF THEY HAVE TO...the Bills can appear to have no cap room and still sign players, SHOULD THEY WANT TO, by converting these bonuses. If they don't want to or have to sign players then they don't need to convert these bonuses. Thus, it makes for future cap savings by having those bonuses all count this year instead of spreading them out!! Akin to what the Vikes did with Winfield last year!!!!! TD is a cap genius!!!

Thanks to clump and NE39 for the other posts. I'm not trying to steal their thunder I'm just trying to synthesize and clarify what the three of us wrote.

This makes total sense and it explains how they were able to free up $1.6 million easily to pay for Holcomb and Gandy. This also is great news because it means that TD could easily free up money for DeMulling, Law, or hopefully the Shelton trade.

This makes total sense and it explains how they were able to free up $1.6 million easily to pay for Holcomb and Gandy.  This also is great news because it means that TD could easily free up money for DeMulling, Law, or hopefully the Shelton trade.

264731[/snapback]

Cool. ;)

What the hell is the point wasting time analyzing the salary cap when the answer changes every other day? Seems like the "cap experts" are guessing, and then changing the answer they researh constantly. seems like a huge waste of time to me.