Anyone see new "Star Trek: Discovery"

Saxum

Despite being someone who watched Star Trek from beginning (I wanted seasons 1 & 2 on regular TV but was unable to see Star Trek season 3 because it was moved to 10 PM past my bed time) I have consumed series, movies (except for latest movie), books, animation, magazines, conventions, items, etc. Star Trek: Discovery is only available on CBS Streaming service and I barely watch TV at all except for occasional football game so I certainly not paying for a subscription or enhanced subscription without ads.

Anyone watch it? Reviews were supposedly good?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-discovery-early-reviews-164347598.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-discovery-deserves-better-183700374.html

since football games before it went late, my DVR missed the last 15-20 minutes of it. Seems like it's mainly going to be a Federation vs Klingons conflict story. Only superficial development of 3 characters in what I saw, and one of them was not likeable.

I watched the first episode, but I'm not going to pay to stream the rest of the series online. I don't like the re-imagined Klingons. The effects and CGI were great, but the only things that were recognizable from previous Trek were the icons/symbols used by both Star Fleet and the Klingon Empire.

And Klingons weren't supposed to have cloaking technology back then - pretty sure only the Romulans did.

Edited by Azalin

It was kinda bad, honestly. I have high hopes, so I'll give it time.

However, the storyline is already getting away from what I had hoped.

I want a show with good dialogue and a crew that's exploring space. Getting into hairy situations in the name of discovery (that seemed to be what the title suggested and the episode certainly started out like that). But, as someone already mentioned, it looks like they're just going to be fighting Klingons the whole season. That plot line took a front stage position WAY too soon.

I only watched the first episode as the second was on CBS All Access or some such.

Personally, I liked it, though there may be some contrasting reaction to my strong dislike for the recent Orville show.

Unfortunately, the venue means I won't be watching future episodes.

There are *so* many Star Treks

Shatner Trek

Stewart Trek

Pacula Trek

Pine Trek

Yeoh Trek

Not to mention Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

People still get it mixed up with Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

"Doesn't Captain Picard fight the Cylons in that episode?"

I don't think anything will top TNG.

There are *so* many Star Treks

Shatner Trek

Stewart Trek

Pacula Trek

Pine Trek

Yeoh Trek

Not to mention Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

People still get it mixed up with Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

"Doesn't Captain Picard fight the Cylons in that episode?"

DS9 was very good.

TNS first season is almost unwatchable. Just horrible. I stuck through it because it was the only legitimate Sci Fi series at the time.

B5 season 1 was almost as bad as TNG and then was better than TNG for seasons 2-4. TNG really hit its stride in season 3.

BSG was also very good season one. Season 2.5 really dropped off but then rebounded in season 4.

One Sci Fi series that doesn't get enough credit is SG1.

Oh snap, now you done it. Here comes another iteration of the endless Picard vs Kirk Internet War

Picard

DS9 was very good.

TNS first season is almost unwatchable. Just horrible. I stuck through it because it was the only legitimate Sci Fi series at the time.

B5 season 1 was almost as bad as TNG and then was better than TNG for seasons 2-4. TNG really hit its stride in season 3.

BSG was also very good season one. Season 2.5 really dropped off but then rebounded in season 4.

One Sci Fi series that doesn't get enough credit is SG1.

Totally agree on all counts. And I'd like to add Season 5 of Babylon 5 was also terrible as was the spinoff with Lumbergh in Space. BSG started off so good but went down hill fast

Anyone ever watch Farscape? It was eccentric, but I liked it.

Farscape had it's moments. Speaking of Farscape and SG1 (bdutton above), the last two or three seasons of SG1 was basically retooled with the Farscape crew

Another SyFy series worth checking out is Dark Matter. S3 just hit Netflix (but unfortunately the series was recently cancelled :()

And then there's Firefly