Ron Edwards

Frez

Edwards showed bursts of speed though. Personally, i think he'll be just fine lined up with sam adams. Sam, pat, and big ted all have the ability to make the person next to them better, simply because of their size and strength. There probably won't be much of a drop off. Pat wasn't an every down guy anyways. Edwards just needs to use sam adams to his advantage.

Ron Edwards has a little better pas rushing ability if you ask me. I remember the Miami game when he came on strong.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ronny this year at the DT spot.

IMHO, I think Edwards is only a step down from Williams. Obviously a better pass rusher, Edwards could be the prescence that we need on the line to rush the QB. Everyone knows that Phat Pat is a better run stuffer, but I think that TD and co. made the right decision to get rid of an aging DT who was asking for a lot.

IMHO, I think Edwards is only a step down from Williams. Obviously a better pass rusher, Edwards could be the prescence that we need on the line to rush the QB. Everyone knows that Phat Pat is a better run stuffer, but I think that TD and co. made the right decision to get rid of an aging DT who was asking for a lot.

264761[/snapback]

I agree...

Here is the 2001 pre-draft report on Edwards. Sounds like he was a major sleeper pick at the time, a guy who had a ton of potential but questionable ability to apply himself and questionable focus. Not the worst thign in the world, a lot of 22 year old kids have trouble with that type of thing. However, I liked what htey say about himb eing quick into the backfield and a guy who creates problems against single teams.

Also his 40 time is absurd for a DT, 4.7 is considered pretty good for a DE.

AGILITY TESTS

4.77 in the 40-yard dash...33.5-inch vertical jump...430-pound bench press...374-pound power clean...33 1/8-inch vertical jump...10 1/8-inch hands.

ANALYSIS

Positives...Very quick off the snap, creating problems for an isolated blocker with his array of spin moves...Very effective shooting the gaps, rolling his hips properly while keeping his balance working inside in run support...Uses his speed to penetrate and push the pocket...Comfortable in the two-gap alignment, which frees him up to work off the edge...Has quick and flexible move-ments combating in pursuit.

Negatives...Needs to apply himself...Has a lot of talent, but will generally “coast” through the action...Very quick coming off the edge, but needs to be focused in order to display those skills... Lacks play recognition ability...Comes out of his stance too high, not using his hands properly to keep blockers from getting into his chest...When he does use his hands, he struggles to shed and disengage because he’s determined to out-muscle the blocker rather than technique him...His intensity level is lacking, except when someone lights a fire under him...Rarely finishes his job when flashing into the backfield, seeming content to just flush the quarterback out rather than attack.

CAREER NOTES

The anchor of the Aggies’ defensive line, starting 35 consecutive regular season games at the nose guard position...One of the quickest down linemen in college football...Recorded 121 tackles (53 solos) with ten sacks for minus 66 yards and 23 stops for losses of 122 yards during his career.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr01/d...dronedwards.asp