RIP Gord Downie

Dudes. This is the beauty of musicians. They never die. Stop your crying. !@#$ Jimi, Jerry, Janis etc etc have been gone for a long time but they live on forever. Mom, Dad, grandparents? Poof gone. Musicians? They will still be around way after we are worn food.

Well said. Thanks, Jim.

'The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/arts/music/gord-downie-tragically-hip-dead-final-album.html

Dudes. This is the beauty of musicians. They never die. Stop your crying. !@#$ Jimi, Jerry, Janis etc etc have been gone for a long time but they live on forever. Mom, Dad, grandparents? Poof gone. Musicians? They will still be around way after we are worn food.

Exactly. Better said than I could have done. See: Dvorak, Brahms, Tchaikovsky.

'The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/arts/music/gord-downie-tragically-hip-dead-final-album.html

thanks for posting that. I look forward to the release.

Grew up listening to the Hip. They are, if not my favorite, then easily a top 3 all-time band.

Gord is my favorite front-man, and I don't think that will ever change. He put on these amazing shows that were pretty much the product of sheer effort. This was obvious because the guy would be sweating head-to-toe about halfway through the first song.

Saw him do a sit-down acoustic song/spoken poetry set at the Adam's Mark for an environmental conference, and he was the same guy, just his effort was evident in the emotion of his voice, rather than being drenched in sweat. He clearly cared for the marginalized.

I get the crowd of the "why are you upset over a musician you never met?" mindset, but at the same time, this guy definitely had a huge impact on my life through his music and approach to art.

Feel bad especially because of the circumstances. I don't feel bad for some of the morons that die from an overdose. That's just dumb. Him, it's terrible, he didn't look for it. Anyway, great band and my two favorite concerts were them at the Roseland Theatre in Portland, OR and here at the Filmore a few years ago.

You feel what you feel. The Hip and Gord were the soundtrack of my 20s and 30s, just like they were to many here. If you're sad and upset about the passing of a guy whose music had an effect on you, don't let a bills message board poster, who you've also likely never met, tell you that youre silly for feeling the way you feel.

You feel what you feel. The Hip and Gord were the soundtrack of my 20s and 30s, just like they were to many here. If you're sad and upset about the passing of a guy whose music had an effect on you, don't let a bills message board poster, who you've also likely never met, tell you that youre silly for feeling the way you feel.

Excellent point.

Or Neil or Joni or Geddy or Burton.

Good post here not like most of the others