Offensive penalties, and how they've affected the Bills

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/19/16496144/penalties-2017-buffalo-bills-run-game-lesean-mccoy-mike-tolbert-patrick-dimarco-tyrod-mcdermott

Good breakdown of how the Bills offense has been held back by untimely penalties on offense this year, especially in the run game, and in comparison to Rex's penalty-happy team last year.

*Excerpt*

True Yards

Ive used this term a lot in penalty recaps and I study it for a reason. Today, that reason becomes abundantly clear. This stat accounts for not only the yards assessed by the ref, but the yards impacted (like a negated run). For this dive, well be exploring the world of offensive penalties, with a major focus on offensive holding. I wont actually discuss assessed yards, as these remain mostly static based on penalty type.

IMO, Dennison's scheme isn't the problem, at least not as much as it's made out to be. Execution is. Plays have been there to be made.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Thanks for sharing. The negated runs have been the most frustrating. Seems to happen at least once a game.

Seems to happen multiple times in each game. It completely kills the rhythm and puts the offense in a hole on 2nd and 3rd downs.

IMO, Dennison's scheme isn't the problem, at least not as much as it's made out to be. Execution is. Plays have been there to be made.

Agree execution has been the biggest problem... particularly in the run game. Now I think tweaking the scheme would help as might better variety of playcalling but it comes down to technique and execution - and that is on Castillo's coaching more than Dennison's scheme in my opinion.

Only read the excerpt but it seems like a fundamentally flawed analysis like some many in football are today because no one seems to understand causality, only descriptive stats. Does he offer how many penalties caused big runs? If it's merely saying that they can add in the yards from plays were penalties negated the play, then it's useless. If a hold resulted in a longer run, then only the yards up to the hold should be included.

The idea is good, though, the execution is bad! I scream at stupid penalties more than I cheer for good plays because they drive me crazy.

Only read the excerpt but it seems like a fundamentally flawed analysis like some many in football are today because no one seems to understand causality, only descriptive stats. Does he offer how many penalties caused big runs? If it's merely saying that they can add in the yards from plays were penalties negated the play, then it's useless. If a hold resulted in a longer run, then only the yards up to the hold should be included.

The idea is good, though, the execution is bad! I scream at stupid penalties more than I cheer for good plays because they drive me crazy.

I remember at least 3 that weren't necessary. Shady was gone. It's frustrating, either way.

Most holds are ticky-tack calls. Rarely do you see a blatant hold where you say to yourself "that guy was gonna be all over the RB if he wasn't held." It's usually a good block with a little extra grabbing at the end and the DL throwing his arms up.

Good point. Stats are useless without context. I know one of Shadys long runs was negated by a Logan Thomas hold where without the hold McCoy likely gets tackled at the LOS or at the very least it had a direct affect on the play.