Combination Coverages

Buffalo716

Through 3 weeks the bills are playing stellar defensive football. The revamped secondary has been flying all around the ball and making plays.

This can be in part to McDermotts and Fraziers defense. They have been very proficient in mixing up the defensive coverages with cover 3, cover 2 and man. They have a good feel for the secondary and what they can and cannot do well.

This is a big test against Atlanta this week. Their offense is really explosive and the Bills are going to have to do a tremendous job with playing their zones.

McDermott/ Frazier needs to reach in to his defensive bag of tricks and come up with some combination coverages this week to stifle Atlantas offense. Something they haven't seen on film yet

This is the perfect week to break out the cover 6. We have the personnel and this is the team to do it against.

The basic breakdown of the cover 6 is that half the field sits in a cover 2. The other half in a cover 4. Disguise it preplay and it can be the perfect play to stop the potent Falcons offense.

This is the week to bust off the combination coverages and show the NFL we are for real

Edited by Buffalo716

I've been really happy with the evolution of the D this year. They're generating a lot of pressure with the front 4 against QBs who get the ball out pretty quick, and are still blanketing the receivers. I'm actually looking forward to Sunday - i think you might be right, this could be the coming out party

The coverage isn't going to be the problem from what they have run. They need to get the pressure up front to force Ryan it of the pocket. That's been his issue for the most part. Throwing outside the pocket while on the run.

Most non mobile QBs struggle outside the pocket on the run.

Matt Ryan will torch a traditional cover 2 defense. We play it much softer than our cover 3. We need to disguise looks pre play and confuse him if possible.

He is too good to run a standard cover 2 or 3 against. He will gash it up

Most non mobile QBs struggle outside the pocket on the run.

Matt Ryan will torch a traditional cover 2 defense. We play it much softer than our cover 3. We need to disguise looks pre play and confuse him if possible.

He is too good to run a standard cover 2 or 3 against. He will gash it up

I can agree with that. I just feel like the cover 6 will get picked at all game giving them ToP which is something we want to negate.

I'm not gonna offer my opinion on what coverage they should run because I honestly don't know what would work.

McD had been up against it enough to know what to do so I'll put my faith in him.

I can agree with that. I just feel like the cover 6 will get picked at all game giving them ToP which is something we want to negate.

I'm not gonna offer my opinion on what coverage they should run because I honestly don't know what would work.

McD had been up against it enough to know what to do so I'll put my faith in him.

Maybe the cover 6 will get torched.

I just know from experience that combination coverages are the way to go against savvy vets. Unless you have a world class pass rush. We play cover 2 pretty well so cover 6 to me was my first thought.

You can also play Tampa 2 with the outside corners playing man. That might work for a few plays. You can rarely shut down an MVP... just need to contain him

Edited by Buffalo716