Week 9: Jets' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

If the Bills lose this game I'm going to write them off as a playoff contender. This is the sort of game that a playoff team has to win. You simply can't lose to an inferior Jets team whose season is going off of the rails. Good teams beat up on bad teams like this, whether at home or on the road. The Bills haven't started 6-2 in over two decades, and they went from 5-2 to 5-3 twice in the last decade.

Keep in mind that at home, we beat the Jets by 9 in a game that was relatively close most of the time. It's not like the Bills were up 20 most of the game and the Jets just scored a bunch in garbage time - that game wasn't over until pretty late. And teams generally play better at home and worse on the road. If we're 9 points better than the Jets at home, we're probably only 3 points better than them on the road. And that's a very slim margin to count on a win.

Having said that, I'm still basically waiting for the other shoe to drop on this season, and losing tonight would be a very classic Bills way to kick that off. This is the first of 3 winnable but not easy games (@NYJ, Saints, @Chargers), followed by 2 "if we win it's a big upset" games (@KC, Patriots). If we don't win at least 2 of the first 3, we'll need to seriously overperform in the harder games to have a shot at the playoffs. But upsets do happen.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i would because losing to a bad jets team proves that they're a bad road team. You can't go 2-6 on the road or worse and make the playoffs. They have to win this game.

The Jets have been playing hard, but make no mistake: they are a bad, low-talent team. Playoff teams can't lose these games.

My problem is you never know what you are gonna get with the Jets. They are a wildcard right now. Granted they have lost their last 3 they pretty much beat themselves. Should have beat NE with that crazy fumble touchback call. Up 14 on miami and get 17 points hung on them in the 4th and handed the game to the falcons on a dropped punt.

Limit our mistakes and take advantage of theirs.

Keep in mind that at home, we beat the Jets by 9 in a game that was relatively close most of the time. It's not like the Bills were up 20 most of the game and the Jets just scored a bunch in garbage time - that game wasn't over until pretty late. And teams generally play better at home and worse on the road. If we're 9 points better than the Jets at home, we're probably only 3 points better than them on the road. And that's a very slim margin to count on a win.

Having said that, I'm still basically waiting for the other shoe to drop on this season, and losing tonight would be a very classic Bills way to kick that off. This is the first of 3 winnable but not easy games (@NYJ, Saints, @Chargers), followed by 2 "if we win it's a big upset" games (@KC, Patriots). If we don't win at least 2 of the first 3, we'll need to seriously overperform in the harder games to have a shot at the playoffs. But upsets do happen.

yeah, but the Bills should have scored 31 - a dropped TD pass by Clay that turned into an INT plus a missed FG. The Bills pretty much dominated in that game.

My problem is you never know what you are gonna get with the Jets. They are a wildcard right now. Granted they have lost their last 3 they pretty much beat themselves. Should have beat NE with that crazy fumble touchback call. Up 14 on miami and get 17 points hung on them in the 4th and handed the game to the falcons on a dropped punt.

Limit our mistakes and take advantage of theirs.

Agreed. That said, they are not talented overall. If Wilkerson (a Bills killer) can't go, that's great for the Bills. They simply can't lose to a Jets team without Mo Wilkerson.

yeah, i would because losing to a bad jets team proves that they're a bad road team. You can't go 2-6 on the road or worse and make the playoffs. They have to win this game.

The Jets have been playing hard, but make no mistake: they are a bad, low-talent team. Playoff teams can't lose these games.

Dave...please let me understand your logic. Who is going 2-6 on the road?

Does beating Atlanta at home prove we are a good road team?

Playoff and Super Bowl teams lose all the time in games they are supposed to win. Only two teams have ever went 16-0.

I would say the game was never really that close. We should have had a TD on that first drive and a FG on a flukey miss by Hausch money.

Both teams have outperformed expectations, but are trending in opposite directions over the past few weeks. Jets aren't closing out games and we are, etc.

That being said, they are still playing tough and no game is ever a gimme. If we lose it would be a disappointment, but not one that indicates we aren't ready for playoffs on its own.

yeah, but the Bills should have scored 31 - a dropped TD pass by Clay that turned into an INT plus a missed FG. The Bills pretty much dominated in that game.

Agreed. That said, they are not talented overall. If Wilkerson (a Bills killer) can't go, that's great for the Bills. They simply can't lose to a Jets team without Mo Wilkerson.

Well the inactives should be coming out in a bit. I think they usually come out sometime between 4-5 for TNF.

I'm calling it right now. If they lose this game they will not make the playoffs. You can give me all the scenarios you want to, but history tells me if they can't beat the Jets here they will begin to crash and burn. So for goodness sake win tonight!!!

These takes make me laugh. Why set yourself up for this? The reality is, if they lose this game it counts as an L. It doesn't count any more, or any less than a loss versus the Patriots or Chiefs. It doesn't have any other larger meaning in the playoff race - it is what it is, a loss to a division opponent. Not good, but by no means crippling. Just about every year, good teams lose to teams they have no business losing to.

It's the NFL. It's hard to win.

-Dick Jauron

Week 9 Game Picks: Same Old Bills? Not So Fast!

Elliot Harrison went 10-3 on his predictions for Week 8, giving him a record of 71-48 thus far this season. How will he fare in Week 9? His picks are below:

Buffalo Bills 23, New York Jets 17

Thursday, 8:25 p.m. ET, NFL Network

As mentioned in the Power Rankings earlier this week, the Bills have really laid a few eggs against the Jets in the past. This Buffalo team seems different, starting with the leadership -- Sean McDermott looks like as strong a Coach of the Year candidate as any head man in the league. Who else would you take? While New York should provide Josh McCown with enough time to throw, Buffalo's secondary has played much better than anyone anticipated in the preseason. They give up tons of yards (ranking 29th in the NFL in passing yards allowed) but hardly any touchdowns (tied for second in passing TDs allowed) and they pick the ball off (second in interceptions). McCown has thrown two or more touchdowns in four straight games. The last time a Jets quarterback pulled that off: 1999. Ray Lucas was the man then, because this happened ...

I'm calling it right now. If they lose this game they will not make the playoffs. You can give me all the scenarios you want to, but history tells me if they can't beat the Jets here they will begin to crash and burn. So for goodness sake win tonight!!!

History is wrong.

I do think we win tonight though.

Dave...please let me understand your logic. Who is going 2-6 on the road?

Does beating Atlanta at home prove we are a good road team?

Playoff and Super Bowl teams lose all the time in games they are supposed to win. Only two teams have ever went 16-0.

1-3 x 2 = 2-6. They still have to play NE and KC on the road. Those are guaranteed losses.

I don't expect that the Bills will go 8-0 at home. 9-7 will not get them in, most likely.

Edited by dave mcbride

Guaranteed losses huh? The NFL, especially this year, has guaranteed losses and wins?

If we are playing the odds, they're heavily against us. Better to win these easy ones than have to worry about winning those ones later.

9-7 could get you in, actually. Lots of teams beating each other up and some teams previously considered contenders are spiraling. Still wanna see this team put up 10+

If we are playing the odds, they're heavily against us. Better to win these easy ones than have to worry about winning those ones later.

9-7 could get you in, actually. Lots of teams beating each other up and some teams previously considered contenders are spiraling. Still wanna see this team put up 10+

Beat the Chargers and Colts and sweep The Dolphins and Jets - there are your 10 wins.