McDermott: Bills Need More Urgency from Dareus

26CornerBlitz

That's true- but I sure do know some bosses I've had make showing up to work better than others. Everyone has their own management style and players will respond differently. You can't force him to commit but you can figure out which buttons to push or avoid pushing.

My best impression isn't that you have to coddle marcell but that he's much more likely to show up for a true mentor than to prove wrong a guy that makes him feel like an outsider. That's at a huge distance so a grain of salt there but...

What would be considered a "true mentor?" Last year he got Karl Dunbar fired and replaced with John Blake, but that didn't seem to have much effect.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be considered a "true mentor?" Last year he got Karl Dunbar fired and replaced with John Blake, but that didn't seem to have much effect.

I think last year was likely a bit lacking in any form of accountability or structure

If I were the new guy coming in for a last ditch effort with MD - I do like that McD is self accountable and has structure. I think MD needs that. But I think he also needs a guy that will constantly try to genuinely invest in him instead of the tough talk of "with us or move on without you"

What management style would you bring to marcell?

I think last year was likely a bit lacking in any form of accountability or structure

If I were the new guy coming in for a last ditch effort with MD - I do like that McD is self accountable and has structure. I think MD needs that. But I think he also needs a guy that will constantly try to genuinely invest in him instead of the tough talk of "with us or move on without you"

I tend to agree with you there but at the same time the HC's construction of his coaching staff shouldn't be held hostage by one high-maintenance player regardless of how overpaid he is.

That's true- but I sure do know some bosses I've had make showing up to work better than others. Everyone has their own management style and players will respond differently. You can't force him to commit but you can figure out which buttons to push or avoid pushing.

My best impression isn't that you have to coddle marcell but that he's much more likely to show up for a true mentor than to prove wrong a guy that makes him feel like an outsider. That's at a huge distance so a grain of salt there but...

My impression of Marcell is that hes a lazy tub of crap who took the bills for a ride and doesnt feel the least bit obligated to give the bills anything back. How come Lesean Mccoy doesnt need to be poked and prodded to make an effort. Or Kyle Williams. Or Jordan Matthews by all accounts. Lots of other guys on this team I could name who give it their best without having to be begged to do so. Dareus isnt one of them.

Yes good idea - let's keep shedding star players and using draft picks to replace them. Then if and when those draftees become good players, we can turn on them and replace them, too! What could go wrong?

Star players are made on the field over years of production. That's different than lots of potential with 2 good years way back when. MLB has the war stat. I would love to see something like this on Marcell. I think his role and production is replaceabe at a far cheaper rate. It seems he could be great if he wasn't him. Too bad.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2019, 4 YR, $58,642,646; $7,800,000 DEAD CAP

So if we cut him the day the new league year starts it's basically 1 year salary for a top (but not elite) player in a good contract year at a position that pays....then we're done. He's gone. It'll hurt but it's going to happen.

I'd bring him in, sit him down, tell him he's getting counseling to deal with whatever personal issues he has, and that we expect him to give his best on the field. And if we see him loafing or if he violates any team or league rules he'll be indefinitely suspended without pay.

Honestly, it would be pretty difficult to cut him before 2019. The only way I see that is if he clearly was not buying in to the culture change that the rest of the team seems to be gobbling up and that McD/Beane believed he could be a cancer of sorts.

My hopes are that they give him all the support they possibly can to get him to buy in. The problem with Dareus I believe isn't that he doesnt want to but more that he is very emotionally and mentally immature and that he lacks sustained focus and drive.

Just got to stay on top of him until hopefully it clicks and becomes part of a lifestyle.

It seems he could be great if he wasn't him.

Sounds like something Yogi Berra would have said.

I'd bring him in, sit him down, tell him he's getting counseling to deal with whatever personal issues he has, and that we expect him to give his best on the field. And if we see him loafing or if he violates any team or league rules he'll be indefinitely suspended without pay.

We should have known this was destined for failure when Dareus held his contract-extension interview with Chris Brown on buffalobills.com high as a kite.

Dareus has not been the same since he got his new contract....some people can handle the big money and some people can't....I said at the beginning of the Off-season that no matter the status if the player doesn't fit the mold, they won't be in Buffalo....Watkins has been traded, Ragland has bee traded, Darby has been traded, Gilmore is gone, etc.....Dareus' contract and cap casualty is the ONLY reason he's still in Buffalo....and I think Beane will find a way to move him in the Off-season presuming he doesn't get it together and demonstrate his true desire to be a part of this team and the Buffalo community as a whole (One Buffalo).

