Giants sign McKenzie

Tom

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/N...enzie030405.htm

PFW has learned that the Giants have made their second big splash in this year's free-agency pool by agreeing to terms with ex-Jets ORT Kareem McKenzie on a seven-year, $37.75 million deal, with a $12.5 million signing bonus. The 25-year-old is slated to earn $18 million in the first three years of the deal and becomes one of the highest-paid right tackles in the NFL.

If McKenzie plays out this entire contract, he will earn more than Jonas Jennings, who plays the more-coveted OLT position and who signed a seven-year, $36 million deal ($12 million in total bonuses) with the 49ers. His deal also compares favorably with Colts ORT Ryan Diem's seven-year, $32 million deal, which includes $12.75 million in signing bonus.

The Giants shored up their LB corps by signing ex-Redskins MLB Antonio Pierce Thursday to a six-year, $26 million deal. On Friday, they addressed another area of major need by agreeing on a deal with the 6-6, 327-pound McKenzie, who was considered to be the top right tackle available this offseason. Entering his fifth NFL season, he turns 26 in late May.

"Kareem is very happy," agent Kevin Poston told PFW. "He gets to come home — you know, he's from New Jersey.

"I give the Giants a lot of credit. There were other teams involved but the Giants really wanted Kareem. They did a great job. (Assistant GM) Kevin Abrams did a great job working with us."

According to Poston, McKenzie visited with the Giants Thursday, meeting head coach Tom Coughlin and his staff. Both sides liked what they saw and hammered out a deal that was close to being finalized Friday morning.

Poston told PFW that the Jets were not one of the teams interested in McKenzie's services, even though he had been entrenched at the ORT spot in the Jets' starting lineup since 2002. Poston said that he and the Jets had not discussed McKenzie's contract situation since during the 2004 season and had not been in contact since the free-agency period began March 2.

It appears that McKenzie will begin his Giants career at right tackle, but it will be the coaches’ decision whether he eventually replaces Luke Petitgout at left tackle. David Diehl, who started all 16 games at right tackle last season, now will move back to guard, his more natural position, Giants sources confirmed.

Though the team's OL depth is much improved now, the Giants could still add one more lineman through the draft or free agency.

This is the third major free-agent defection from the Jets this week. After reaching the playoffs in 2004, New York has seen starters McKenzie and NT Jason Ferguson (Dallas) plus key backup RB LaMont Jordan (Oakland) depart for greener pastures.

PFW has learned that the Giants have made their second big splash in this year's free-agency pool by agreeing to terms with ex-Jets ORT Kareem McKenzie

"Kareem is very happy," agent Kevin Poston told PFW. "He gets to come home — you know, he's from New Jersey.

262757[/snapback]

Huh? How is going from the Jets to the Giants "coming home"?? They play in the same stadium! B-)

Huh? How is going from the Jets to the Giants "coming home"??  They play in the same stadium!  B-)

262766[/snapback]

Giants train in NJ..... jests in LI

Most Giants live in NJ, He's from there-->>

:o

Huh? How is going from the Jets to the Giants "coming home"??  They play in the same stadium!  B-)

262766[/snapback]

Remember one thing:

its not the SAME stadium...dont give the Jets and their fans that much credit

The Jets play in GiANTS stadium!!!! How $ad!!! :o:lol::lol::D

I thought the Giants trained in Albany.

262784[/snapback]

Thats their version of our Rochester, Rachesta!

They train @Midget Stadium during the season!

Remember one thing:

its not the SAME stadium...dont give the Jets and their fans that much credit

The Jets play in GiANTS stadium!!!!  How $ad!!!  :o  :lol:  :lol:  :D

262787[/snapback]

B-)

"I give the Giants a lot of credit. There were other teams involved but the Giants really wanted Kareem. They did a great job. (Assistant GM) Kevin Abrams did a great job working with us."

262757[/snapback]

Um, I think if I was this Abrams dude I would not want an agent telling me what a great jjob i did. Isn't that like Hogan telling Gen Burkolter what a great job Col Klink is doing?