As Predicted, Brian Hoyer to the Patriots

Why wouldn't Hoyer chose the pats? He could start the rest of the year for the Packers and then be back on the unemployment line next year where he's probably fighting for a starter job or starting for a garbage team again. Or he could sign in NE where he looked good, get paid to back up Brady and have a chance of a at being part of a championship team again.

He may be at a point where he is realizing giant going to make it as a full time starter and is happy taking a backup role where he would be comfortable?

If anything, he might regret passing on the Bills and taking the 49ers job....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't Hoyer chose the pats? He could start the rest of the year for the Packers and then be back on the unemployment line next year where he's probably fighting for a starter job or starting for a garbage team again. Or he could sign in NE where he looked good, get paid to back up Brady and have a chance of a at being part of a championship team again.

He may be at a point where he is realizing giant going to make it as a full time starter and is happy taking a backup role where he would be comfortable?

If anything, he might regret passing on the Bills and taking the 49ers job....

Because he would be selling his soul to the devil? I know he was there before but he was drafted by them.

If you're a competitor you want to play. There is a decent chance if he signs for three years and is on their roster for let's say, two, he never plays a regular season game again in his life. I think I would want to play rather than get a Rob Johnson Super Bowl ring.

True, if you are a lefty you have a much better chance of making it too and as a reliever you are barely out there long enough to break a sweat. Another way to make it would be as a knuckleballer. My brother played D1 and the coach told him his best chance to go pro would be to change his delivery to a side arm submariner or to perfect his knuckleball.

Another good career option is NFL long snapper. If you are a big guy just work on long snapping all day every day. Every team needs one, minimal football talent needed. Snap it and just get in someone's way. Worst case you could at least get a free college scholarship out of it. Best case you make millions at the pro level. However 1 bad snap could end your career so there is a lot of pressure!

For me it's backup Nhl Goaltender.

Get to sit around in all the gear on the bench and open and close the door for guys. Occasionally you get to play against some of the bad teams and no one really expects much from you cause your the backup. 3rd string QB is pretty good if the team carries one, and lefty reliever is a good one too but there's pressure there.

Because he would be selling his soul to the devil? I know he was there before but he was drafted by them.

If you're a competitor you want to play. There is a decent chance if he signs for three years and is on their roster for let's say, two, he never plays a regular season game again in his life. I think I would want to play rather than get a Rob Johnson Super Bowl ring.

unfortunately, not everyone sees tbhem as the devil

And he has had a career and been a failed starter, some guys reach a point where they realise what they are and are happy to take the backup roll just to continue to be in the league. Getting a 3 year deal to sit behind Brady is a pretty good spot instead of playing out this season in GB then an unknown future. At least in NE last time he looked good, so he can go there and will still get garbage time fill in to get on the field unless Brady is hurt.

They went from the one the best QB situations in the NFL to one hit away from being one of the worst. I still cant believe they gave up their insurance policy for a second and hoyer.

Hoyer was starting for a terrible 49ers team most of the year and actually played fairly well.

You can argue he immediately becomes the best backup QB in the league now given the circumstances but obviously the Pats are hoping they don't have to see him play anything more than garbage time.

I agree with what you said. I am still surprised an NFL QB passed up a starting job for a back-up job.

Some QB's just know their place/ceiling. Hoyer probably stays for all 3 years in NE now.

Like Todd Collins. Steve Deberg. Vinny Testeverde, etc etc.......even George Blanda.

Personally I am betting on myself and I go to Packers if they wanted me.

Edited by cba fan

Some QB's just know their place/ceiling. Hoyer probably stays for all 3 years in NE now.

Like Todd Collins. Steve Deberg. Vinny Testeverde, etc etc.......even George Blanda.

That's what I'm saying, why not bet on yourself? I guess he could think he doesn't have it anymore, but that's a quick turnaround from agreeing to go to SF to be a starting NFL QB for 2017.

That's where I'm at. Green Bay has a really good set of weapons on the offensive side of the ball. If Hoyer showed any promise while in Green and put up good numbers he could've earned himself a contract like Mike Glennon to the be the bridge.

That could easily have been a condition of the trade.

What I don't know about this process...and maybe you do: can the Pats* and Niners talk to Hoyer about what they're doing before it's done, and get Hoyer to agree to hold off until the deal is done, then go the Pats*?

I don't think so, but perhaps it wouldn't surprise me even if they couldn't do it.

Gotta think there's a lot of inside baseball that we never see or hear.

I'm sure they could have released a back end of the roster guy and got a pick for Hoyer. I smell collusion

I agree but don't think it's illegal to do. I would think Billacheat/SF already had him ready to sign In NE before the trade even happened so that way they are not left without a viable backup this year and he has a job already setup with a free ride to the playoffs. Odd he refused any other teams talks and went directly to NE, I'd say he already had his NE contract set up before release. Edited by xRUSHx

What I don't know about this process...and maybe you do: can the Pats* and Niners talk to Hoyer about what they're doing before it's done, and get Hoyer to agree to hold off until the deal is done, then go the Pats*?

I don't think so, but perhaps it wouldn't surprise me even if they couldn't do it.

Gotta think there's a lot of inside baseball that we never see or hear.

I agree there is a lot of inside baseball and rule breaking going on concerning this. You're not allowed to negotiate a contract with a player under contract with another team. But the Niners could have given permission for Hoyer's agent to work out a deal with the Pats before the trade was made. That would be allowed. The Pats could also make it a condition of the trade informally I'm pretty sure. They can say if you release him we will make this deal. And both teams agree. I suppose the Niners could legally renege on that and there wouldn't be anything the Pats could do legally. But I doubt the Niners would do that, and like Beane said said about trades, word would get around you're not an honest broker.

That's where I'm at. Green Bay has a really good set of weapons on the offensive side of the ball. If Hoyer showed any promise while in Green and put up good numbers he could've earned himself a contract like Mike Glennon to the be the bridge.

I can see why some folks would think that but the Packers overall probably weren't good enough to win a SB this year even with Rogers healthy. They had a very good chance of getting there though in a watered down NFC conference.

That's why I credit Hoyer for being unselfish and picking the better option to win a championship via backup to Brady on the Pats because still not sure there is a team in either conference that will seriously challenge them this year.

and if he doesn't he is out of the league. He has had a chance at being a starter in a few spots, a few good weeks for the Packers isn't going to greatly change anyone's opinion on him, and that's even if he was able to start in GB over Hundley. He will probably need a few weeks to learn the playbook and then if they decide to make the switch cause Hundley isn't good enough he will have a few games to play out of his mind to change opinions

I agree there is a lot of inside baseball and rule breaking going on concerning this. You're not allowed to negotiate a contract with a player under contract with another team. But the Niners could have given permission for Hoyer's agent to work out a deal with the Pats before the trade was made. That would be allowed. The Pats could also make it a condition of the trade informally I'm pretty sure. They can say if you release him we will make this deal. And both teams agree. I suppose the Niners could legally renege on that and there wouldn't be anything the Pats could do legally. But I doubt the Niners would do that, and like Beane said said about trades, word would get around you're not an honest broker.

Hoyer was originally included in the deal, but his name was withdrawn at the Patriots request I'm sure. They of course worked a back door deal, but it really wound up being the same since Hoyer had the ability to choose his next destination as a vested vet who was released before the trade deadline.

Technically that's all above board.