Facebook logins

SDS

Not sure if people follow this. The FB login doesn't mean you login and use your name, but just that it speeds the login. I use FB to login to GoodReads for example, but no one can see my name on GoodReads.

Since the current TBD site doesn't re-challenge for login credentials almost ever, it probably won't be that much of an advantage to existing accounts. For new people, it would speed registration.

The biggest issue with using a third party credential is by doing so you allow their super cookie on your device. This allows that third party site to track subsequent actions in that session, As SDS pointed out, they follow you around the internet. If you have not taken the time to read Facebook's terms of service, or Google's for that matter - this is not a good idea. Regardless of your browsing habits.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also people generally suck and will say things on there they would never dream of in person. It's a horrible horrible place.

That's what you get here and on any message board. If you take away anonymous posting of blitzboy54, people will get more civil, not less.

The biggest issue with using a third party credential is by doing so you allow their super cookie on your device. This allows that third party site to track subsequent actions in that session, As SDS pointed out, they follow you around the internet. If you have not taken the time to read Facebook's terms of service, or Google's for that matter - this is not a good idea. Regardless of your browsing habits.

I understand it completely.

And don't care.

I get sneaker ads on Facebook after looking at Zappos, and the million other targeted ads that follow me. If I don't like it, I can opt out of the terms of service.

That's what you get here and on any message board. If you take away anonymous posting of blitzboy54, people will get more civil, not less.

I understand it completely.

And don't care.

I get sneaker ads on Facebook after looking at Zappos, and the million other targeted ads that follow me. If I don't like it, I can opt out of the terms of service.

The targeted ads are the least of your worries. By accepting that super cookie, you are allowing them to profile you and store this data in a database for an undefined amount of time and for undefined purposes. Targeted ads are all you know about.

Even Nostradamus could not foresee the possible ways this data can be used, or cross-referenced with other data.

Apple going to Face ID is the next brick in the wall. Much like fingerprint ID. Sure it is just creating a hash from datapoints, and its your hash, but you are incredibly naive if you think that is not being used to profile you.

Edited by simool

I would prefer not. Especially since anyone with an existing account would lose all their history wouldn't they. Using Facebook to log in would create a new account would it not? Or is there a way to link your Facebook to an existing account?

I would prefer not. Especially since anyone with an existing account would lose all their history wouldn't they. Using Facebook to log in would create a new account would it not? Or is there a way to link your Facebook to an existing account?

He's talking as an option not a requirement.

I quit Facebook 5 years ago and have never regretted it even once. My life is actually a tiny bit better because of it.

That's not the issue. I don't care what the Government monitors or doesn't. I am far more concerned my employer sees something they don't like then fires me for it. That is a very real "big brother" issue.

Also people generally suck and will say things on there they would never dream of in person. It's a horrible horrible place.

That's not just Facebook, it happens here all the time as well. Keyboard bravery.....one of the fastest growing social dilemmas there is. If you can't or won't say something to someones face, you shouldn't be typing it on the keyboard....at least imho.

He's talking as an option not a requirement.

Missed that earlier in the thread. As an option i don't see an issue. I'm sore there are many who don't comment on posts just because they are to lazy to create an account. Giving FB as an option may increase membership. I know I came her for at least a few years to read articles and review forums before I registered as a member.

That's not just Facebook, it happens here all the time as well. Keyboard bravery.....one of the fastest growing social dilemmas there is. If you can't or won't say something to someones face, you shouldn't be typing it on the keyboard....at least imho.

Missed that earlier in the thread. As an option i don't see an issue. I'm sore there are many who don't comment on posts just because they are to lazy to create an account. Giving FB as an option may increase membership. I know I came her for at least a few years to read articles and review forums before I registered as a member.

Taking that a step further, I tell my kids all the time: "If you are not comfortable slapping it down on Grandma's coffee table, don't put it in an electronic device."

Nope. We got enough riffraff from bbmb closing. Making it easier for ppl to come here and crap all over the site would make it worse.

Or are you saying create a secondary login option for members to use instead of their TBD login?

Either way I still kinda say no.

Also would you be capable of bans with fb login?