Chicago's "soda tax" gets repealed

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-cook-county-pop-tax-repeal-20171010-story.html

"“That’s to me very insulting to me, every time I see those commercials,” Robert Ellis told commissioners during several hours of testimony before the vote. “I get more and more angry, because I don’t need some Gotham City billionaire telling me how to live my life here in Cook County.”

"County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, who pushed hard to keep the pop tax, conceded defeat, even as she challenged commissioners to come up with a way to make up the estimated $200 million hole about to be blown in the 2018 budget."

"Delayed by a month due to an Illinois Retail Merchants Association lawsuit, the tax didn’t take effect until Aug. 2."

So they included the income in next years budget, all the while fighting in court to impose the tax. :wallbash: :wallbash:

I was against the tax. Had to be crippling the merchants where I live. I live in Will County, about 1/2 a mile from Cook County. I simply didn't buy anything with sugar (not just soda, the tax was on sugar, real sugar stuff like juice) in Cook County... Would go to Indiana or stay in Will.

Even being an ex-fat azz, this tax was wrong. And man, were they really pushing defearing it, even at check out, all the cashiers were ordered to say: "You sure you want this, this is how much tax will be added on."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They wanted to do this on Seattle. But they said It wasn't fair because poor people drink regular soda while rich people drink more diet. so they tried to make it fair by taxing diet the same as regular.

Finally, they gave up.

Edited by reddogblitz

They wanted to do this on Seattle. But they said It wasn't fair because poor people drink regular soda while rich people drink more diet. so they tried to make it fair by taxing diet the same as regular.

Finally, they gave up.

Liberals had to give up an attempt to "level the playing field"?? Must have been crushing for them.

At least they admitted it was a mistake

GOP still saying tax cuts pay for themselves. Wrong

you are claiming tax cuts have never worked?

really??????????????????

by the way, what are your credentials to pontificate on such broad topics as economics, political science, corporate and personal tax rates?

you must have 15 graduate degrees, or something far less..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

really??????????????????

by the way, what are your credentials to pontificate on such broad topics as economics, political science, corporate and personal tax rates?

you must have 15 graduate degrees, or something far less..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You'll see how imminently qualified he is when you ask him about the Federal Reserve.

The trouble with special taxes is that they NEVER go to what the libs promise they'll go to.

Collecting a Coca-Cola tax would just go to Bill Clinton's Bimbo Eruption Defense Fund.

I'm on needles and pins about Tibs eloquent views on the Fed....

really??????????????????

How did you get that from what I wrote?

I believe the Federal Reserve is part of the Federal Government, and that had some howling at the moon around here

How did you get that from what I wrote?

I believe the Federal Reserve is part of the Federal Government, and that had some howling at the moon around here

Because it's not a matter of "belief." Reality supersedes your idiotic little ill-informed beliefs. Because reality does not give a **** what you think. Edited by DC Tom

"County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, who pushed hard to keep the pop tax, conceded defeat, even as she challenged commissioners to come up with a way to make up the estimated $200 million hole about to be blown in the 2018 budget."

"Delayed by a month due to an Illinois Retail Merchants Association lawsuit, the tax didn’t take effect until Aug. 2."

So they included the income in next years budget, all the while fighting in court to impose the tax. :wallbash: :wallbash:

In Chicago that would be easy ... An ammunition tax would earn them even more, one bullet at a time.