What Happened to the WCO we were Supposed to Run this Year?

Foxx

i don't see many tenets of the WCO being employed by the Bills offense. QB under center, 5 step drop and bam the ball will be coming out. tightends and backs out of the backfield were to be a large part of this version of the WCO. plenty of passes over the middle in the short passing game.

serious question, what happened?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dennison via Kubiak via Shanahan offense is often called a WCO but that is not really true a lot of the years. They will design variations. They will often play to their players strengths. Kubiak and Dennison had Joe Flacco one year. They didn't run the WCO. They did plan on throwing to the backs and TEs a lot, which are staples of the WCO, and up until this week Shady and Clay were the top receivers. With some QBs in Denver they ran a ton of rollouts and naked bootlegs.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

i don't see many tenets of the WCO being employed by the Bills offense. QB under center, 5 step drop and bam the ball will be coming out. tightends and backs out of the backfield were to be a large part of this version of the WCO. plenty of passes over the middle in the short passing game.

You didn't see the 2 yard out to Jordan Matthews at the end of the first half?

pass-chart_TAY764868_2017-reg-5_15074941

"tightends and backs out of the backfield were to be a large part of this version of the WCO"

receiving leaders in order...

Clay

McCoy

Matthews

O'Leary

Thompson

Edited by Scott7975

Yea Dennison has slowly ditched the timing routes because he can see they are not plays TT is comfortable making. That is encouraging. What we are left with is an odd mix of scheme, but frankly who cares?

An OC that adjusts to what his players are comfortable doing sounds like a good thing to me.

This isnt a serious question, and you know the answer.

Yea Dennison has slowly ditched the timing routes because he can see they are not plays TT is comfortable making. That is encouraging. What we are left with is an odd mix of scheme, but frankly who cares?

An OC that adjusts to what his players are comfortable doing sounds like a good thing to me.

right. i actually think Dennison is doing a good job (heck, i think all of our coaches are doing a good job). i think those calls earlier calling for his dismisal were short sighted. he as shown an ability to tailor the scheme, if one can call it that, to the personel he has. which is always a good thing. he started dong it with the run game this past week as well, finding what the linemen were adept at and working that into the fold.

i also remember all the banter about how our QB was going to excel in the WCO. obviously that is not the case and did not happen. here's hoping that Dennison and crew continue to recognize what works and going with those aspects of the game.

Edited by Foxx

right. i actually think Dennison is doing a good job (heck, i think all of our coaches are doing a good job).

I still think Castillo sucks. But I thought that long before the Bills hired him..... I think Dennison has got a bit conservative at times when we have created turnovers (I love the take a shot after a turnover approach) but generally I think he has shown flexibility and the offense is still evolving. He has very little game breaking talent to work with beyond Shady and Tyrod and yet there are some promising signs.

I think, first of all, that people get too hung up on labels, just like with defensive schemes. Just because we were expecting the Bills to now be a WCO, doesn't mean that is all that you will see. There are WCO concepts and principles that the Bills have been using, and some they haven't.

Remember all those batted Taylor passed in the preseason? Those were all quick strike throws IIRC. The coaches aren't dumb, and it seems like those have been completely eliminated from the playbook (for now, at least). Taylor's lack of height and somewhat elongated throwing motion make those quick, short throws easier for defenders on the line to get hands up and block.

In other words, there are aspects of the WCO that Taylor and the offense do not "fit" well with.

People might think this sounds crazy, but I compare the Bills offense to what KC runs, although not nearly as strong or potent. The concepts are very similar at times. The major differences are the fact that the Bills don't have a Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs play calls are far more creative (that Taiwan Jones run was something you see from the Chiefs), and they look like a finely tuned machine since they're not a group of first year coaches and mainly the same group of players. If Dennison makes it to year 3 (which, at this point, I think he should), we should see a more diverse, finely tuned offense, hopefully with another, more talented receiving weapon or two.

Also, it's still early enough in the year to assume that there are plays that are still on the shelf.

Taylor may have some limitations as it pertains to a WCO, but in general, I think the coaches have done a good job of using the talent at hand, and adjusting their scheme to fit that talent, as far as play calls goes. We've also seen some alterations to how the line is blocking on runs, as well as a more diverse selection if run calls as a result.

Let Taylor do what he is good at . That would not be pocket-timing passes. Stay the heck away from outside zone blocking for OL and the offense can put up decent numbers .

I agree with the timing passes, but why stay away from outside zone blocking? They were pretty successful there last year, and just need to focus on better blocking execution IMO.