Schopp: Taylor is better than you think.

JM2009

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is false. Watch the All-22.

Tyrod pumpers can't make a case for him without disparaging his teammates. It's unfortunate.

You complained about his passing, and then said he has a great running back with him. Your second point was saying the line was considered good in the two previous years. They were considered very good run blockers and rather lousy pass blockers. Your third point was Matthews, who is a very decent possession receiver and that's it.

Tyrod had a very good game yesterday and we scored 34 points. We scored 30 last week. Yes we had a lot of turnovers but the coaches are also instructing him to not make mistakes, don't force the ball, let's get three here and take a two or three score lead to help ensure a win not get more passing yards. Let's run the ball down their throats in the second half and run the clock not get more passing yards.

Turnover differential correlates with playoffs more than any other stat, yet you dont include any turnover stat here. Ill trade you DYAR for DVOA, add in INT%, and instead of passing yards make it total yards. Hows that Mr. Advocate ;)

Actually DYAR, passer rating and ANY/A all take interceptions into account.

Wayne Arnold's post, in it's entirety :

Taylor is currently 29th in the league in passing yards per game. Only five quarterbacks who have started a game this season averages less than 165 yards per game: Deshone Kizer (rookie), CJ Beathard (rookie), Joe Flacco, Kevin Hogan and Mitch Trubisky (rookie).

You start off by mentioning Taylor's season average in yards per game. Then you switch to his yardage in yesterday's game to compare to other quarterback's - yep - season average per game.

Mind you, as sleight-of-hand goes it was very cleverly done. But if Taylor is as gawd-awful as you claim, why bother with such tricks?

The two posts before my reply...

I think you left out / glossed over / failed to mention --- 165 yds passing...

The odds are highly against winning too many more games with that kind of performance...

And then...

Clearly you haven't been paying attention to the league this year.

The poster I replied to seemed to be implying that passing for 165 yards is the norm this season. Hence why I used that number.

Get it now?

BTW I've never claimed Taylor to be "gawd-awful". I just want the Bills to win the Super Bowl, so my expectations are perhaps higher than most folks.

The two posts before my reply...

I think you left out / glossed over / failed to mention --- 165 yds passing...

The odds are highly against winning too many more games with that kind of performance...

And then...

Clearly you haven't been paying attention to the league this year.

The poster I replied to seemed to be implying that passing for 165 yards is the norm this season. Hence why I used that number.

Get it now?

BTW I've never claimed Taylor to be "gawd-awful". I just want the Bills to win the Super Bowl, so my expectations are perhaps higher than most folks.

No. I implied that teams are winning with less than 200 passing yards more this year than I can remember. I said nothing about season averages. Individual games.

Taylor has always been "part of" our wins, just like he's part of our losses as well.

Star studded cast..... Who Sammy? Hasn't it been proven we do not need Sammy? I believe it has.

on the side - What is it with the EJ comments today? The kid is long gone and has nothing to do with this team.

BTW ... did he rush / run 7 times yesterday? Trying to keep up with that stat.

I agree

I'm saying we don't have any stars, other than Shady, so that makes our offense a little more impressive to me.

I just brought up EJ because he was our last QB. I don't feel we have the same success with him. I guess I could have said Orton. I think Orton maybe 50/50 not sure.

Tyrod had 6 rushes on the stat sheet against Oakland. It was his worst ever actually. He is credited with 1 yard and a TD.

To say that TT has more time to throw because the OL does such a good job of protecting him is straight jacket material.

The O Line protection was pretty good yesterday.

FWIW I did see a few plays where Tyrod could have gone to a different receiver of better results (non drop or yardage) But that happens in every game with most every QB

You know where Wilson ranked at yards/game the year Seattle won the SuperBowl? 32nd with 209. You know what they lead the league in? Turnover differential with +20.

You know where Wilson ranked at yards/game the next year when Seattle went back to the Superbowl? 27th with 203. You know where they ranked in turnover differential? 4th with +10. 2 shy of 2nd place. You know who was in second place? New England.

You know what Seattle hasn't done since Wilson started getting high passing yards per game? They haven't won a divisional playoff game.

I'd be a little more forgiving of Taylor for his low passing yards per game ranking if he had the same efficiency as Wilson in other throwing statistics.

Wilson 2013
Passer Rating - 6
DYAR - 9
Yards/game - 26
ANY/A - 6
QBR - 6
Average - 10.6
Wilson 2014
Passer Rating - 9
DYAR - 13
Yards/Game - 22
ANY/Y - 9
QBR - 6
Average - 11.8
Taylor 2017
Passer Rating - 11
DYAR - 19
Yards/game - 29
ANY/A - 19
QBR - 17
Average - 19.0

I'm very interested to know what the Seahawks' record is in games where Wilson is required to throw the league average number of pass attempts.

I agree

I'm saying we don't have any stars, other than Shady, so that makes our offense a little more impressive to me.

