RIP Tom Petty (confirmed)

YoloinOhio

On 1/22/2018 at 3:14 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Training @ work... Some sort of DoD safety, drug training... Opioid awareness thing... I recall it mentioning that carfentanil is 10,000 times stronger than heroin.  If that is really true (I hope they aren't pumping me full of fake news <_<) I can see how easy it would be to screw up and OD.

Crazy bad. YET, who's controlling the natural stuff, poppy fields and putting a squeeze on that ****?  Then the unintended consequences of people turning to the synthesized junk because that's cheap/easier to find to feed the physical aspects of their addiction.

Sure the drug is killing people, but why are they turning to the synthesized garbage?

The road to perdition is paved with good intentions.

They aren't turning to it...the dealers are and mixing into heroin or just selling it straight up.  It's cheaper and they can make more money.  People buy it thinking it's one thing and then unsuspectingly die.  There are even people who are pressing it into pills that look like xanax or sell it as cocaine...instant death.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/24/16928986/fentanyl-online-orders-postal-service

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

They aren't turning to it...the dealers are and mixing into heroin or just selling it straight up.  It's cheaper and they can make more money.  People buy it thinking it's one thing and then unsuspectingly die.  There are even people who are pressing it into pills that look like xanax or sell it as cocaine...instant death.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/24/16928986/fentanyl-online-orders-postal-service

Thanks for the info NG.  Wow.  You would think it would be a bad business model to kill off one's customers? SMH... Everything is so effed up.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks for the info NG.  Wow.  You would think it would be a bad business model to kill off one's customers? SMH... Everything is so effed up.

According to a study I read, about 135 people show up in ER's every day with symptoms of opioid dependence in this country (new addicts)...so if 174 die every day, they are really not losing many customers.  Friggin sad.

2 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

According to a study I read, about 135 people show up in ER's every day with symptoms of opioid dependence in this country (new addicts)...so if 174 die every day, they are really not losing many customers.  Friggin sad.

Crazy!  And the nature of the physical dependence keeps them on the hook!  So sad and so insidious!:(

• Sad 1

Not to downplay the opioid problem but a lot more people die every year from alcohol than opioids.  I guess the big difference is people choose alcohol however opioids are foisted upon them.  Either way self-medication has always been a problem and always will be.  It's very interesting to wonder why the human brain will intentionally kill the human body to get high.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Not to downplay the opioid problem but a lot more people die every year from alcohol than opioids.  I guess the big difference is people choose alcohol however opioids are foisted upon them.  Either way self-medication has always been a problem and always will be.  It's very interesting to wonder why the human brain will intentionally kill the human body to get high.  

True... But opioids more insidious.  There is a physical dependence there that alters the brain.  One just can't beat it on "will power" alone.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think the thing is the social natural of alcohol and it's social acceptance...here's an interesting article.   in 2015, 30000 died from the direct effects of alcohol, still less than opioid ODs.  BTW I actually think that article is complete BS...the opioid crisis is real.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2017/7/24/6-reasons-opioids-are-used-to-distract-from-alcohol

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

True... But opioids more insidious.  There is a physical dependence there that alters the brain.  One just can't beat it on "will power" alone.

And maybe more importantly, it's striking the young...my bet is it's takes a lot longer to become an alcoholic than an addict.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

One needs to come down physically from opioids with a weaker opioid, right...??

There in lies the prob... If one doesn't, the physical withdrawal will kill them.

Nothing like alcohol.  Alcohol bad.  One can power through the DT's.  But opioids so insidious!

Sadly withdrawal from a lot of things can kill in extreme cases...but there's no real difference.  The body becomes dependent on the substance to function.  Medically assisted withdrawal is the safest for both alcohol and opiates.  You can "power through" opiate withdrawal too, but it's pretty brutal...alcohol withdrawal actually may be "more dangerous" and likely to kill.  The body reacts severely because the chemical processes in the brain are being disrupted; alcohol, heroin, and others interfere with the GABA receptors in the brain. The GABA system is the body’s main down regulator, and withdrawal causes it to go crazy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Sadly withdrawal from a lot of things can kill in extreme cases...but there's no real difference.  The body becomes dependent on the substance to function.  Medically assisted withdrawal is the safest for both alcohol and opiates.

Mix in the illegal nature of one vs. other and the killing power compounds with opiates.

54 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Yeah...I'm pretty sure no one ever died from one shot of whiskey or one beer.

It's so freaking terrifying NG! Thanks for staying strong and helping to shed light on the problem!  Through your grief, so much positive is brought to the table of discussion on this.  I wish it didn't have to be that way.  

Always in my thoughts!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This would be incredibly Machiavellian but it was the only thing I could come up with when somebody asked me the same question................I've heard of times, or maybe all the time, when somebody dies of an OD, other addicts will ask where did they get them from, because they want it, because they need the strongest stuff to get high at that point........I wonder if it's ever done on purpose for that?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

This would be incredibly Machiavellian but it was the only thing I could come up with when somebody asked me the same question................I've heard of times, or maybe all the time, when somebody dies of an OD, other addicts will ask where did they get them from, because they want it, because they need the strongest stuff to get high at that point........I wonder if it's ever done on purpose for that?

Wow... I never really thought of it that way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

Sadly, that's the case....also sadly if cut with fentanyl or carfentanyl it's not mixed uniformly so it's like russian roulette.

14 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Sadly, that's the case....also sadly if cut with fentanyl or carfentanyl it's not mixed uniformly so it's like russian roulette.

These people have to be charged with murder, if that's the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

One needs to come down physically from opioids with a weaker opioid, right...??

There in lies the prob... If one doesn't, the physical withdrawal will kill them.

Nothing like alcohol.  Alcohol bad.  One can power through the DT's.  But opioids so insidious!

Colleague’s kids aren’t dropping dead suddenly from ages 21-31 from alcohol the last few years

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, bbb said:

These people have to be charged with murder, if that's the case. 

They are in CT and FL, maybe even NYC...if you sell and people die as a result, you're charged with murder.  I would like to get my hands on one person in particular.

• Like (+1) 1