My 2017 1st Quarter QB Rankings

Now that everyone has 4 games on the books I present to you lovely folks, without (excessive) commentary, my 2017 1st Quarter QB Rankings. Mostly doing this just to document changes throughout the season. Feel free to discuss, question, or turn it into an endless TT debate. The final column is my rating system, and is what the QBs are sorted by, and I have only included QBs that have played in 3 or more games. Conveniently, that number came out to 32.

bKEC6t0.jpg

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Would you mind explaining the columns you have there? That last column to the right, what formula do you use to come up with that?

Are you saying that you think Taylor has had the 23rd best start to 2017? This sure seems to put a lot more weight in volume than efficiency if that's the case.

I think you've at least got a put them in the top 15.

Would you mind explaining the columns you have there? That last column to the right, what formula do you use to come up with that?

Are you saying that you think Taylor has had the 23rd best start to 2017? This sure seems to put a lot more weight in volume than efficiency if that's the case.

The last column uses Yards per Touch, TD%, and TO% and is weighted by attempts per game compared to their peers. One explanation for Tyrod being where he is could be the defenses he's faced so far. The Bills have faced the 3rd most difficult schedule so far based on opponent W/L. In 2015 he finished 13, and in 2016 he finished 14.

The last column uses Yards per Touch, TD%, and TO% and is weighted by attempts per game compared to their peers. One explanation for Tyrod being where he is could be the defenses he's faced so far. The Bills have faced the 3rd most difficult schedule so far based on opponent W/L. In 2015 he finished 13, and in 2016 he finished 14.

So if you're truly going to call this a "QB ranking" don't you think you should factor in teams and defenses played and find a way to put that in the formula similarly to how footballoutsiders does with DYAR and DVOA?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

So if you're truly going to call this a "QB ranking" don't you think you should factor in teams and defenses played and find a way to put that in the formula similarly to how footballoutsiders does with DYAR and DVOA?

That's your opinion. For now I like my formula. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out. I'll be making an update after week 9.

What would you say Taylor is doing that's top 15 in the league, efficiency-wise?

What would you say Taylor is doing that's top 15 in the league, efficiency-wise?

TO% and TD/TO Ratio are both top shelf. But for him to pull his rating up he'll need to score more.

Good work Hokie.

Flacco is killing me this year.

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a rough one for him. I do feel slightly emboldened by the fact that rank 31 has already been benched :D

TO% and TD/TO Ratio are both top shelf. But for him to pull his rating up he'll need to score more.

D

Maybe he should ask Dennison and Mc Dermott to take their feet off the brake in the fourth quarter. Edited by mannc

Completion % (13th), YPA (9th), TD % (14th), INT % (1st), QB rating (8th), QBR (9th).

Pretty much every efficiency stat he is in the top 15 it is the volume stats he struggles on. When adjusted for his attempts his numbers look very good.

Agree with Hokie too, as we play a couple of softer defenses the volume stats will look much better as well.

Case Keenum over Tyrod? Keenum has only played 2 games. 1 was very good and 1 was bad..

Small sample size. I messed around with this a bit and am interested to see where it all ends up.

Good work Hokie :thumbsup:

Case Keenum over Tyrod? Keenum has only played 2 games. 1 was very good and 1 was bad..

In terms of the rating, he has played in 3 games to Tyrod's 4 and attempted more passes than Tyrod. Keenum is averaging a full yard per touch more than Tyrod, and 1 more touch per game than Tyrod. Keenum also hasn't had a turnover yet.

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a rough one for him. I do feel slightly emboldened by the fact that rank 31 has already been benched :D

I spent all offseason calling him underrated and this is how he repays me.

Now that everyone has 4 games on the books I present to you lovely folks, without (excessive) commentary, my 2017 1st Quarter QB Rankings. Mostly doing this just to document changes throughout the season. Feel free to discuss, question, or turn it into an endless TT debate. The final column is my rating system, and is what the QBs are sorted by, and I have only included QBs that have played in 3 or more games. Conveniently, that number came out to 32.

bKEC6t0.jpg

The most interesting qb in your ranking is Jared Goff. He went from a rookie qb who was overwhelmed to someone who is now ranked sixth. (I'm aware this is an early ranking.) He had a taste of playing last year and had an offseason to prepare. He got a good coach who wisely worked to put him in a good position to succeed. What also helped the qb is that the GM did a good job in improving the OL and giving the qb some weapons to work with. What the HC has smartly done is keep things simple and build from the basics for this young qb who was prematurely written off by a lot of people.

Edited by JohnC

The most interesting qb in your ranking is Jared Goff. He went from a rookie qb who was overwhelmed to someone who is now ranked sixth. (I'm aware this is an early ranking.) He had a taste of playing last year and had an offseason to prepare. He got a good coach who wisely worked to put him in a good position to succeed. What also helped the qb is that the GM did a good job in improving the OL and giving the qb some weapons to work with. What the HC has smartly done is keep things simple and build from the basics for this young qb who was prematurely written off by a lot of people.

Through his 7 games last year, Goff scored a 43.4 in this system. So yes, clear early improvement indicators.

Seeing this with Wentz as well. They went out and surrounded their young guys with some talent.

Through his 7 games last year, Goff scored a 43.4 in this system. So yes, clear early improvement indicators.

it's still early .... maybe he's got it, maybe it's an oddity.

Colts, Skins, 49ers, Boys. Looks like 2-2 to me with a gift wrap.

October is here and the Average PPG scored will start to lower.