I just brought up EJ because he was our last QB. I don't feel we have the same success with him. I guess I could have said Orton. I think Orton maybe 50/50 not sure.

Tyrod had 6 rushes on the stat sheet against Oakland. It was his worst ever actually. He is credited with 1 yard and a TD.

slow on the uptake. Got it that time. :thumbsup:

You mean TD "then fumble"? :w00t:

Man that irked me when the commercial break was late and I missed the live play and heard Shady tackled for a LOSS!!!!

I agree

2 of those 6 rushes were kneeldowns to end the game (-2 and -1 yard respectively).

Wow, someone, other than his coach (and maybe his agent), actually went over film/replays to determine the percentage of plays Darius was double teamed...?

Yeah, I actually found an article that tracked it not me lol. Had a debate going in the boo hoo we traded Dareus thread.

This is false. Watch the All-22.

Tyrod pumpers can't make a case for him without disparaging his teammates. It's unfortunate.

Ok I will make this case...

Taylor currently ranks 12th in completion % among QBs with at least 100 passes this year. He is 0.9% away from being in the top 5 where Tom freaking Brady currently resides. Taylor isn't missing throws any more than anyone else in the league and most of those guys have better receiving talent around them.

Taylor might not be getting the /drool 300+ yards other QBs are getting, but he also isn't getting the attempts those same guys are getting. What Taylor IS doing is making the most of his attempts and making plays when the team needs, all the while not turning over the football like a lot of those guys are. Those guys wouldn't need to pass the ball for that many attempts and the /drool 300+ yards either if they weren't turning over the football.

In closing... sure, you could piss and moan and be nitpicky about the 2 or 3 passes he could have made, but didn't... but that's true of just about every QB in the NFL.

Edited by Scott7975

Now list me the qbs who do this in your mind please? I'm bored with make believe hoops that TT has to jump through. Tell me what qbs in the league reach your standard.

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Russ Wilson

Kirk Cousins

Matt Ryan

Andrew Luck

Carson Wentz

Deshaun Watson

Dak Prescott

Phillip Rivers

Alex Smith

Honorable mention (Flawed or jury still out)

Matt Stafford

Derek Carr

Cam Newton

Marcus Mariota

Tyrod Taylor

Eli Manning

Jameis Winston

Andy Dalton

Regardless, hope you're ready to get your avatar changed to some big ole Tyrod lovin image :flirt:

Haha looking forward to it

slow on the uptake. Got it that time. :thumbsup:

You mean TD "then fumble"? :w00t:

Man that irked me when the commercial break was late and I missed the live play and heard Shady tackled for a LOSS!!!!

Oh it wasn't late on my TV. That would suck.

2 of those 6 rushes were kneeldowns to end the game (-2 and -1 yard respectively).

Ah that makes sense. Forgot about those.

Exactly. Because he has never shown to be a good enuf passer to be able to do that with any consistency. So for now you have to assume that if he tried he could well turn into a turnover machine. Seems to be the opinion of our coaches/ coordinator as well.

But he is not nearly as bad as his most determined critics would say. And I think I see some improvement in his play this year. Used to be that he was more one read and run. Now I think I see him keeping his head up a lot and scanning the field for receiving options when out of the pocket. That adds a dimension to his play imo. In the past I dont think he got much help from his receivers when plays broke down and maybe that has improved a bit as well. Our WR corps is much maligned and lacks a legitimate vertical threat (I dont know whether journeyman Thompson can be that guy) but Matthews, Jones and Holmes are pretty big targets and are not without skill. There is room for improvement in the passing game and who knows we may yet see it. If we do our chances of seeing the playoffs will be much better.

Great post.

I'd be a little more forgiving of Taylor for his low passing yards per game ranking if he had the same efficiency as Wilson in other throwing statistics.

Wilson 2013
Passer Rating - 6
DYAR - 9
Yards/game - 26
ANY/A - 6
QBR - 6
Average - 10.6
Wilson 2014
Passer Rating - 9
DYAR - 13
Yards/Game - 22
ANY/Y - 9
QBR - 6
Average - 11.8
Taylor 2017
Passer Rating - 11
DYAR - 19
Yards/game - 29
ANY/A - 19
QBR - 17
Average - 19.0

I'm very interested to know what the Seahawks' record is in games where Wilson is required to throw the league average number of pass attempts.

I don't really know how to respond to your post because honestly I don't know how any of those stats work. I think Taylor has been pretty efficient and effective in most of his games this year. He had a couple clunkers, but more often then not he was effective in what the team asked him to do. I guess this is where you and I disagree.

The O Line protection was pretty good yesterday.

FWIW I did see a few plays where Tyrod could have gone to a different receiver of better results (non drop or yardage) But that happens in every game with most every QB

It was pretty good at best. Taylor did his immediate escape act so effortlessly, and THEN had a ton of time on several passing attempts that it seemed like they did well. The times it looked good were mostly 3-8 or so yard passes where he dropped back, had a pocket and immediately threw over the middle but for short gains. Edited by Kelly the Dog