Joe Flacco's fall from Super Bowl MVP

section122

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/40012/joe-flaccos-fall-from-super-bowl-mvp-to-31st-ranked-passer-hits-national-stage

Interesting article ahead of tonight's game. I have been saying for a while now that Tyrod is better than Flacco. He has been pretty bad the last few years and it has gone on for long enough to not be a coincidence.

From the article:

From the start of the 2013 season to the end of last season, Flacco had thrown the second-most interceptions in the NFL (trailing only Eli Manning) and ranked 36th in passer rating.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco ranks 26th or worse in six of seven major passing categories:

CATEGORY NO. RANKING

Passing yards 1,189 28th

Comp pct. 63.8 14th

Yards per attempt 5.3 32nd

TDs 5 26th

INTs 8 28th

Rating 70.0 31st

Total QBR 30.0 30th

I think the Ravens would have been better served going with Tyrod although I know why they didn't. It would have been impossible to move on from him right after a super bowl. However I think he is paying the price for his salary which weakened the team around him. Time to remove him from the "franchise qb" list and move him over to Brad Johnson territory?

Edited by section122

Sounds like he mentally isn’t into the game. As much as I hate the Cheats and Brady I do admire him for his drive and mental toughness.

....and the duration of his drive and toughness is remarkable......AND still driving.......not bad for a 6th.....sure as hell is not the money....................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If Brady was really smart he would have retired long ago to save his brain from repetitive brain injury.

His spouse makes more than he does and he could focus on his health promotional business. So like you said he does not need the money from NFL.

Edited by cba fan

If Brady was really smart he would have retired long ago to save his brain from repetitive brain injury.

His spouse makes more than he does and he could focus on his health promotional business. So like you said he does not need the money from NFL.

Yeah but that is the point; he's a very competitive, driven guy. I don't think people realize how competitive he is.

Tons of great players in all sports are like that. Sometimes the most talented work the hardest too.

Sounds like he mentally isn’t into the game. As much as I hate the Cheats and Brady I do admire him for his drive and mental toughness.

...so would you say that Flacco's post SB guaranteed contract restructure of 52 mil guaranteed caused him to "slap in into neutral and coast" or is it a combination of failures between Ozzie and Harbaugh relative to supporting cast and/or coaching?...just curious on your assessment...thanks...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

You can add Baltimore to the list of teams that are likely to consider drafting a qb with a high pick. What's surprising about Baltimore's drop to the bottom is that they have one of the best GMs in the game in Ozzie Newsome. The Ravens have been consistently good for a long time. What's clear is that when you don't have good qbing your team is going to struggle. I'm not placing all the blame on the qb situation because they also have other major issues on offense. But it is clearly a major factor in the team's decline.

Here is the thing I've been saying all along. Flacco has never been a great QB in the regular season. He is typically average to below average. He will never get a team to the playoffs by himself. However, when he got to the playoffs he turned into Superman for about 4 or 5 years. Thats what earned him the contract, not his regular season play which has been middling.

People who think he was some elite QB are just so far off base its laughable. He never was anything close to an elite QB other than in the playoffs those few years

My take is that Joe Flacco has regressed in recent years. He was never elite but he was a franchise Quarterback. What made him a franchise Quarterback was never his numbers... it was his play in the biggest moments. In the years between his rookie year and his Superbowl year he had a brilliant ability to play his best when the game was on the line. A lot of fans noticed it in the playoffs... and there is certainly an argument that is where he played his best football.... but he made clutch plays in the regular season as well. That was just who he was. He has taken a beating in recent yeara behind Juan Castillo's putrid offensive lines and it does seem to have affected him mentally. I'm not sure whether he is quite as unflappable as he once was or whether he still has that drive to climb back to the top of the mountain.

As for whether his contract has hamstrung the Ravens? Not really is my answer. What has hurt their competitiveness. The thing that has hurt their competitiveness is the same thing that hurts almost any team in the NFL.... they have drafted poorly. Here is a list of their 1st and 2nd round draft picks since the Joe Flacco / Ray Rice year:

Michael Oher

Paul Kruger

Sergio Kindle

Terrance Cody

Jimmy Smith

Torrey Smith

Courtney Upshaw

Kelechi Osemele

Matt Elam

Arthur Brown

CJ Mosely

Timmy Jernigan

Breshad Perriman

Maxx Williams

Ronnie Stanley

Kamalei Correa

Marlon Humphrey

Tyus Bowser

Not many successes among that list are there? And they let Osemele who was one of them walk! The Ravens won the Superbowl with a veteran roster and a lot of old guys. Their rebuild has not been well executed, and I say that as a big Ossie Newsome fan over the years.

When you look at their secondary last night what you notice is a lot of expensive FAs. The Ravens had always tried to stay away from big FA signings in their model... it has become a necessity because they drafted poorly.