All the different ways to look at the defense

We got 3 turnovers tho.. that CANT be overlooked. Win the turnover battle, win the game.

I agree in part. Win the turnover battle and score points off of them, win the game. Right now the bills lead the league with a +10 turnover differential but have probably scored less than 30 points off of those turnovers (I'm looking for the stat right now to see if i can find it). If they can't take the ball away and score off of it, we will see more games like the game against cincy.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally ignore your posts, but I have to ask

Can you please give us a break?

Just stating the obvious, I'm happy with where this team is at but there are serious concerns with this defense right now and you get the sense they were truly getting by with a lot of smoke and mirrors early in the season until coaches had enough film and figured out where and how to attack them.

We have tumbled all the way down to 21st in the NFL in total yards allowed through 6 weeks and certainly are trending in the wrong direction.

Every game defensively has been very different but for the game against the Bucs specifically, our Dline wasn't getting pressure to the QB quick enough. Dareus was invisible (wasn't pushing the lineman in front of him at all and wasn't even getting double teamed from the times I decided to watch 99).

The times we DID get pressure, Winston would panic and underthrow receivers. But when he had time to throw, he torched the zone coverage. I mean he's a really good QB who scans the field very well, is accurate and has very good weapons to throw to.

The defense didn't just play against an average offense. The Bucs have MANY weapons so I would say it was because the offense we were playing against was above average and we didn't get enough pressure up front.

Unfortunately, the defense has been trending down for the last month.

Look at the progression as the season has gone along:

Points Allowed Per Game:

12, 9, 16, 17, 20, 27

Yards Per Play:

3.9, 3.9, 5.5, 5.4, 6.1, 6.4

Pass Yards Per Attempt:

4.4, 4.7, 5.9, 5.6, 8.7, 8.4

Rush Yards Per Attempt:

2.5, 2.8, 4.8, 5.1, 2.4, 2.8

In my opinion, something has been exposed in our secondary. And opponents are starting to catch on.

it is not the secondary but our LBs that opponents are exploiting. And our DT have not been able to penetrate. This defense hinges on the front 4 applying the pressure on the QB and sadly we have regressed significantly in that area, thereby exposing the secondary to the deep ball

Even good defenses have a bad day. That's a loaded offense. Team win. Offense had to score yesterday and they did.

I personally believe an offense with talented players is impossible to stop when its firing on all cylinders. The modern rules make it too easy. Winston was playing like hes supposed to be playing all the time and that offense is loaded with playmakers. The only concerning things to me were the wide open TDs. But I see that as a fluke. Two of those in one game wont happen again.

We also kept the Bucs in the game with a missed FG and a missed opportunity at the end of the half, not to mention 2 dropped picks and a fumble we didnt recover. We kept shooting ourselves in the foot and still found a way to win. What else can you really ask for? Bend but dont break should still be a winning strategy moving forward if we dont leave guys completely uncovered because of miscommunication.

I wish I could agree it was an aberration but I saw it as a carry over from the Bengals game when they torched us for 320 yards passing two weeks ago. I suspect OCs are seeing some things on tape that we’re susceptible to and taking advantage. Granted, not every team is gonna have the level of receiving talent we saw today, but it’s comcerning.

This is my concern. Football is a game of adaptation, I think there's enough film on McDermott's version of the Bills D now, OCs have adapted, now will McD figure out what they're exploiting and adapt in turn?

I also agree with ganesh that we have a significant talent drop-off between our starters and backups in the secondary, and it hurts when we lose the starters. If we want to be able to execute McWrestler's D, building talent and talented depth in the secondary is a must - it's an injury-prone position by its nature.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

The amount of confusion on the field yesterday on defense was very noticeable.

Another thing was the opponent's playcalls were chosen to perfection compared to the defense Frazier called on almost every down. It was a chess match we were losing honestly.

I don't think it has much to do with being "exploited" and more so to do with miscommunication, not getting pressure up front and the playcall. All coaches always say there's nothing really different in systems in the NFL. It all boils down to communication and execution.

Tampa did a good job with theirs on offense and we struggled on defense with ours.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

Opportunistic...that's how I'd describe our defense.

They are very obviously a "bend, don't break" defense, and clearly emphasize defending the red-zone. The idea is to take away any deep, big plays, while giving up an otherwise occupied area of the field. Teams know this, which is why we see many "easy" completions. They're taking what we give them, and that's why the Bills have given up a bunch of passing yards. But on the flip side, we play a lot of zone, and are able to keep eyes on the QB's eyes. The idea is that, eventually, either the defense is going to make a play or a stop in the red-zone, or the offense is going to falter or make a critical mistake somewhere along the way in the drive.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Just stating the obvious, I'm happy with where this team is at but there are serious concerns with this defense right now and you get the sense they were truly getting by with a lot of smoke and mirrors early in the season until coaches had enough film and figured out where and how to attack them.

We have tumbled all the way down to 21st in the NFL in total yards allowed through 6 weeks and certainly are trending in the wrong direction.

Do you think NE cares how bad they suck?

Enjoy the win and stop being so negative