As Predicted, Brian Hoyer to the Patriots

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Packers might be invested in Hundley's development, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't start Hoyer this year to try and make a run. They are at 4-3 still and lost the last 2 with Hundley putting up garbage stat lines. Clearly, the situation as back-up to Brady is stable, but I would think a guy would go for a starting job over a back-up job.

He knows the staff in NE and he got a three year deal. Good decision for him.

Just don't see the Patriots* viewing Hoyer as their heir apparent to Brady. Re: the bold, where are you talking about?

You were talking about going to the Packers. It would be a part time job (if they let him play over Hundley) until Rodgers returned.

Edited by The Wiz

You were talking about going to the Packers. It would be a part time job (if they let him play over Hundley) until Rodgers returned.

Right, I would think a starting job for 9+ weeks would be more enticing. And I made the assumption that Hoyer, even though unspectacular this year, would start over Hundley who has put up some gaudy numbers. Maybe the Packers want to use this year to see what they have in Hundley, but that makes me question why they would even try to nab him. I just seriously doubt it was to be a back-up to Hundley.

In my next life I want to be a mildly talented NFL backup QB. You make bank without playing, when you do play you can be terrible and people say oh he's just the backup, and then when they cut you another team takes you because you have game experience and they don't care if it was good or bad. What a job!

So did the 49ers release him before the trade deadline, and therefore he didn't have to go through waivers? The change from vested veterans able to sign anywhere before the deadline didn't start yet? Was that the case? Otherwise it doesn't make sense that the Packers tried to steal him and couldn't. They could have put in a waiver claim.

So did the 49ers release him before the trade deadline, and therefore he didn't have to go through waivers? The change from vested veterans able to sign anywhere before the deadline didn't start yet? Was that the case? Otherwise it doesn't make sense that the Packers tried to steal him and couldn't. They could have put in a waiver claim.

Apparently he was released once the deal for Garropolo went through so he was released before the deadline. Which is a ballsy move to release your player before the deadline and the physical of the player you just got.

Edited by The Wiz

In my next life I want to be a mildly talented NFL backup QB. You make bank without playing, when you do play you can be terrible and people say oh he's just the backup, and then when they cut you another team takes you because you have game experience and they don't care if it was good or bad. What a job!

left-handed relief pitcher in the majors

So Gilmore being awful is 5-D chess?

Belichik is an evil genius but obviously he's made mistakes. The jury is still out on the Gilmore deal but early returns indicate it was a bad move especially since the Pats defense has looked great without him in recent weeks.

One thing you have to remember though, Belichik isn't afraid of cutting ties and admitting failure so if Gilmore doesn't play better when he's healthy he'll simply be cut or traded in the offseason.

Apparently he was released once the deal for Garropolo went through so he was released before the deadline. Which is a ballsy move to release your player before the deadline and the physical of the player you just got.

Got it. Thanks. Smart move by Pats convincing them to do it. Although unless there was an injury to Hoyer for sure he was going to pass their physical.

Although it begs the question, and granted I'm not in favor of this kind of nitpicking, but isn't it kind of mini cheating by the maxi-cheat Cheatriots? They would have had to known Hoyer was going to sign with them, which would have been while he was under contract to the Niners. I guess the Niners could have given them permission to negotiate with him.

I'm sure they could have released a back end of the roster guy and got a pick for Hoyer. I smell collusion

Hoyer was initially offered in the package with a lower Pick. NE said no. So SF took Hoyer out of the package and elevated the pick.

Lynch is just an idiot for not seeing if there was any interest in Hoyer

Edited by MAJBobby

left-handed relief pitcher in the majors

True, if you are a lefty you have a much better chance of making it too and as a reliever you are barely out there long enough to break a sweat. Another way to make it would be as a knuckleballer. My brother played D1 and the coach told him his best chance to go pro would be to change his delivery to a side arm submariner or to perfect his knuckleball.

Another good career option is NFL long snapper. If you are a big guy just work on long snapping all day every day. Every team needs one, minimal football talent needed. Snap it and just get in someone's way. Worst case you could at least get a free college scholarship out of it. Best case you make millions at the pro level. However 1 bad snap could end your career so there is a lot of pressure!