Wondering what the difference is

JoeF

Last year OBD paraded out just about every UFA the Bills hosted. This year we are being very secretive...wonder what the difference is? It doesn't even sound like Holcomb visited....

Just a little strange and a big change in perspective...

Last year OBD paraded out just about every UFA the Bills hosted.  This year we are being very secretive...wonder what the difference is?  It doesn't even sound like Holcomb visited....

I think it's about trying to be as secretive with your FA wants as it is with draft wants. And I was surprised to learn that the Bills had contact Holcomb as the start of the FA period, whereas it looked like a totally immediate thing.

Last year OBD paraded out just about every UFA the Bills hosted.  This year we are being very secretive...wonder what the difference is?  It doesn't even sound like Holcomb visited....

264691[/snapback]

I was going to start a post about this tomorrow and explain my perspective, but i might as well do it now. I honestly think, like all things in this business, is about making money. We had a winning season last year, things are looking up, new QB, etc. so we can afford to be a bit more secretive in our moves this off-season. Being secretive hopefully has some advantages in the world of a GM. Last season, and the two seasons prior TD was not able to be secretive. He had to get people excited, he had to sell tickets. Bringing players in generates excitement and excitement equals ticket sales. I think that TD feels we will have a hell of a product this year, and he doesn't need to show his whole hand before the draft just to get people talking about the Bills. Good strategy, PR and football wise.

I was going to start a post about this tomorrow and explain my perspective, but i might as well do it now.  I honestly think, like all things in this business, is about making money.  We had a winning season last year, things are looking up, new QB, etc. so we can afford to be a bit more secretive in our moves this off-season.  Being secretive hopefully has some advantages in the world of a GM.  Last season, and the two seasons prior TD was not able to be secretive.  He had to get people excited, he had to sell tickets.  Bringing players in generates excitement and excitement equals ticket sales.  I think that TD feels we will have a hell of a product this year, and he doesn't need to show his whole hand before the draft just to get people talking about the Bills.  Good strategy, PR and football wise.

I think that's part of it. I also think that NOT letting other teams know about who you want helps keep that player's price lower since there would seemingly be less competition for him, because other teams wouldn't say "hey, he's visiting Buffalo and they have the same needs as us, let's bring him in." Frankly I like it better this way, rather than hearing about everyone being paraded through, wondering whether he's worth signing, and then pissing and moaning because he didn't sign, or signed for too much.

I was going to start a post about this tomorrow and explain my perspective, but i might as well do it now.  I honestly think, like all things in this business, is about making money.  We had a winning season last year, things are looking up, new QB, etc. so we can afford to be a bit more secretive in our moves this off-season.  Being secretive hopefully has some advantages in the world of a GM.  Last season, and the two seasons prior TD was not able to be secretive.  He had to get people excited, he had to sell tickets.  Bringing players in generates excitement and excitement equals ticket sales.  I think that TD feels we will have a hell of a product this year, and he doesn't need to show his whole hand before the draft just to get people talking about the Bills.  Good strategy, PR and football wise.

264897[/snapback]

I think you two have hit on the major two reasons--not as much reason to market because we are coming off a winning season and switched to a young, exciting QB and wanting to be secretive to keep FA prices down and for competitive advantage.

We have been used the last couple of years a couple of times to raise market value--but not near as much as the jets...

264691[/snapback]

Kelly never came to Buffalo.