AFL Trivia Question

I loved the old AFL, maybe it was because i was so young but the NFL was boring as heck tome, pound and ground and then you had high flying QBs like Hadl, Namath, Lamonica that loved long bombs. Games with 3 or 4 long bomb TDs along with 4 ints were not uncommon.

You're so right, Roy. No lead was ever safe in the AFL. I remember one game from the early 60's that the Bills were at Denver. They had about a thirty point

lead over the Broncos at the half. The Broncs wound up WINNING the game! All the scoring in the 2nd half was done by Denver. I was young too at the time and

sports was really a big thing to me then. Playing them as well as watching them.

If our younger fans ever wanted to get a glimps of how the early AFL was, two retro games I'd recommend: 1. The "Come Back" game against Houston, and

2. the "No Punt" game against the 9'ers. Put the popcorn on & enjoy. Long live the AFL!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Denver. Believe their starting quarterback was Frank Tripucka.

Yeh, Tripucka. Previous he was the QB coach in Denver, and they were so strapped for a QB due to injuries, the head coach told Tripucka to suit up. He was a

qb in the CFL prior to coming to Denver. That's one of the things I love about the league. It started out as a shoe string league, but it grew into something

really great. The common thread all throughout was good, entertaining football on the field.

Yeh, Tripucka. Previous he was the QB coach in Denver, and they were so strapped for a QB due to injuries, the head coach told Tripucka to suit up. He was a

qb in the CFL prior to coming to Denver. That's one of the things I love about the league. It started out as a shoe string league, but it grew into something

really great. The common thread all throughout was good, entertaining football on the field.

yep.. frank tripucka, father of kelly tripucka, as i have said many times on here, the Broncos wore vertically stripped socks .. they got them cheap as they were hurting for money.. did see them in them at the rockpile in 60

You're so right, Roy. No lead was ever safe in the AFL. I remember one game from the early 60's that the Bills were at Denver. They had about a thirty point

lead over the Broncos at the half. The Broncs wound up WINNING the game! All the scoring in the 2nd half was done by Denver. I was young too at the time and

sports was really a big thing to me then. Playing them as well as watching them.

If our younger fans ever wanted to get a glimps of how the early AFL was, two retro games I'd recommend: 1. The "Come Back" game against Houston, and

2. the "No Punt" game against the 9'ers. Put the popcorn on & enjoy. Long live the AFL!

Those games seem almost like yesterday! but i get your point.. too bad there is no film of charlie ferguson catching a TD on a Sat night game at the rockpile with 28 seconds left to beat the PATS.. love the old AFL talk..

Edited by dwight in philly

yep.. frank tripucka, father of kelly tripucka, as i have said many times on here, the Broncos wore vertically stripped socks .. they got them cheap as they were hurting for money.. did see them in them at the rockpile in 60

Those games seem almost like yesterday! but i get your point.. too bad there is no film of charlie ferguson catching a TD on a Sat night game at the rockpile with 28 seconds left to beat the PATS.. love the old AFL talk..

...the "miked up" Hank Stram is one of my all time favorites.......suit, tie and FOOTBALL CLEATS.......yesteryear's "hoodie garb".......love it.......Boston Patriots..Babe Parilli....Gino Cappelliti....back in1967 & 1968, the Rochester Jaycees sponsored Buffalo Bills exhibition games in the then Aquinas HS Football stadium which sat 20,000.....Aquinas built the stadium in the 50's to attract small college football teams because no one could compete with them nationally at the HS level.....1967 was Bills vs Dolphins and 1968 was Bills vs Pats....still have the programs...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...the "miked up" Hank Stram is one of my all time favorites.......suit, tie and FOOTBALL CLEATS.......yesteryear's "hoodie garb".......love it.......Boston Patriots..Babe Parilli....Gino Cappelliti....back in1967 & 1968, the Rochester Jaycees sponsored Buffalo Bills exhibition games in the then Aquinas HS Football stadium which sat 20,000.....Aquinas built the stadium in the 50's to attract small college football teams because no one could compete with them nationally at the HS level.....1967 was Bills vs Dolphins and 1968 was Bills vs Pats....still have the programs...

i did go to the Bills v Dolphins in 67 at acquinas , BoB Griese was within a yard away from where we sat. nice that u brought that up.was 15 and visiting the amusement park , Roseland, with my parents and siblings , made the trip to acquinas..

Here, here. I hope that our younger fans do not forget this league, or lesson the importance of it as time moves on. The league deserves to be remembered.

Here, here. I hope that our younger fans do not forget this league, or lesson the importance of it as time moves on. The league deserves to be remembered.

:thumbsup: Totally agree.. and i realize the present rules the roost.. but nice to be able to share the memories on here for those that do remember

Edited by dwight in philly

The Bills are one of two original AFL teams to keep the exact same name (city and nickname) through their entire AFL/NFL history. What is the other team that can say that?

I read who the article named as the correct answer, but I think there is one more. The Miami Dolphins was my first thought, am I right or wrong?

This is actually the only trivia question I ever made up myself. I asked my friends this about a decade or so ago. I first thought of it because I thought maybe the Bills were the only one, and then I figured out Denver, too.

i did go to the Bills v Dolphins in 67 at acquinas , BoB Griese was within a yard away from where we sat. nice that u brought that up.was 15 and visiting the amusement park , Roseland, with my parents and siblings , made the trip to acquinas..

...good stuff wasn't it?....Kemp. LIncoln , Burnett,Marty S, Saimes, etc. vs Nicky B, Parilli, Gino C, Antwine, etc.....Aquinas stadium is gone as is Roseland Amusement Oark....

It is good Dwight. It is good. In a lot of those games, from the opening whistle to the final gun, it was ball-to-the-wall, AFL style.

Okay not too hard but quickly, off the top of your heads, when the AFL and NFL merged in 1970, the AFL had 10 teams while the NFL had 16. Which 3 NFL teams joined the 10 AFL teams to make it a 13-13 balance between the AFC-NFC?

Edited by Tuco

Okay not too hard but quickly, off the top of your heads, when the AFL and NFL merged in 1970, the AFL had 10 teams while the NFL had 16. Which 3 NFL teams joined the 10 AFL teams to make it a 13-13 balance between the AFC-NFC?

Balt.. cleveland and the steelers.

...good stuff wasn't it?....Kemp. LIncoln , Burnett,Marty S, Saimes, etc. vs Nicky B, Parilli, Gino C, Antwine, etc.....Aquinas stadium is gone as is Roseland Amusement Oark....

yea, speaking of that year, thought the team with the players you enumerated , would make us another shoo-in .. but they really crapped the bed that year

:thumbsup: Totally agree.. and i realize the present rules the roost.. but nice to be able to share the memories on here for those that do remember

The memories are great. Dwight, do you remember that one guy on a team that pasted his first teacher paycheck to the inside of his helmet

Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh

The memories are great. Dwight, do you remember that one guy on a team that pasted his first teacher paycheck to the inside of his helmet

Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh

whoa! i thought i knew everything .. but you may have me on that one! if you give me the initials , i may get it!

I've told this story before...

My family lived in Ormond Beach in the '60's. When I was in 3rd grade ('65-'66) our elementary school PE teacher was a guy named John Stofa. One day, he was gone. My mother showed me an article in the newspaper that said he was picked up by the expansion Dolphins to play QB. I think it was their second season of existence. He played in Miami (back up QB mostly) for a few years, and then he bounced around the AFL for a few more years. An ok career. I googled him a while back and it turns out he was playing semi-pro football in the Daytona Beach area and was an elementary school PE teacher to make enough money to live on. He was not a fun PE teacher. Very strict and serious.