Another big reason to like Lee Evans

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...d=31040&ntpid=6

From the front page of TBD:

I really respect an NFL player, especially one that has had success and makes a lot of money, as a #1 does for example, to go back to school and get his degree in the off season. That shows a ton of character. Good for you, Lee. He's already pretty good, but this guy is going to be great, IMO.

<sarcasm>Shouldn't he be in Buffalo studying film and such? It doesn't even sound like he's buying a house in Buffalo! What the hell, he's just not dedicated to the sport!</sarcasm>

Seriously though, good for him. My brother-in-law (a UW Madison grad) has been watching some Bills games because of Evans. WHen he made a fingertip catch against someone this year (the Jets?) in the endzone, he called me and said, "Aren't you glad you drafted Evans???" He's going to be good.

CW

<sarcasm>Shouldn't he be in Buffalo studying film and such?  It doesn't even sound like he's buying a house in Buffalo!  What the hell, he's just not dedicated to the sport!</sarcasm>

Seriously though, good for him.  My brother-in-law (a UW Madison grad) has been watching some Bills games because of Evans.  WHen he made a fingertip catch against someone this year (the Jets?) in the endzone, he called me and said, "Aren't you glad you drafted Evans???"  He's going to be good.

CW

264733[/snapback]

I agree! I work with the University Of Texas athletics department. It is amazing how many of these guys never get a degree, just assuming that they are going to be making "NFL money" the rest of their lives....it is always nice to see them come back, in the offseason, to finish their degrees.

Not to change subject, but since we are talking Lee Evans...

I am a big collector of Buffalo Bills sports cards. The other day, I was purusing the Beckett Card price guide, and there was an "players under the radar" type feature on Evans. It is written totally from a collectors pov, but their was one quote from Evans I found interesting. They ask him if he had learned a lot from Eric Moulds in his first season. His answer (and I am paraphrasing), "I learned a lot from Josh Reed, we are buddies. Eric is there to answer any questions I have, but Josh and I are tight, he's taught me a lot." Not that it likely means a lot, but I just found it interesting that he went out of his way to praise Josh Reed, and seemed to characterize his relationship with Moulds as being very professional!

I really respect an NFL player, especially one that has had success and makes a lot of money, as a #1 does for example, to go back to school and get his degree in the off season. That shows a ton of character. Good for you, Lee. He's already pretty good, but this guy is going to be great, IMO.

264710[/snapback]

I don't think there is a receiver in the NFL I would rather have. This guy is an amazing talent.

His answer (and I am paraphrasing), "I learned a lot from Josh Reed, we are buddies.  Eric is there to answer any questions I have, but Josh and I are tight, he's taught me a lot."  Not that it likely means a lot, but I just found it interesting that he went out of his way to praise Josh Reed, and seemed to characterize his relationship with Moulds as being very professional!

264803[/snapback]

If you think about it though, it probably is easier to make a connection with someone close to your own age. EM is getting a little long in the tooth (for a football player, that is).

The link isn't working anymore?

265284[/snapback]

Strange, you're right. It worked yesterday. It basically said that Wisconsin students were surprised to see Lee Evans in their classrooms over the summer as he went back to get his degree. IIRC, he is taking 9 credits and then has 6 more to go which he will get the next year.

Are you kidding me? Donahoe blows! He couldn't draft anyone if he tried!

264710[/snapback]