I love narratives to make points - SF Defense & Watkins

Billsfan1972

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fans want to believe so badly that the team is on the right track that they will construct ludicrous narratives to explain what is happening.

Exactly. Lots of mental illness on here.

That's fine with me as long as long as that direction has us getting our first franchise QB in the draft since Jim Kelly retired. The further down we fall this season the easier and less costly that will be.

The franchise QB is almost a lock. You should make SB plans for next year.

Edited by nedboy7

So SF who held Newton to less passing yards then Buff did and Seattle on the road to also under 200 yards passing now has a lousy defense once the LA Rams shred them.

Watkins who had 7 targets in two weeks, caught 6 of 7 yesterday, but again is soft as he is in concussion protocol.

His fans claimed that Goff still trying to get comfortable with him, like TT with Matthews.....

Conversely Philly seems not to miss Matthews at all either.

Again it is obvious watching the Rams, that Goff looks just okay, but when you have an offensive scheme, movement and interesting packages, everyone looks better and played are open.

And as Bills fan the idea of a 300 yard passing game is just a dream.

Will see what happens Sunday, and who knows come Monday the Bills maybe the surprise of the NFL season (or allow 40 points).

Yes only 2 games + 1, but anyone who says Watkins isn't a top receiver Talent and only salivates about draft picks just is not watching the game.

The reason these narratives are so goofy is that they focus on the wrong things. The truth, that the media doesn't want to talk about, is that (1) football is complicated and (2) coaching is by far the most important aspect of the game.

The media doesn't want to focus on that because people aren't interested in complicated and they aren't interested in coaching. They're interested in plays that are fun to watch, and so the narrative they tend to believe is the narrative about special players.

Other than quarterbacks, special players just aren't that important. The Bills didn't unload Sammy because they didn't believe he's a special player. They unloaded him because the new regime in Buffalo knows that it isn't worth spending a lot of money on special players who aren't quarterbacks.

The media doesn't promote the idea that football is complicated. One aspect of the game being complicated is that the early season games are unpredictable. ALL the teams are still trying to master their systems, and with new coaches and systems it's even harder. So every season we get these weird unpredictable results and the fans are perplexed - they can't reconcile results. Well, just wait until November. By then it will be clear which teams have an edge and which don't, and the edge will NOT be because this team has a particular non-quarteback and the other team doesn't. The edge is that the best teams have better systems and better coaches, so the players perform better as a TEAM.

So, yes, Sammy can have some early season success and yes Matthews can struggle. That isn't what it's about. Let's see which team is playing the best football in November.

That's fine with me as long as long as that direction has us getting our first franchise QB in the draft since Jim Kelly retired. The further down we fall this season the easier and less costly that will be.

Oh great. Then we can follow the "Colts with Luck" trajectory to the bottom.

Did you watch the game? Is he suddenly going to lose his skills?

If Goff gets hurt and they get Pee Wee Herman off the FA wire, then he won't catch another pass all year. Would that mean he has lost talent? Monster numbers or not we decided we needed to get rid of a guy with that level of talent and that was a BAD decision.

The thing that really ticks me off is all the people who's number one reason for getting rid of Sammy was to correct the mistake of using two 1sts and 4th on him when we drafted him. That should have never been a factor. It's not like you can go back and change the original cost of acquiring Sammy and getting a #2 CB and a 2nd round pick certainly doesn't make things alright again.

Meh...without a QB to deliver the ball, WR discussion on this team is just a bunch of blah blah blah.

Further, this team is not designed to win this season, obviously, and this organization told Tyrod loudly and clearly last year "WE DON'T WANT YOU."

The fact that he is here at all is purely a function of lack of interest in Tyrod.

We're moving on to a QB who can deliver the ball. When we have one, we can discuss who the WRs should be.

There's plenty of WR talent out there.

The franchise QB is almost a lock. You should make SB plans for next year.

It's a lock that we will draft a QB in the first. Whether they end up a franchise guy or not who knows. But I guess you can't get one if you don't play the game of taking one.

Oh great. Then we can follow the "Colts with Luck" trajectory to the bottom.

You wouldn't take that over what we have been doing the last 17 years?

Sure looked like they missed something on offense last week

The QB Wentz will be the first to say he had a special relationship with Matthews.

Those 2 clicked.

The poster I was answering asked why JM was so expendable if he was good,to answer that completely is that Philly had WR depth and needed another CB they had Agalor pencilled in for slot so JM was traded to the Bills.

False. They could have gotten him for a cheap 5th year. All they had to do was pick up his option.

I'd hardly call 13 million "Cheap" especially for a player who has been somewhat injury prone his 1st three seasons... And "tagging him" thereafter is hardly a great option either (especially after that 1st "tag")

His infatuation with EJ was his biggest downfall IMO.

Some of you obsess over this silly fact. He believed in a guy who draft and thought he wasn't developed right under Marrone (which he wasn't). I mean I know we live in a world where people give up on rookie Qbs after 7 games (Jared Goff) but it was perfectly reasonable to keep him. He brought several vets in to compete with EJ and EJ ended up being the backup. EJ is now the backup on one of the best teams in the NFL.

