TNF: Pats at Bucs

YoloinOhio

It's always interesting when people criticize a team of overpaying for a kicker because he's just a kicker like the criticism aimed at signing Hauschka for a 3 year 8.5 million dollar contract. We pry don't win in Atlanta without him nailing those 55 and 56 yarders.

I think having a plus kicker is nearly a prerequisite nowadays if you want to win in the NFL. The bulk of the teams in the league are pretty evenly matched and having an absolute money kicker, as opposed to a Folk or a Carp, will probably win you a couple games a year. Can you think of another position where that's true, other than QB? The point hit home last year when I was watching the divisional round of the playoffs and realized that every single team there had an excellent kicker. The problem is, you can't just draft one, as Tampa found out. You almost have to luck into one, or shell out $$ like Buffalo did. Haushka was a very underrated acquisition for the Bills.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always interesting when people criticize a team of overpaying for a kicker because he's just a kicker like the criticism aimed at signing Hauschka for a 3 year 8.5 million dollar contract. We pry don't win in Atlanta without him nailing those 55 and 56 yarders.

I totally agree. Hauschka has been a great asset so far. My son is a Seahawks fan and hated that we got him.

New England had dumb penalties that gave the Bucs one of those missed opportunities and their D gave up huge plays in the second half. The positive press the Pats* are getting this morning is undeserved.

Poor decision on that final play though. I wouldn't throw to OJ Howard if he was the only guy out there.

Winston completely choked on that last play. He had plenty of time but panicked and threw that ball to the wrong guy at the wrong time and threw it behind him. Tyrod would be crucified for a play like that.

His first half last night was terrible I absolutely agree with that. I think he still needs to be more consistent within games and across a season. There is a bit of early Matt Stafford in him in that he has never seen a throw he doesn't like. At the moment does he look like a Superbowl winning Quarterback? No, I agree he doesn't. I still think Tampa are a flawed team though. The pieces around him look better on paper than in reality and the coaching is crap.

I agree with you about Tampa. They're one of the weirdest teams in the league. What's their identity? They have this odd love-hate relationship with the Muscle Hamster (who, incidentally, should sponsor his own PED called "Muscle Hamster"), where one week he'll be featured and look explosive and the next week is completely out of the gameplan. They don't commit to running the ball and they're not built for a ball control offense. On defense, they've been boring ever since Kiffin left. Mike Smith's bland Cover-4 or whatever you call it seem like a super easy defense to play against - the Pats didn't play well enough to exploit it, and their o-line (especially Solder) is having a really rough start to the season. The Bucks lack heart and identity - they're utterly boring and nondescript.

Wow. I guess we do look at players with completely different eyes when they aren't Bills. I had no opinion on Winston going into this game but I thought he was dreadful, in both halves.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think having a plus kicker is nearly a prerequisite nowadays if you want to win in the NFL. The bulk of the teams in the league are pretty evenly matched and having an absolute money kicker, as opposed to a Folk or a Carp, will probably win you a couple games a year. Can you think of another position where that's true, other than QB? The point hit home last year when I was watching the divisional round of the playoffs and realized that every single team there had an excellent kicker. The problem is, you can't just draft one, as Tampa found out. You almost have to luck into one, or shell out $$ like Buffalo did. Haushka was a very underrated acquisition for the Bills.

When Belichick was asked who the best player on the 2001 Super Bowl team was, he said Vinatieri. Always found that funny, but telling. Belichick knows if Buffalo had a Vinatieri instead of Scott Norwood in 1990 then Bills were world champions and Giants the bridesmaids.

I agree with you about Tampa. They're one of the weirdest teams in the league. What's their identity? They have this odd love-hate relationship with the Muscle Hamster (who, incidentally, should sponsor his own PED called "Muscle Hamster"), where one week he'll be featured and look explosive and the next week is completely out of the gameplan. They don't commit to running the ball and they're not built for a ball control offense. On defense, they've been boring ever since Kiffin left. Mike Smith's bland Cover-4 or whatever you call it seem like a super easy defense to play against - the Pats didn't play well enough to exploit it, and their o-line (especially Solder) is having a really rough start to the season. The Bucks lack heart and identity - they're utterly boring and nondescript.

