DeMaurice Smith Re-elected as NFLPA Executive Director

26CornerBlitz

@ProFootballTalk

With De Smith's contract extended, the NFL hopes talks on a CBA extension will commence soon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/20/nfl-hopes-cba-extension-talks-will-commence-soon/

The NFL Players Association has decided to keep executive director DeMaurice Smith. The NFL hopes that the certainty that arises from thIS decision will spark talks on an extension of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

“We congratulate Mr. Smith on his re-election,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said Tuesday during a periodic media briefing. “I think we had productive negotiations with him in 2011. We believe strongly that it has worked for both parties, for owners and for players.”

Things have been rancorous lately between the NFLPA and the League. Let's hope they can agree on an extension of the CBA before the current deal expires.

#teamNFL here.

just so they can get weed and reduced fines.

I'd love it for Brady to champion the penile issues

in exchange for weed, we ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

sorry.... what does that say?

weed is to the NFLPA as Dental Plan is to Homer Simpson

I predict a lost season coming up. Smith knows the perception is that the players got hosed last time so he'll be out for blood this round.

players have been hosed every single time since they organized, they are so weak as a power base compared to the owners

last time the owners weren't allowed to defer collected TV revenues, that ended it

this could be two years until the players come crawling back

I predict a lost season coming up. Smith knows the perception is that the players got hosed last time so he'll be out for blood this round.

players have been hosed every single time since they organized, they are so weak as a power base compared to the owners

last time the owners weren't allowed to defer collected TV revenues, that ended it

this could be two years until the players come crawling back

So we should be preparing for Scab games in the future?

Klemko blames Smith for the lousy state of the NFL game. Is he right?

@SInow

Players got younger, and football got worse. The effects of the 2011 CBA are evident on Sundays

https://www.si.com/2017/09/20/demaurice-smith-reelected-bad-football

What would have been DeMaurice Smith’s legacy as NFLPA boss, I wonder, if he had not been re-elected yesterday to lead the union into the second collective bargaining era of his career? What has Smith, the University of Virginia-educated lawyer, delivered since his election in 2009? I think you’re watching it.

Bad football is a pervasive theme of the 2017 NFL campaign. You could put together a feature-length film consisting merely of offensive tackles being slapped aside, bulldozed or put on ice skates in the first two weeks of the season. The league’s newfangled next-gen route-tracking technology gives us painfully precise recreations of wobbly out routes and wayward post-corners. On Sunday we’re sending the good people of London a scintillating showdown between Joe Flacco and Blake Bortles.

What happened? DeMaurice Smith’s NFLPA happened.

In an effort to curb exorbitant rookie salaries that owners and players alike agreed were getting out of hand, the NFLPA overcorrected, enacting a rookie wage scale that incentivized NFL teams to stockpile young talent and save surplus cash for a handful of second contracts. The union also agreed to shortened practice time in the offseason, a measure that had the full backing of players but should have been more carefully scrutinized. The consequences are clear.