I'd hardly call 13 million "Cheap" especially for a player who has been somewhat injury prone his 1st three seasons... And "tagging him" thereafter is hardly a great option either (especially after that 1st "tag")

He's a player. In the league. He's talented. Someone is going to pay him. You saw why last night.

I guess our choice is to save money and have players with lesser talent. This would be a good idea if they had two Super Bowls. One would be the normal one and the other would be a measure of player production vs. salary. Maybe we could win that. Lorax was cheap last year as was Zach. TT was pretty cheap and Sammy was on a rookie contract too. We went 7-9. We might have won that.

Some of you obsess over this silly fact. He believed in a guy who draft and thought he wasn't developed right under Marrone (which he wasn't). I mean I know we live in a world where people give up on rookie Qbs after 7 games (Jared Goff) but it was perfectly reasonable to keep him. He brought several vets in to compete with EJ and EJ ended up being the backup. EJ is now the backup on one of the best teams in the NFL.

AND he beat out Connor Cook easily. AND we have known for years and years and years about the great prospect Connor Cook.

The QB Wentz will be the first to say he had a special relationship with Matthews.

Those 2 clicked.

The poster I was answering asked why JM was so expendable if he was good,to answer that completely is that Philly had WR depth and needed another CB they had Agalor pencilled in for slot so JM was traded to the Bills.

JM was his best friend. JM had a good rookie year but it was clear he was miscast as a #1 wr. He's not physically talented enough.

But I would have been with trading for JM if we kept Sammy because they would have given us one of the best receiving groups in the NFL. Instead, we made it one of the weaknest.

It's a Bills tradition instead of improving on a strength, we ruin it.

My choices are years of nothing or the most overrated player in football history throttling my team's salary cap and ensuring another decade of nothing? I'll take option 3.

Sure. But that wasn't an option.

I certainly don't want to continue to do what we have been doing the last 17 years. Are there really people that are against drafting a QB high in this next draft? So far it seems there are at least a couple of you in this thread.

It's worked great for the Colts. Get. QB and surround him with trash.

So you are in the don't draft a QB high camp in next years draft?

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Other than quarterbacks, special players just aren't that important. The Bills didn't unload Sammy because they didn't believe he's a special player. They unloaded him because the new regime in Buffalo knows that it isn't worth spending a lot of money on special players who aren't quarterbacks.

It is true that elite receivers generally don't win championships. And Sammy has never proven he is elite anyways so he will not be worth the elite contract he ends up getting.

People focus on Sammy's production but that isn't the only way the Rams could lose the trade. What if Sammy ends up a great receiver, 1,000+ yards every season and they pay him a top contract? A clear win for the Rams, right? But what if in 2 years their defense is keeping them from real success and they are preparing to pay Jared Goff? Now their salary cap is full and they don't have real success to show for it. Did they win the trade then? What if Zay Jones ends up developing into a #1 and we use the 2nd round pick on a RT or DT? The full results of the trade won't be clear for a couple seasons.

Sure. But that wasn't an option.

I certainly don't want to continue to do what we have been doing the last 17 years. Are there really people that are against drafting a QB high in this next draft? So far it seems there are at least a couple of you in this thread.

I'm not against drafting a QB. I'm against it being our entire strategy and a basket with all our eggs.

It is true that elite receivers generally don't win championships. And Sammy has never proven he is elite anyways so he will not be worth the elite contract he ends up getting.

People focus on Sammy's production but that isn't the only way the Rams could lose the trade. What if Sammy ends up a great receiver, 1,000+ yards every season and they pay him a top contract? A clear win for the Rams, right? But what if in 2 years their defense is keeping them from real success and they are preparing to pay Jared Goff? Now their salary cap is full and they don't have real success to show for it. Did they win the trade then? What if Zay Jones ends up developing into a #1 and we use the 2nd round pick on a RT or DT? The full results of the trade won't be clear for a couple seasons.

Which is fine....wrong but fine....if Beane didn't say we did the trade in an effort to win now. It was clearly a lie so ridiculous that it showed disdain for the fane base.

I'm not against drafting a QB. I'm against it being our entire strategy and a basket with all our eggs.

The Luck situation in Indy is an anomaly so I wouldn't be so wrapped up and concerned with that as it seems you are.

Luck isn't even the highest paid QB in the league right? That team has more problems than just an injured QB right now. If other teams can figure out ways to make their QB the highest paid in the league and still have success then the Colts should too. They've just had bad scouting and management when it comes to adding other pieces to the roster.

Not to mention we might all be over reacting about Luck anyway if he comes back healthy next year and the Colts make the playoffs four out of the next 8 years.

Plus when you draft a rookie QB they are on a cheap rookie contract so you are nowhere near having all your eggs in one basket. That decision doesn't come until 4 our 5 years down the road.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Which is fine....wrong but fine....if Beane didn't say we did the trade in an effort to win now. It was clearly a lie so ridiculous that it showed disdain for the fane base.

Why can't you just trust them and let them work their plan?

I think these guys are going to get it right.

If they don't I won't lose any sleep,my lively hood isn't tied to the Bills and I may save some money by not renewing my season tickets;)

Sit back and enjoy the ride there is nothing we can do about it anyway.

Edited by JMF2006