Sex Allegations Against Roy Moore Send Republicans Reeling

ALF

28 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

So where are the actual charges and investigations?

There will be none, but Moore had to know that his past dating history would come out when running for the US Senate.  I read the whole Washington Post article and forced myself to listen to the Hannity interview where Moore did himself no favors.  I think at least some of the allegations are true and that he's a creepy guy who would hit on teenagers in his 30's.  It's up to the people of Alabama to decide for themselves though and I have no problem if they elect him.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

No, he's toast 

messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly badgered teen-age girls. Some say that they heard this at the time, others in the years since. These people include five members of the local legal community, two cops who worked in the town, several people who hung out at the mall in the early eighties, and a number of former mall employees. (A request for comment from the Moore campaign was not answered.) Several of them asked that I leave their names out of this piece. The stories that they say they’ve heard for years have been swirling online in the days since the Postpublished its report. “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday. (Wilson declined to divulge his sources.) Teresa Jones, a deputy district attorney for Etowah County in the early eighties, told CNN last week that “it was common knowledge that Roy dated high-school girls.” Jones told me that she couldn’t confirm the alleged mall banning, but said, “It’s a rumor I’ve heard for years.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/locals-were-troubled-by-roy-moores-interactions-with-teen-girls-at-the-gadsden-mall

those damn Yankees!!! 

He is a goner. Unless, they can find one of the accusers to admit they lied for someone. I don't think that is going to happen, unless someone gets one of these ladies on recording when they are away from a lawyer.

39 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

So where are the actual charges and investigations?

Roy Moore said the other day he would sue the Washington Post for defamation. Do you believe he will follow through with that? If not, do you believe the Washington Post actually did defame him even though it has never been proven in a court of law? The news reporters are innocent until proven guilty.

26 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There will be none, but Moore had to know that his past dating history would come out when running for the US Senate.  I read the whole Washington Post article and forced myself to listen to the Hannity interview where Moore did himself no favors.  I think at least some of the allegations are true and that he's a creepy guy who would hit on teenagers in his 30's.  It's up to the people of Alabama to decide for themselves though and I have no problem if they elect him.

The problem is that the people telling the story have a horrible credibility problem, which they brought on to themselves, so under what used to be normal circumstances I think most people would be inclined to agree with you; now, however, people don't believe the media are above ruining someone with baseless accusations for political reasons.

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So if I'm still hooking up with 18 19 and 20 year olds I'm a creep... Gee thanks

50 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The problem is that the people telling the story have a horrible credibility problem, which they brought on to themselves, so under what used to be normal circumstances I think most people would be inclined to agree with you; now, however, people don't believe the media are above ruining someone with baseless accusations for political reasons.

It's good people are becoming more cognizant of smear jobs, but there is a danger in calling any story that challenges your belief system or political leaning as "fake news" without even attempting to investigate further.  

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

So if I'm still hooking up with 18 19 and 20 year olds I'm a creep... Gee thanks

tenor.gif

I have no clue how old you are, but whatever suits your fancy as long as its legal.  I suggest not running for Senate if you're still doing it in your 30's though.

Edited by Doc Brown

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

And since that’s the only piece of evidence we must conclude we have no clue.

Oh look another fun article:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/gadsden_residents_say_moores_b.html

I don’t understand what’s difficult. Surely you all thought Anthony Weiner was guilty well before his trial verdict was returned. You’re allowed to make basic judgment calls in the face of overwhelming evidence.

I'm also allowed not to.

I don't know why that's such a hard concept.  Articles, accusations, and editorials are not "overwhelming evidence."  And I am allowed to admit that I don't know what I don't know.  It's one of the things that makes me so much smarter than you, actually.

As for Weiner...there wasn't a trial verdict, you idiot.  He pled guilty and cut a deal.  

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Roy Moore said the other day he would sue the Washington Post for defamation. Do you believe he will follow through with that? If not, do you believe the Washington Post actually did defame him even though it has never been proven in a court of law? The news reporters are innocent until proven guilty.

Well, he's accused the Post of defamation.  That sounds like overwhelming evidence to me, by your definition.

