Can we stop with "McBeane?"

At what point is it okay to separate the 2? I feel good about McDermott but have real questions about Beane(or the talent evaluators in general). We constantly lump them together and it's time to separate the coaching from the roster building.

Well i would if there was clear lines. However I am not sure there is. Beane came in late in the Process so no telling how much authority McDermott has over the roster building

Well i would if there was clear lines. However I am not sure there is. Beane came in late in the Process so no telling how much authority McDermott has over the roster building

There is still a line between personnel and coaching. We shouldn't keep putting them together in our evaluation. The coaching has been good imo the roster building is a question.

There is still a line between personnel and coaching. We shouldn't keep putting them together in our evaluation. The coaching has been good imo the roster building is a question.

I agree. The coaching on the field has been night and day over the coaching in previous years (granted still question the offensive side) and some of in game decisions.

However i cannot just blame all the roster build on Beane seeing he came here after the draft. So McDermott shares blame and credit in how this roster was constructed

Edited by MAJBobby

There is definitely a separation between coaching and personnel. I certainly won't argue that point. It doesn't negate the fact that Beane and McDermott will likely succeed or fail together. They both came into this organization from Carolina at the same time. This gives the image of them being strongly linked. Therefore I have no problem with using the term. It is representative of the new regime, it's not an indicator that I don't understand the separation between coaching and personnel.

So trite. Veiled complaints about trading Watkins. Get over it. See what happens in April .

Thanks for nothing (as usual). You think that we should lump the personnel decisions and coaching together? I've never ever heard of that in sports. I'm a Yankee fan and would say that Cashman did a phenomenal job this year and Girardi is average at best. They are 2 different things!!

There is definitely a separation between coaching and personnel. I certainly won't argue that point. It doesn't negate the fact that Beane and McDermott will likely succeed or fail together. They both came into this organization from Carolina at the same time. This gives the image of them being strongly linked. Therefore I have no problem with using the term. It is representative of the new regime, it's not an indicator that I don't understand the separation between coaching and personnel.

I just believe that one has been good and one we need to wait and see on. This roster is not very talented and has a winning record. That's indicative of good coaching IMO.

Thanks for nothing (as usual). You think that we should lump the personnel decisions and coaching together? I've never ever heard of that in sports. I'm a Yankee fan and would say that Cashman did a phenomenal job this year and Girardi is average at best. They are 2 different things!!

I just believe that one has been good and one we need to wait and see on. This roster is not very talented and has a winning record. That's indicative of good coaching IMO.

I agree with that analysis, it's just difficult for me to believe that McDermott didn't sign off on some of the roster moves that stripped us of talent. I read the reports that McD had no idea about the Sammy trade, but it's hard to believe that it wasn't discussed. I could be wrong, you may know more inside info on this topic than someone such myself. I will never lump Beane and McD together for their entire career, but I can't comprehend the idea that Beane made all of these moves behind McD's back.

They've said REPEATEDLY that they work in tandem. Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't make it false.

I agree with that analysis, it's just difficult for me to believe that McDermott didn't sign off on some of the roster moves that stripped us of talent. I read the reports that McD had no idea about the Sammy trade, but it's hard to believe that it wasn't discussed. I could be wrong, you may know more inside info on this topic than someone such myself. I will never lump Beane and McD together for their entire career, but I can't comprehend the idea that Beane made all of these moves behind McD's back.

i don't buy for one second he had no idea about the Sammy trade. In fact I think he's the one who submitted it for consideration and asked that it be achieved.

At what point is it okay to separate the 2? I feel good about McDermott but have real questions about Beane(or the talent evaluators in general). We constantly lump them together and it's time to separate the coaching from the roster building.

because McDermott has a huge say in personnel.

i don't buy for one second he had no idea about the Sammy trade. In fact I think he's the one who submitted it for consideration and asked that it be achieved.

Neither do I, that's why some of us use the term "McBeane". The 2017 Buffalo Bills have the duos vision imprinted all over them.

agreed.

it also points to someone unable to finger point the issue when they can just say its both

I think coaching has been great, but personnel moves have been questionable. The issue is that I see McD as having an influence (or at least a say) on those personnel moves.

They've said REPEATEDLY that they work in tandem. Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't make it false.

All teams work in tandem. That's not unique to the Bills. McDermott may (and probably does) have more say than your typical HC. Chip Kelly was a better coach than he was a personnel guy. The point is that at some point we need to separate those 2 things, talent evaluation and coaching because they aren't the same.