You forgot that a certain 40-yr old QB looked like a 40-yr old QB

Oh I didnt forget. I was afraid to mention it, because the Patriots are totally in my head and I dont want to jinx it. He definitely looks older this year and I love that hes been taking a beating. Lets see how it goes for them through October.

Winston completely choked on that last play. He had plenty of time but panicked and threw that ball to the wrong guy at the wrong time and threw it behind him. Tyrod would be crucified for a play like that.

Agreed on the last line. Based on his reaction I'm thinking he expected that guy to do something different.. if he broke to where Winston threw it, I think there's a chance to get in. I'm guessing the quick throw was intended to try and steal a second shot at it. Oh well - Winston will be a solid QB imo. I think he'll exceed Alex smith level. Which to me is sort of a floor of acceptability

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

His first half last night was terrible I absolutely agree with that. I think he still needs to be more consistent within games and across a season. There is a bit of early Matt Stafford in him in that he has never seen a throw he doesn't like. At the moment does he look like a Superbowl winning Quarterback? No, I agree he doesn't. I still think Tampa are a flawed team though. The pieces around him look better on paper than in reality and the coaching is crap.

Do you think Tampa Bay should draft a 1st round QB no matter what next year? Since they don't have a guy that has shown he can win a Super Bowl without incredible talent around him.

He did? During the 2nd and 3rd Quarters he looked like the best QB in football...

Watch redzone one afternoon, kickers and head coaches managing the game are the difference between a 11-5 team and a 5-11 team.

the 2-1 Bucs (who beat the Bears and Giants, woof), miss three field goals and are still in it on the last play of the game in NE's red zone. Then nfl.com throws up three articles: the Pats have turned a corner, The Patriots bounce back, etc. Please. This team has proven nothing. This is the least threatening they've been in a decade.

the 2-1 Bucs (who beat the Bears and Giants, woof), miss three field goals and are still in it on the last play of the game in NE's red zone. Then nfl.com throws up three articles: the Pats have turned a corner, The Patriots bounce back, etc. Please. This team has proven nothing. This is the least threatening they've been in a decade.

Brady still looks really good, and we play them at the end of the year when they're likely to be rolling along. I thought they got a little too cute in the red zone against the bucs, and took their foot off the gas. Also felt that their O-line didn't have a very good game.

The one major positive I see in our matchup with them. In the past it's seemed every time we feel like it's rolling and they might be vulnerable, they cram it right down our throats with a power back we can't tackle and it's a demoralizing loss.

With Gillislee as their "power" back, I don't think their offense is capable of that anymore. They are still capable of the annoying "get them in 3rd and 6 yet they find a way to move the chains" type of drives, but it looks like the backbreaking physical element of their offense is not there.

Brady still looks really good, and we play them at the end of the year when they're likely to be rolling along. I thought they got a little too cute in the red zone against the bucs, and took their foot off the gas. Also felt that their O-line didn't have a very good game.

Gronk as a late scratch on a short week certainly didn't help matters. Tampa's safeties were both hurt. Last night was the type of game where a healthy Gronk and the vertical element in the middle of the field would have likely meant touchdowns instead of field goals and Jameis was off his game enough there would have been balls up for grabs, potentially turning it into a 38-13 type of game.

Why will they likely be rolling along? Why won't they be depleted because of a season's worth of injuries? And why is is that when they have a bad game that it's not because of their performance, but because they consciously 'took their foot off the gas'. Teams need to stop giving the Pats the right of way and start smacking them in the mouth. Blitzing Brady is the answer, but teams are afraid of getting picked apart in the secondary by quick throws. Just bring the pressure. This team is trending down.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88