Distant radio signals

Ice bowl 67

This last summer into the Fall I noticed when we get a huge cold or warm front passage we get distant radio signals in Wisconsin. Last week Grand Rapids, Lansing and Kalamazoo Michigan were in super strong on the FM dial. This week Milwaukee and Chicago we're in super strong. Last Summer I had a 97.5 Ontario station that came in here! You guys ever get these conditions on The FM dial?

we've had this discussion before .... was it here or BBMB? Can't recall.

I definitely get AM radio at night from Cincy, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Chicago, Boston, NYC in Northern Virginia. Well over 400 miles away.

I even recall getting Roch's 1180AM Bills Broadcast while driving home through North Carolina.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

we've had this discussion before .... was it here or BBMB? Can't recall.

I definitely get AM radio at night from Cincy, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Chicago, Boston, NYC in Northern Virginia. Well over 400 miles away.

I even recall getting Roch's 1180AM Bills Broadcast while driving home through North Carolina.

We did have one at TBD,

No lie. I was listening to our ESPN sports affiliate in Albany NY last week and I accidentally nudged the radio dial slightly and heard the following words (not verbatim but close):

"....Harry Truman ...(inaudible static)... Red China Johnny Ray...(inaudible static)... H Bomb...(inaudible static)... Panmunjam."

I'm thinking it's some kind of code from the North Koreans. Since they are well over 2000 miles away, I'd say radio signals do, indeed, carry over water.

This last summer into the Fall I noticed when we get a huge cold or warm front passage we get distant radio signals in Wisconsin. Last week Grand Rapids, Lansing and Kalamazoo Michigan were in super strong on the FM dial. This week Milwaukee and Chicago we're in super strong. Last Summer I had a 97.5 Ontario station that came in here! You guys ever get these conditions on The FM dial?

It's a phenomenon known as ducting. FM signals sometimes travel between layers of air in the atmosphere. It often happens when an area is considerably warmer and moister than the surrounding air. It happens a lot but most people don't scan the dial to notice.

It's a phenomenon known as ducting. FM signals sometimes travel between layers of air in the atmosphere. It often happens when an area is considerably warmer and moister than the surrounding air. It happens a lot but most people don't scan the dial to notice.

Your right it is called Tropospheric ducting because yesterday I was listening to a country station on 101.3. I was like where the heck is this from and the song got over and it was WMCI from Effingham Illinois area! That's like 500 miles south of here! People often think your lying when you tell them you get these signals from long distance. There is also another thing called skip on the FM dial where the warm air allows for radio signals to bounce in the atmosphere. I have gotten Texas and Florida like local stations many times this past summer. My friend told me about it and I didn't believe him either until I seen it for myself.

Edited by Ice bowl 67

I was hoping this was going to be some SETI reference involving aliens and an abduction or something.

we brought in a weirdo for a file and he was into SETI and without asking donated the firm's bandwith afterhours for SETI to use.