You should not deprive a person of property or various freedoms without some form of conviction, but the standards are all over the map for this.

you can be kicked out of your golf club or get fired from your job for mere rumours that damage your image or professionalism, tax authorities can deem unreported income based on their suspicion of the appearance of tax avoidance, , Customs has great leeway based on hunches.

non-disclosure agreements often allow the rich and powerful to keep settlements from becoming public

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's good people are becoming more cognizant of smear jobs, but there is a danger in calling any story that challenges your belief system or political leaning as "fake news" without even attempting to investigate further.  

tenor.gif

I have no clue how old you are, but whatever suits your fancy as long as its legal.  I suggest not running for Senate if you're still doing it in your 30's though.

I think it'd be hilarious if I did though.

I'm 47.

Edited by Boyst62

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's not that the story challenges people's political leanings, it's that the media have been caught unapologetically pushing agendas to the point of lying and actually manufacturing what they are reporting themselves, and people don't trust them to not be doing that in this instance, and have tuned them out.

It's the classic "boy who cried wolf" scenario.

This is Classic current GOP Trump progression or response from person in question and the followers:

- Didn't do it

- Its a conspiracy

- Ok,,,.I did something like it...but not like she/they said

- You don't have enough evidence to convict me...

- I am innocent until proven guilty....

No...someone running for Senate doesn't get a trial...its a campaign...not a court of law....Why doesn't the GOP and the good people of Alabama elect someone of undisputed integrity for one of the highest offices in the land? Someone who - when they got elected...people would say....damn...so glad this guy is here now...he or she can really help us out... Why nominate someone who has been kicked off the bench...twice...What is this person possibly going to add to our national discussion? Is he an expert on Health Care...Taxes....ANY of the issues that our country could do better....?

The GOP/Trump think has sunk to the point where it now elects and puts in office/on the bench pretty much on the best person who can be the worst qualified for that position....as DT would say....SAD....

10 minutes ago, baskin said:

This is Classic current GOP Trump progression or response from person in question and the followers:

- Didn't do it

- Its a conspiracy

- Ok,,,.I did something like it...but not like she/they said

- You don't have enough evidence to convict me...

- I am innocent until proven guilty....

No...someone running for Senate doesn't get a trial...its a campaign...not a court of law....Why doesn't the GOP and the good people of Alabama elect someone of undisputed integrity for one of the highest offices in the land? Someone who - when they got elected...people would say....damn...so glad this guy is here now...he or she can really help us out... Why nominate someone who has been kicked off the bench...twice...What is this person possibly going to add to our national discussion? Is he an expert on Health Care...Taxes....ANY of the issues that our country could do better....?

The GOP/Trump think has sunk to the point where it now elects and puts in office/on the bench pretty much on the best person who can be the worst qualified for that position....as DT would say....SAD....

The last good thought to come out of you left a stain in your underpants. 

14 hours ago, Tiberius said:

No, he's toast 

messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly badgered teen-age girls. Some say that they heard this at the time, others in the years since. These people include five members of the local legal community, two cops who worked in the town, several people who hung out at the mall in the early eighties, and a number of former mall employees. (A request for comment from the Moore campaign was not answered.) Several of them asked that I leave their names out of this piece. The stories that they say they’ve heard for years have been swirling online in the days since the Postpublished its report. “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday. (Wilson declined to divulge his sources.) Teresa Jones, a deputy district attorney for Etowah County in the early eighties, told CNN last week that “it was common knowledge that Roy dated high-school girls.” Jones told me that she couldn’t confirm the alleged mall banning, but said, “It’s a rumor I’ve heard for years.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/locals-were-troubled-by-roy-moores-interactions-with-teen-girls-at-the-gadsden-mall

those damn Yankees!!! 

Sounds like they have a dossier on him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ALF said:

The one time they should have listened to Trump and voted for Big Luther. It would be ironic if a red state like Alabama had a democrat for Senator.

Not really. It will have to be one hell of a conservative democrat to retain the seat, though.

22 hours ago, baskin said:

1.Why doesn't the GOP and the good people of Alabama elect someone of undisputed integrity for one of the highest offices in the land? 

2. Someone who - when they got elected...people would say....damn...so glad this guy is here now...he or she can really help us out...

1. Lololololololol.  Name one Senator from either party with "undisputed integrity".  The last political figure I can remember as having "undisputed integrity....man of honor, etc." was......wait for it.....James Comey.  OMFG

2. Lol.  We need Senators to "help us out".

None of this is meant to be a defense of creep Moore. It is more of a comment about how immensely naive your post was.