U.P. of Michigan

Ice bowl 67

Is Gods country! What a beautiful place to visit. I would highly recommend it for everyone! Gugny I came up with something original here haha lol. Anyways if anyone gets the chance go visit Upper Michigan. It is the Land of paradise. Anyone been there. Green Bay is 2 hours south of it.

I spent a month in Escanaba one week.

Funny story. I flew into Green Bay and then drove up. I passed quite a few places offering "pasties" which to my knowledge are small disks used to cover nipples. I'm thinking - what the hell is going on up here that i've driven past a dozen places selling nipple covers???!!!

Turns out they are pronounced past-eez, and they are small pies filled with meat and parsnips (google says rutabaga) that must be eaten with loads of ketchup. I was underwhelmed by them. They come in a half-moon shape, and the reason is so they would fit comfortably in the arm pit of miners to keep warm 'til lunch. That could only enhance the flavor of the pasties . . .

Edited by Philly McButterpants

Funny story. I flew into Green Bay and then drove up. I passed quite a few places offering "pasties" which to my knowledge are small disks used to cover nipples. I'm thinking - what the hell is going on up here that i've driven past a dozen places selling nipple covers???!!!

Turns out they are pronounced past-eez, and they are small pies filled with meat and parsnips (google says rutabaga) that must be eaten with loads of ketchup. I was underwhelmed by them. They come in a half-moon shape, and the reason is so they would fit comfortably in the arm pit of miners to keep warm 'til lunch. That could only enhance the flavor of the pasties . . .

TIL ........

Is Gods country! What a beautiful place to visit. I would highly recommend it for everyone! Gugny I came up with something original here haha lol. Anyways if anyone gets the chance go visit Upper Michigan. It is the Land of paradise. Anyone been there. Green Bay is 2 hours south of it.

Went up and camped around Munising two summers ago. Pictured Rocks area is awesome, did a kayak tour and shipwreck tour. Chapel Rock beach was a 3 mile hike each way but so worth it. The sand is like brown sugar and Superior is just an amazing cobalt color. Great pictures of the areas we went here:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2005/mich/

Need to go back because we never got out by the Porcupines or East to Whitefish point. It's about 9.5 hours from Cleveland, but always worth the long drive.

Don't go in winter, you'll freeze your pasties off.

Don't go in the winter, you'll freeze your pasties off.

Spent last July throughout the UP... National Ski Museum is in Ishpeming among many other interesting spots. Kinda BFLo-esque up there in winter. Stayed on The Keweenaw @ Copper Harbor and Houghton... Cross-sectioned the whole UP back to The Soo and then back down the west Michigan coastline.

Three Years before (2014)... Paddled the Sea Caves @ Apostle Islands (not UP, but pretty damn close in "Upper Hinter Cheeseland", Wisconsin):

That's My Daughter & I going into "The Washing Machine" when I was still a fat assed tub of lard... I was scared of getting stuck.

The winter before that... This is us walking through those same Mainland Sea Caves that we would eventuality paddle 5 months later in August (above video). Ice that year was still falling from the caves in July!

Got so many pics and videos, don't know where to begin... Know all the secret spots along the whole Southern Coast of The Big Lake & up around to the Arrowhead.

This is My Son & I skiing and doing our best "Song of Hiawatha" on a -20 degree (actual temp) day this past January in the Arrowhead of Minny... That's Gitche Gumee in the background. Sunrise "Coffee Run" over Lake Superior:

Last 5 or so winters and summers, been calling the Arrowhead to The Soo our go to vaction spot.

I would retire in a second anywhere from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie in a heartbeat. Snowbound on the Keweenaw or even @ Houghton even better. I was hoping my son would get into metals, mining, and engineering and possibly go to University in Houghton... Maybe he still will!

A friend of mine is in Bay City for a few days.

Bay City is LOWER Peninsula... Nah nah... It is in Michigan's "crook of the thumb."

;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The UP. Michigan's consolation prize. !@#$ Michigan.

Phuck the Toledo Strip. Wisconsin Territory got screwed out of its turf (now the UP).

You know how much $$$ in copper came out of the UP. Nice consolation prize.

And... The Cheeseheads got screwed out of the lucrative Chicago Portage. When Illinois became a state... They Illinois delegation in DC used slight of hand to push the Wisconsin Territory border up from where I-55 is now in Chicago to where the present WI border is today.

Wisconsin Territory=Biggest loser of all

So don't mock... Mock WI.

But... I also say: "Phuck Michigan!"

"Pure Michigan" my arse!

;-)