Emergency Team Meeting - Regarding Trump comments?

boater

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your understanding of this situation is lacking a gratuitous amount of what the first amendment is about.

These athletes have no more right to do this on the field than you have the right to go to work and profess your personal beliefs.

Freedom of speech and the first amendment is not protected in an employee/employer relationship. Especially when a contract stipulates expected behavior.

Your entire premise is wrong. So completely wrong that you have no basis to speak further believing this is about free speech.

If these people really believed in this principle they'd be outraged that people lost their jobs for attending the march on Charlottesville.

In principle that is even more outrageous as those people protested on their own time whereas these athletes do it in uniform on company time and on company property.

They don't believe in freedom of speech, only in freedom of speech they agree with

I am not. He should be the Voice of the People. not his personal twitter binge.

If he was not The President of The United States of America , i would care less.

but he is The Leader we voted into Office.

Does he represent the majority of Our Country? Yikes

but it is true. Just another senile tweet

Don't get it twisted E-man, I don't agree with a lot of what he says.

That doesn't mean that I don't think he should be allowed to say it.

That's all.

If these people really believed in this principle they'd be outraged that people lost their jobs for attending the march on Charlottesville.

In principle that is even more outrageous as those people protested on their own time whereas these athletes do it in uniform on company time and on company property.

They don't believe in freedom of speech, only in freedom of speech they agree with

no because hate speech isn't protected by the first amendment. Those Nazis deserve it.

So Trump is spitting on the 1st ammendment yet again. Scary stuff.

Would you be allowed to protest while on the clock, in uniform, representing your company?

The 1st amendment is not as straight forward while you are at work, representing the company. Its up to the company to decide what you can do and/or say.

Don't get it twisted E-man, I don't agree with a lot of what he says.

That doesn't mean that I don't think he should be allowed to say it.

That's all.

guy jerks my chains is all. and this is how he tweets about North Korea as well. I have concerns!

Agreed, he CAN say nearly anything he wishes.

Don't worry, I get ya !

If you see an equivalence between actual white supremacists, and football players kneeling for an anthem at a football game, you have more serious issues than can be resolved on a football forum.

Would you be allowed to protest while on the clock, in uniform, representing your company?

The 1st amendment is not as straight forward while you are at work, representing the company. Its up to the company to decide what you can do and/or say.

Yeah, and they've (the NFL) already said that kneeling during the anthem is encouraged but not required. So this is a lot of moaning about nothing at all.

He's not oppressing free speech in any way whatsoever. He hasn't signed any kind of EO requiring folks to say/not say what they want. He's not pushing for legislation. He's simply voicing his opinion that owners should fire players for protesting (which, as you point out, they can)...rightly or wrongly.

Oppressing free speech would include inflicting violence against those that say things with which you don't agree, etc...it's important, IMO, to consider who does such things.

Agreed though it bears careful watching. The president pressuring organizations to fire employees for dissent against the government is not a good look.

Is his statement enough to cross the line? Probably not. Is it inappropriate? Certainly is.

Do you think goodell was very cautious in his reply hoping to stand up for his players without receiving punishment? I do. And that's a problem.