Dareus has not been the same since he got his new contract....some people can handle the big money and some people can't....I said at the beginning of the Off-season that no matter the status if the player doesn't fit the mold, they won't be in Buffalo....Watkins has been traded, Ragland has bee traded, Darby has been traded, Gilmore is gone, etc.....Dareus' contract and cap casualty is the ONLY reason he's still in Buffalo....and I think Beane will find a way to move him in the Off-season presuming he doesn't get it together and demonstrate his true desire to be a part of this team and the Buffalo community as a whole (One Buffalo).

I don't see how anyone would want to take on that contract unless somehow Dareus begins playing at a pro bowl level. Teams don't want to pay over $10M a year for a player that eats up blockers and essentially is a space eater, those can be had for south of $10M a year. You pay $10M + a year for DT's that live in the opposing team's backfield, who disrupts, who makes tackles behind the LOS who gets sacks and QB pressures.

Right now, he's a space eater and not much more.

Nice way of putting words in my mouth.

Dareus has mostly himself to blame, although to be fair he probably doesn't blame himself for anything given how rich he made himself. He's immature, but not immature enough to fail to exploit his immense talent right before his one opportunity for a huge payday came about. Haynesworth is the obvious comparison - another super-talented malingerer who complained about how we used by the team that paid him a huge contract and who then went on to fail in other defenses allegedly more suited to his talents as a 4-3 guy.

Teams don't want to pay over $10M a year for a player that eats up blockers and essentially is a space eater, those can be had for south of $10M a year. You pay $10M + a year for DT's that live in the opposing team's backfield, who disrupts, who makes tackles behind the LOS who gets sacks and QB pressures.

Right now, he's a space eater and not much more.

In 2014 he did live in the opposing teams backfield. He was a one man wrecking crew. It was beautiful.

Such a shame he just doesn't care.

What other defenses did he fail in?

The entire defensive line fell of a cliff when Rex took over. Dareus is certainly frustrating, but to outright release the guy and take the cap hit/money hit benefits the team and the Bills in what way?

It benefits the team if he is not willing to put forth effort. I think they should get him back in the field and see what he does. He can be a real force inside. But the last game he played he had half a tackle. You can make the argument he ties up blockers and thus helps the rush defense, but there are other guys that can do that for less cost. He is being paid to be elite. Half a tackle isn't elite.

What other defenses did he fail in?

The entire defensive line fell of a cliff when Rex took over. Dareus is certainly frustrating, but to outright release the guy and take the cap hit/money hit benefits the team and the Bills in what way?

Haynesworth failed in New England and Tampa Bay. He was cut by NE in midseason and went unpursued by TB after he played half a season for them. Look at his AV in the season right before his big contract -- 18 ( https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaynAl20.htm). Dareus had a 17 AV in the year before his big contract. Haynesworth blamed the Washington coaching for his poor performance after signing the contract; Dareus has essentially done the same. He's now in a defense that is ideal for his skill set. Yet he hasn't made any plays beyond playing stout in a space-eating role.

I never suggested that they release him; it's impossible anyway right now. I suspect that he will be cut after June 1 of next year, however.

Dareus to me is still and above average effective player even though he is supposedly not busting his ass out there. I really hope that he gets it in gear, because he is an absolutely dominant force when he is locked in. If this defense is going to be dominant against the better offenses in the league then they will need Dareus out there performing at a high level. Interior pressure is the most direct way to get after a QB and Dareus can be a great interior pass rusher and run stuffer.

Hopefully McD can find a way to reach him, otherwise I see a pennies on the dollar trade coming in the off-season.

Haynesworth failed in New England and Tampa Bay. He was cut by NE in midseason and went unpursued by TB after he played half a season for them. Look at his AV in the season right before his big contract -- 18 ( https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaynAl20.htm). Dareus had a 17 AV in the year before his big contract. Haynesworth blamed the Washington coaching for his poor performance after signing the contract; Dareus has essentially done the same. He's now in a defense that is ideal for his skill set. Yet he hasn't made any plays beyond playing stout in a space-eating role.

I never suggested that they release him; it's impossible anyway right now. I suspect that he will be cut after June 1 of next year, however.

Dareus still being a effective player and the tantalizing potential he has leads me to think that a team would take on his large contract for a mid round pick. Some team desperate to improve defensively would easily be willing to give up a 4th or 5th round pick for him hoping that a new environment could turn him around or at worst they get a above average player who is still better than what they had.

For me it is frustrating that he isn't the dominant force he can be, as good as the defense has been they need Dareus to be the man up the middle if they want to be dominant against New England, Atlanta, and other elite offenses.