Is Shaq a bust?

Punt75

I thought he was drafted as a pass rusher?  Suddenly he's become an 'average' DL.  I don't see the quick's needed to upset any offense.  I'd rather have Alexander come in and take his spot with Milano at LB in passing situations.  The lack of pressure from the front 4 is killing the defense. 

This has been discussed before.  He wasn't expected to be a major pass rusher.  His main contributions have been setting the edge on running plays.  On Thurs night, Romo pointed out how he was doing great setting the edge.

At this point it appears that he will be a part time run stopping DE in a mostly pass oriented league so, while I wouldn’t call him a bust because he’s young and is contributing something valuable, I am a little disappointed in a 1st round draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shaq is basically a rookie. The thing he excels at in this point in time is setting the edge and playing the run really well. He wasn't drafted to be Von Miller. He will get you 8-10 sacks a year while being stout against the run though. That is far from a bust imo. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Shaq is basically a rookie. The thing he excels at in this point in time is setting the edge and playing the run really well. He wasn't drafted to be Von Miller. He will get you 8-10 sacks a year while being stout against the run though. That is far from a bust imo. 

And that was always what I thought he was drafted as, but through 8 games this year (he has played in 7) he has 2 sacks.  Now i know the whole D-Line is not getting that much pressure the past 3 or 4 weeks... but that is a little disappointing and I was the biggest Shaq fan going, I had a top 10 grade on him coming out.  

He isn't a bust.... but on this pace he IS a disappointing 1st round pick.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And that was always what I thought he was drafted as, but through 8 games this year (he has played in 7) he has 2 sacks.  Now i know the whole D-Line is not getting that much pressure the past 3 or 4 weeks... but that is a little disappointing and I was the biggest Shaq fan going, I had a top 10 grade on him coming out.  

He isn't a bust.... but on this pace he IS a disappointing 1st round pick.  

I wonder if some of it is responsibilities in this defense? A lot of times he seems like he is getting to a spot versus trying to get after it. I also think he may be a little heavy right now as well. He doesn't have that same twitch he had at Clemson and he also doesn't look as quick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I wonder if some of it is responsibilities in this defense? A lot of times he seems like he is getting to a spot versus trying to get after it. I also think he may be a little heavy right now as well. He doesn't have that same twitch he had at Clemson and he also doesn't look as quick. 

He was never a big twitch guy.  I always saw him as someone who won with his hand work, big, heavy, violent hands.  I think some of it is absolutely his role on the defense, and as I say, the D-Line in general is not generating loads of rush at the moment.  But Shaq has to do a better job.  Through the first 3 I think his numbers were 2 sacks and 5 pressures.... I've not seen the numbers on pressures since week 3 but it is 0 sacks and I can't remember too many pressures in all honesty.  I think there was 1 against Oakland but that might be it.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

?

Where did the narrative appear that Shaq wasn't drafted as a pass rusher? 

Because he sucks at it he wasn't drafted for that? Who drafts a DE in the first round who can't rush the passer?

Well, that's what the scouting reports said when he was drafted; here's just one (from NFL.com):

Productive backup for two years before putting together an All­-American season in his first year as a full- time starter. Lawson is built like a full­-grown man and combines his instincts, toughness and power to fill up a stat sheet and set an early tone. Lawson's frame and game are easily translatable to the NFL, but his average athleticism and pass rush skills will likely have teams viewing him as a 3­-4 edge setter or a 4-­3 base end. Lawson may also have value as 3­-4 defensive tackle in an upfield scheme.

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If you add losing a season out of the gate to lack of consistent pass rush— it’ll be hard for him to be great value unless he steps up his game. I wouldn’t say full on bust if he can be really excellent situationally though.

Yep. Shaq was supposed to be a great defensive piece to make up for that shoulder surgery. He's looked like an average NFLer instead of a top DE.