L.Coles traded to Jets 4 S.Moss

Coles never struck me as a stud WR. He seems better than some WRs, but Clements will shut him down easily.

I actually thought Nate had more trouble covering Santana Moss because Moss had deep speed that really pushed Clements sometimes...but now that Coles is back and Moss is gone, Clements can easily take care of him.

explain. why is that a dumb trade for the jets?

I had Santana Moss on my fantasy team and followed him closely... he sucks. Jets just improved themselves, maybe considerably, at WR.

Coles wanted to get out of Washington badly, so the Skins had no chance of getting equal value, and they didn't.

Coles never struck me as a stud WR.  He seems better than some WRs, but Clements will shut him down easily.

I actually thought Nate had more trouble covering Santana Moss because Moss had deep speed that really pushed Clements sometimes...but now that Coles is back and Moss is gone, Clements can easily take care of him.

264117[/snapback]

Let's just hope TDs plan involves keeping nate :angry:

i think this is a horrible trade for the skins. it shows that their guy vinny cerrato is still an idiot. every offseason they make a million moves and they never pan out.

LColes is a smart, smart receiver with GREAT hands. He knows how to get open. He's quicker than fast but can get open deep. SMoss is a quick, fast, underachiever. He doesn't have the same level of game savvy. He doesn't get open as often, and his hands aren't as good.

The Jets just picked their pocket.

The Jets definitely got the better end of this deal. While I dont consider Coles an elite receiver...he is better than Moss. Moss could only run really fast in a straight line...balls would bounce off his helmet or off his chest all the time. At least Coles has great hands and can make the plays when called upon.

Redskins are looking at yet another losing season.

I think the Jets got the better end of this, but really it's mostly a wash.  I can't understand why they're spending so much time (and $$) going after WRs this offseason - that wasn't their problem last year, it was their secondary, OLBs, and special teams.

264155[/snapback]

Their wideouts were very pedestrian if not a weakness... this move makes them more potent on offense

Why would the Jets help Washington with their Salary Cap? Coles was due a big roster bonus on April 2nd. Anyways, their stats are pretty similar, it's like trading for the same guy. The Jets moves have been very curious so far. They have lost more than they have gained.

Why would the Jets help Washington with their Salary Cap? Coles was due a big roster bonus on April 2nd. Anyways, their stats are pretty similar, it's like trading for the same guy. The Jets moves have been very curious so far. They have lost more than they have gained.

264203[/snapback]

The 'skins will still have Coles counting against their cap this year. Whatever bonus money was left (cap-wise) accelerates to this year and counts toward the overall cap number. The Jets are only responsible for his base salary for however many years are left on the contract.

(in the voice of Bill Walton)....this trade is HORRIBLE...TERRIBLE...AWFUL...

The Jets lost their top kick/punt returner and deep threat receiver. Plus they took on a huge contract for a good, but not great receiver.

Im happy about the trade. The Bills always had a problem covering Moss.

1st off....

Santana Moss does not "suck" he was just not a good fit for the west coast offense the jets were running. 103 of Penningtons 242 completions were to his rb's 31 to his te's. that means only 106 passes were spread out to his wr's. Santana Moss being the beneficiary of only 45 of those 106 passes. still racked up 838 yards an 18.6 average and 5 td's.

Moss also had his best games when pennington went down and the jets had no choice but to put an emphasis on the vertical passing game which is moss's strong suit. great run after catch ability and the speed to get open deep and quickly. It doesn't suprise me that moss had his best season in 2003 when testaverde was the starting qb due to penningtons injury. I look for moss to have a similar season like that in washington as ramsey will get the ball to him deep.

Laveranues Coles is a good wr. He fits in just about any offense. He's a better wr for the west coast system. A little better route runner than santana moss makes him a better fit.

The thing I don't get is The Jets new o coordinator Mike Heimerdinger likes to throw the ball a lot and likes to throw it deep, which I think moss is better at than coles. With that said I expect moss to have a better season with the redskins this year than coles with the jets

The 'skins will still have Coles counting against their cap this year. Whatever bonus money was left (cap-wise) accelerates to this year and counts toward the overall cap number. The Jets are only responsible for his base salary for however many years are left on the contract.

264205[/snapback]

the Redskins' seven-year, $35 million offer -- including a $13 million bonus

so the skins take a 11 mil cap hit on this trade (assuming the bonus was amoritized over the 7 years of the K)? thats is huge - how can they afford that?

and the jets get a good wr for 6 years at only about 3.5 per year? thats a great deal for the jets. coles has to be considered equal to moulds at this stage of moulds' career - and we pay moulds 5 mil a year.

im beginning to think td isnt is great as many people think at this cap thing.

the Redskins' seven-year, $35 million offer -- including a $13 million bonus

so the skins take a 11 mil cap hit on this trade (assuming the bonus was amoritized over the 7 years of the K)? thats is huge - how can they afford that?

and the jets get a good wr for 6 years at only about 3.5 per year? thats a great deal for the jets.  coles has to be considered equal to moulds at this stage of moulds' career - and we pay moulds 5 mil a year.

im beginning to think td isnt is great as many people think at this cap thing.

264216[/snapback]

Yep, that's my understanding of how it works.....could be wrong, but pretty sure it's accurate.

What does this have to do with TD, by the way? You can't really take away a third of Coles' cap hit just because another team picks up the tab on it and then compare it to Moulds' entire cap hit, bro lol